Mad Men Season 7

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Mad Men Season 7

Postby Col. Quisp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:53 pm

I stopped watching TV but when my favorite show premiered its 7th season a couple of days ago, i had to go for it on Amazon season pass. One thing I'm good at is spotting shibboleths.

The biggie in the season opener was repeated references to the "4 p's" - they were talking about some business terminology but I think they were really talking about the Process Church. It was repeated at least 3 times, maybe 4. I will re-watch and count. The reason I think I'm right is, that Roger Sterling's daughter invited him to brunch so she could "forgive" him for his transgressions. he asked if she'd joined a religion, and she smiled and said "not in the way you think." She said something about "love" transcending sin...and I think that's what the Process Church preached. (I know, lots of religions say that...but coupled with the multiply spoken "4p" I think they are implying she has joined the Process Church.)

Then there's Megan's new house in LA, where the coyote noises echo from the canyon below...my prediction is that either Sally or her friend Sandy will be involved with the Family.

I thought I saw the Manson bus outside the airport when Megan picked Don up in LA.

There was also one like this:

Here's a snip from an interesting blogpost (they don't connect the Manson bus!)

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/serial-killer-expert-analyzes-mad-men-for-clues.html

And then there’s Megan’s career. The pilot she was auditioning for, Bracken’s World, was a real show about starlets trying to make it in Hollywood.
You could link that back to Valley of the Dolls, which Sharon Tate was in. And that was sort of that lifestyle. Though Megan hasn’t started taking drugs yet. [Editor’s note: Bracken’s World was created by Dorothy Kingsley, who co-wrote the Valley of the Dolls screenplay. Eerie!]

Okay, here’s the big one: Folgers coffee. Peggy and Ted have this big conversation about coffee while Peggy is holding a Folgers can, and then Stan walks in and says something like, “That was not about coffee.”
And Abigail Folger was one of Charles Manson’s victims. She was the heiress to the Folgers coffee fortune and was a friend of Roman Polanski, so she was staying at the house. I think that’s probably a good catch on your part. Because why would they have that coffee room debate?

Last season, the show made pointed references to Polanski’s Rosemary’s Baby: Sally was reading the novel, four of the characters saw a screening of the film, and Peggy and Ted pitched an ad campaign based on it. I guess that ties into the general theme of innocence being corrupted in the late 1960s?
Not just corrupted — invaded. And also, advertising is about mind control, and Rosemary’s Baby was all about mind control. If only someone was living at the Dakota! [Laughs.] But advertising, everything they do is about manipulating people through subliminal imagery, and getting them to behave in a certain way. At the beginning of Mad Men, the characters were approaching the ad business like, “We’re doing good things for people, bringing these products into their lives.” But now it’s getting darker and darker, as they realize, this is really just manipulating people and making them do what we want them to do.
Col. Quisp

Blog: View Blog (0)

we've only just begun to live

Postby IanEye » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:35 pm

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: Mad Men Season 7

Postby Col. Quisp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Perhaps I am over-analyzing the show. But dammit, that bus made me think of Manson! And Gary Hinman had to give them his VW bus, which was grey, not yellow, but the one behind the big white bus made me think of him.
Col. Quisp

Postby Laodicean » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm

The Sharon Tate theories are still in play. Megan resides in Laurel Canyon, n'est pas?

Draper is Dante's Inferno.

Neve Campbell looks great.

Waiting a year for the last 7 eps is BS, AMC.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby conniption » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:11 am

Not sure, Colonel, but the following may have something to do with MM. I've not watched the show myself.

alicublog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014
SEASON 7, EPISODE 2.

Posted by roy edroso at 11:15 PM
30 Comments
conniption

Postby justdrew » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:43 am

you know, after 20 years of fairly directed interest and study - and 20 years more before that of causal to mild study, I think I may finally be about sick and tired of the fucking sixties.

seriously, this damned decade has been shoved down our gullets for my entire life (born 29may69) (according to the paperwork anyway).

ENOUGH already :partyhat

and after all that time, I STILL constantly discover "new" bands from then, and REALLY, we're only talking 6 or 7 years of "the 60's" as we generally mean the term, and 65-69 is really the main bit. How the fuck can so much shit come from a single fucking five year period? There's crosstime pollution going on if you ask me. I think when other "parallel" worlds collapse various detritus washes up in our world. :wink:

anyway, clearly the primary mythological narratives of the last 50 years were laid down in that time, just after the rise of serious psychological population control methods were widely introduced with mass television,radio,movies, etc. and whole industries sprung up to guide us. guide us where? around and around in circles apparently.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Col. Quisp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Sorry. dude. The 60's was the best decade ever! Sorry you missed it, man.
Col. Quisp

Postby Col. Quisp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanx, conniption! I read the wall street journal's blog post about this episode. Not impressed... Will check this one out.
Col. Quisp

Postby Laodicean » Thu May 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Type.
Laodicean

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu May 15, 2014 5:11 pm

I am an anti-advertising activist (outside in the broader world, this is probably little-known, but there's a massive schism between "the craft of design" and "the business of advertising", made all the more confusing because every designer participates in some advertising to some degree at some point. A certain radical faction of modernist designers treat advertising as it should be treated, other centrist types know there's something skeevy about it but rarely put it into words or action.

I hope and believe that this show ends on a massive anti-advertising tirade and perhaps extends into a larger critique of the modern capitalist machine. I feel it heading that way but that might just be confirmation bias.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Laodicean » Fri May 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Apparently too many nipples for both Don and Ginsberg to handle.
Laodicean

Postby justdrew » Sat May 17, 2014 2:10 am

let me try and clarify some of this for you...

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Return to The Lounge & Member News