Football World Cup, 2014

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Football World Cup, 2014

Postby Hunter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:29 am

SonicG » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:32 pm wrote:FWIW - I grew up red-blooded Merikan and was a somewhat fan of the major sports but lost interest as I became more politically activated until one lazy Saturday afternoon when a nice fat solo joint had me stuck on the couch giving soccer a fair chance.. It was an Inter -Milan derby that ended in a one-one draw but I was hooked ever since. I was fascinated by the midfield battle and the continually fluid play...All the incredible salaries and FIFA corruption aside, it is still a very pure sport...
Kind of amazing that three of the four Concacaf teams are through but while Mexico has a shot, I really can't see the US besting Belgium.

Agree with all of this, it is really kind of an extension of the first thing we do as kids, kicking rocks, kicking balls around and if you watch closely you really cant help but have an appreciation for how well these guys control that ball. There are plenty of reasons to be upset about the World Cup and this that and the other but if you are gonna piss on Soccer and the WC for that then you should probably also quit driving your car, buying any name brand corporate products, stop eating all GMO foods and on and on and on, yes the world is a fucked up place but I try and take what little enjoyment I can while also doing what I can to make it a better place. If people want to boycott it that is fine, I get it, but dont look down on me for watching and enjoying it because I am sure there are plenty of things in your own life I could find that contributes to just as much of the fuckery as me watching a soccer game on TV and that may be something as simple and seemingly innocent as using google or buying and using a iphone.

The great thing about Soccer unlike most other sports is that it is accessible to even the most poor in the world, Soccer gives a lot of poor kids hope, something to do that is healthy and keeps them active and all they need is a ball and a little space to kick it and pass it around. There is nothing wrong with that, it is a good thing.

Also Belgium can be beat, beyond that it would take a bit of a miracle for us to advance further, we just dont have the kind of talent those top eight teams have.
Hunter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Hunter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:51 am

Lukas has seen some football in his time...he likes this scrappy American team,

RECIFE, Brazil – Germany star Lukas Podolski backed the United States to keep its World Cup dream alive by springing an upset against Belgium in the round of 16.

Despite Germany dominating Thursday’s clash in Recife and comfortably beating the U.S. 1-0, Podolski saw enough to believe that Jurgen Klinsmann’s side has a genuine chance to reach the quarterfinals.

“They play well,” Podolski told Yahoo Sports. “They play like Germany and they fight, they run, this is the game of the U.S. I think they are happy that they are second in the group and they go through to the next round.

“Against Belgium? Why not? They give all of what they have – this is their football. With this kind of football they can go to the next round.

“The Americans have done very well in this group. Before the tournament everyone said Ghana and U.S. will go out and Portugal and Germany will go through, but see what happened.”

If you beat Ghana and draw with Portugal, you deserve to reach the round of 16.
Hunter

Postby jingofever » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:28 am

The kicker is not the only person allowed to kick the football. The quarterback sometimes kicks with a quick kick. That is why it is called football.
jingofever

Postby Rory » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Gridiron Football is the North American variety. Or Handegg.

Football is what the other 95% of the planet plays.
Rory

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:38 pm

What's with all the biting? Not just Suarez (who's done it thrice in his career that we know of) but now an England fan has also had his earlobe bitten off by another England fan - which coincidentally happened at the very game where Suarez's goal put England out?

What's it all about? Stop it with the biting! It's supposed to be a last resort in a life or death fight, not a recreational activity when you're stuck in a crowded space, or a useful bit of sports' psychology (which I fear might be how Suarez sees it - perhaps like Mike Tyson before him).
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby beeline » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Rory » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:16 pm wrote:Gridiron Football is the North American variety. Or Handegg.

Football is what the other 95% of the planet plays.

Great quote from Reddit follows:

Despite my flair & posts in other reddits indicating support for Argentina, I am in fact English, 45 years old and live in England.
I need to mention two types of school which have different names in different English speaking countries. For simplicity I'll call them 'State Funded Schools' & 'Fee Paying Schools'. In England the rich and powerful went to 'Fee Paying Schools' and the rest of the population went to 'State Funded Schools'

The historic hatred of the word soccer by many British people has almost nothing to do with Americans using the term, it due to the origins and the use of the word, the 'class' of those that tried to impose the word, and the attitude of those that used soccer towards the game.

The UK is a country which up until the the late 1970's was dominated by it's class system. This class system should not be confused with an Indian style 'caste system' because there was social movement through the classes. The British 'class system' was a culture of people deliberately separating themselves due to a perceived status based on type of work and level of wealth. Back then someone who was 'middle class' would avoid social interaction with someone who was 'working class', or be seen to like the same things as a 'working class' person.

Association Football is a game created by England's urban 'working class' during the late 19th Century, which over time became popular with the rest of the UK's 'working class'. It also became popular with small amounts of the 'middle class' and 'upper class'. It was during that early period that the word soccer first appeared, but used by the 'upper class'. The absolute etymology of soccer is disputed. 10 years ago the BBC ran a series called "Balderdash & Piffle" where they worked with the Oxford English Dictionary to explain the history of English words. This authoritative programme advised that the likely source of the word soccer came from 'upper class' going to 'Fee Paying Schools' & elite Universities. During the late 19th Century these rich 'upper class' youths had a fashion for shortening their favourite pastimes and ending them with -er. So Rugby Football=Rugger, Association Football=Soccer, and Buggery=Bugger.

Over time Soccer became the term that the Upper Class used for Association Football while the working class called it Football. The class system dominated British culture up to the late 1970's. This domination included our TV & Radio. Everyone, including 'working class' people, were expected to use 'Queens English' when on TV & Radio. The fake 'Queens English' you hear from working class people being filmed back then is ridiculous. One impact of this is that TV, Radio, and books commonly referred to 'football' as soccer, because that's what the 'Upper Class' demanded.

So yes, books and TV would have referred to the game as soccer up to recently, but that was because the 'upper class' that controlled the media demanded the use the term. As result of this the typical 'working class' British football supporter hated the term soccer which was being forced upon them by the 'upper class'. My father was a union man and shop steward, and he would go into a red faced rage when he heard footballers using the term on TV. He considered them class traitors.

I think people in the UK under the age of 30 find it hard to believe that the class system was so absolute in the UK, but I can tell you it was.

Best personal example I can give is when I went to University in 1990. Most of the people at my University were from state funded schools and of 'working class' or 'middle class' backgrounds and called the game Football. The small number from 'fee paying schools' (upper class backgrounds) called the game soccer and always said the word with a sneer as if it was peasants game. One of my friends had gone to a 'fee paying school' and told me that football was banned at the school, and in fact up to approx 1985 you were punished if you were caught playing 'soccer'. The punishment was caning! (being beaten with a stick) So at least up until the early 1980's some schools for upper class children that called the game 'soccer' banned the game and if you were caught playing you were punished with a beating.

That's why so many Brits, me included, hate the term soccer.

FWIW I am rooting for Netherlands (my mother's home nation) and of course the US, although we haven't a shit chance vs. Belgium tomorrow.
beeline

Postby stefano » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks beeline, interesting read!

It's narrowing down fast now. Brazil squeaked in against Chile, hey. Chile very nearly scored near the end of extra time, with that thumping strike that hit the crossbar. I wonder what would have happened if they had been knocked out... I'm sure the riot police have a detailed plan for that contingency.

Last night saw the two last African teams bow out - Nigeria lost a very respectable game to France, with the Nigerian keeper playing a stormer until he swatted a ball basically onto Pogba's head... The captain then sealed it with an own goal. Nothing very exciting or structured from the French. Algeria kept the Germans running until extra time.

Looking forward to Brazil-Colombia, that's going to be a cracker! And good luck USA, I don't think Belgium are all that strong, it could go either way.
stefano

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm

And as it narrows the surprises get knocked out as almost always and you're left with the onrushing prospect in the semis of toss-ups between Brazil-Germany (or France) and Holland-Argentina. The usual suspects, all frequent finalists (Holland 3x without winning). But you never know. Go Colombia, go Costa Rica, you last hopes for Something New. (Arrrrrgh though the Greeks should have won that game in regular time - so many more shots on goal, so many great saves for the CRs - while the Greek keeper seemed to freeze up in letting in a pretty weak shot. This prefigured the predictable outcome in the penalties. The difference was the keepers, all the way.)
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby stefano » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Au revoir, les bleus. Good game, ranging fast from end to end, there wasn't much in it. The German defence made the difference, rushing back quickly and in numbers every time the French made a break, harrying the French strikers and making sure they didn't have time to set up a dip from the best position. Still, the French strikers made some good shots with the ball they got, especially Benzema. France are a much classier outfit than the last time I watched them - I like coach Didier Deschamps's style.

Tonight's game could be a classic, i'm looking forward to it.
stefano

Postby stefano » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Well it was a good game... Didn't go the way I was hoping, but that stunning free kick goal from David Luiz earned it. Messy game, especially the second half, and Brazil deserved more bookings than they got. Conspiracy? Might well have been, but Colombia just didn't spend enough time in front of the Brazilian goal to pull it off. Also the first time I heard James Rodriguez's name pronounced - I'd somehow always thought it was like Bond, but (obviously) it's got that aspirated j like jamon. Ha-mess Rodriguez.
stefano

Postby stefano » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Stop me if I'm boring you. Insightful little tidbit from the live commentary of the Argentina game by the Guardian's Paul Doyle:

Paul Doyle wrote:Funny how things go. With the game going through its first lull, ITV are paying tribute to the meticulousness of Belgium manager Marc Wilmots, noting approvingly that "he has already changed hotels once on this trip because he felt it didn't meet with the player's needs". When some Ghana players complained about their accommodation, they were depicted as spoilt prats. Just saying.

I couldn't watch the Argentina game but the result was obviously to form, just as I'd be surprised if the Dutch lose later.
stefano

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Saw it. Argentina deserved it. After the goal, closed all space for Belgium systematically, but still mounted attacks and kept possession most of the time.

As a kid I loved the Dutch because kids go for bright orange and apparently small, underdog countries. As a young adult still, because Holland, home of free pot and radical squatters and canals and Van Gogh and the kind of women I love, right?

Nowadays I'm sick of these rowdies. Out with them!

Costa Rica is, in fact, the last chance for any surprise on the way to a familiar and predictable final four. The idea that they'd defeat Holland and then Argentina is totally absurd. So let's settle for upseting Holland and creating the first semifinals with only a single European hope. Of course, that will be Germany, my pick to beat Brazil and win the final.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:29 pm

What a great goalkeeper Costa Rica has. Can he hold off another 10-20 Dutch shots? The Hollanders are dominating the field so much that only Nevas and the offsides flag seem to stop them. It's proven they will continue to threaten until the final second, so it will be a real miracle if CR wins. Stop the barrages and hope for a goal off a set piece.

-- Bizarrely, the announcer just said that all of the other teams CR played so far are ranked more highly by FIFA than NL, including Greece and Uruguay. That's nuts. NL has been the class of this tournament, I must reluctantly say.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:02 pm

Damn! And I thought penalties was where they'd win. But NL had this secret weapon, the giant goalie-substitute. Wow bizarre.

So like I said, Brazil-Germany and Argentina-Netherlands. All group winners and it's what you would have predicted back when they were 16, if you just went with the traditional overdogs. I like Germany over Argentina but obviously any of the four can make it.

JackRiddler

Postby stefano » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:56 am

Wow, Germany beat Brazil 7-1. Unbelievable. I thought it would be a good game but wasn't expecting such a rout - no one was. Couldn't watch the game, but this is a good write-up, interesting about Germany's thorough technical preparation:

BLITZKRIEG

Germany made it to the final of the 2014 World Cup with an emphatic 7-1 win over Brazil in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday. It was a hopeless showing from the hosts, but out of this world from Germany. By ANTOINETTE MULLER.

Like an earthquake, it could not be predicted and like religion, it could not be rationalised. The odds on Germany being 5-0 up by half-time in their semi-final against Brazil in Belo Horizonte on Wednesday night were 2,000-1.

But sport does not lend itself to scripts or odds, especially not when the one team has been preparing for this for two years while the other has been playing the victim.

The lead up to Brazil's humiliation was tainted with a public mourning of a player who had suffered an injury. It was like Neymar had died, not simply exited a World Cup. The public outcry, the jersey during the anthems, the fuss about his impact, everything only served to fester as an inferiority complex for the hosts.

Brazil's shaken psychology following the loss of Neymar is perhaps comparable to 1998, when Ronaldo had an epileptic fit before the final. Ronaldo convulsed and was taken to hospital just three hours before that shambolic result.

Ronaldo was not going to play that day, but after spending some time at a hospital, he was eventually put up to the task. But Brazil were under-par. All the pre-match confidence had disintegrated and they lost 0-3 to France, notably conceding two goals from corners. Mário Zagallo, then coach of the team, admitted that the preparation was “abnormal”. The shock of a fit might be much more complex to process than losing a player through a tackle; Neymar’s influence was on par with Il Fenomeno’s. A a team losing their talisman can be detrimental. But these are pro sportsmen. Sport might love theatrical misery, but it does not mean one should bow to it.

Germany had been struck down with flu in the lead up to the match and while they had shown blips, particularly against Ghana, they learnt from their mistakes. Joachim Löw, for all his stubbornness, made the tactical changes he knew would drive his team forward in the semi-final.

But Die Mannschaft had been in training for this moment long before it presented itself. Quietly, for the last two years, they’ve been making sure they are ready for this.

No European team has won any of the previous six World Cups in Latin America, but where there is an anomaly, there is reasonable counter theory.

Over the last two years, about 50 students at Cologne’s sport university had been compiling a giant data base of players across the world. Scouting reports and meticulous detail of Brazil and its players and other opponents Germany would face had all formed part of their preparation for this tournament. Clichéd as it might be, this was German efficiency at its best.

Every run, every newspaper and every single little detail available has been put together for every team Germany would face.
It's like a German version of Football Manager, only far more nuanced.

Wednesday night started off as quite ordinary, with both sides pushing and attacking and Fred existing for reasons only known to Luis Scolari. But that all changed very quickly. It took ten minutes for Germany to open the scoring. After winning a corner, Thomas Muller was left completely unmarked at the edge of the box and all he had to do was volley home.

The piece of thread that had been flapping around for Brazil was now being tugged and pulled and just 13 minutes later, the frailties would completely unravel. Brazil went from 2-0 after 22 minutes to 5-0 after 29 minutes through sheer talent, unselfishness and complete and coherent vision. As present as the German attack was, that is how invisible the Brazilian defence had been.

By now, Germany looked almost embarrassed to be scoring so fluently and so easily. Sure there were celebrations and they might have believed that they could quite easily dismantle Brazil, but even Germany had an air of disbelief about them.

After such an emphatic first half, the second was always going to be a little bit more subdued. Germany were happy to bide their time, but they were not happy to show any sympathy. André Schürrle had come on as a substitute and made it 6-0 in the 69th minute with yet another disastrous defensive blunder from Brazil.

By the time Germany made it seven to nil, the first country to ever score seven a World Cup semi-final, the Brazilian crowd had bestowed the ultimate humiliation on their own. They were giving the opposition Oles. German’s football was beautiful, fluid and perfect.

As the game petered towards stoppage time, there was some consolation for Germany as a rare mistake from Manuel Neur allowed Oscar to score the most pointless of World Cup goals. German’s response was furious and frustrated, which says a lot about their standards.

Brazil were hopeless, hapless, embarrassing and this result, perhaps, was one of the most shocking results in World Cup history. This wasn’t an underdog upsetting the apple cart. This was Brazil, a team who had gone unbeaten in 39 years at home in competitive matches. It’s a team which has not lost at home since being defeated by Paraguay in friendly back in 2002.

By the time the final whistle blew, Brazil’s players were in tears, their fans were booing them and fans were rioting in Sao Paolo. Some might never recover from this - and the worst part is that Brazil can’t even go home.
stefano

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News