TTZ or TOL

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

TTZ or TOL

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Which TV show do you prefer? The Twilight Zone (original 1960's series) or The Outer Limits (once again, original series)?

I bought the Outer Limits first season on DVD a while back and I thoroughly enjoyed the episodes. Well, maybe not ALL of them, but most. It seems to be more of a science fiction oriented show than The Twilight Zone. TTZ seems to be more about strange and morality tales. I'm not that familiar with TTZ though. I ask because I am considering getting TTZ on DVD as well.

Anyone a fan?
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: TTZ or TOL

Postby Elvis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:26 pm

I love both! I've seen most if not all of the old Twilight Zone episodes, they had that certain Rod Serling touch. I've seen many Outer Limits episodes over the years, perhaps not all of them, and always found them re-watchable.

This Twilight Zone episode (directed by Richard Donner) is kind of silly but I always liked Wally Cox, so it's one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjgZFh_l5iE
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Answer: ZTT

Postby IanEye » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:42 pm

trivia: how many official reboots has either series had?

trivia: what label was the pop group Art of Noise on?

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby justdrew » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:55 pm

I've watched both complete in the last few years. No preference really, both are equally good on average and have about the same % of high/low outliers from the mean. If someone just described a story to me, I'd have a hard time knowing which show it was from, except for a few exceptions.

both owe a lot to the radio drama era, in shows like Inner Sanctum.

also, lot's of the 80s reboot Twilight Zone eps are surprisingly good. You can find most full eps on youtube last I looked.

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby jingofever » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:44 am

I have never seen The Outer Limits but have seen plenty of The Twilight Zone. It seems like there are quite a few episodes about air travel. The early Treehouse of Horror episodes of The Simpsons were often rewritten Twilight Zone episodes. Maybe they used The Outer Limits too, but I would not know. Stay away from the other Serling anthology series, Night Gallery. I just remembered that it (Night Gallery) is on right now (on MeTV) and it looks like there is some trouble on an airplane. Anyway, Twilight Zone episodes range from great to bad, Night Gallery ranges from bad to horrible.
jingofever

Postby jingofever » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:29 am

Since we are talking about science fiction anthology series from the early sixties, maybe do not overlook One Step Beyond, at least for the magic mushrooms episode. See here. I am just watching it for the first time now. One of the reasons it is famous is that it features Andrija Puharich, who gives the most stilted performance I have ever seen. He sounds like a computer speech system. I think he is the guy who called up a young Jack Sarfatti.

Edit: Sarfatti has previously said that Puharich could have been behind the call.
jingofever

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Elvis » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 am wrote:I love both! I've seen most if not all of the old Twilight Zone episodes, they had that certain Rod Serling touch. I've seen many Outer Limits episodes over the years, perhaps not all of them, and always found them re-watchable.

This Twilight Zone episode (directed by Richard Donner) is kind of silly but I always liked Wally Cox, so it's one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjgZFh_l5iE

Good one. Although I must admit I knew where it was going. Still, I enjoyed it.
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Return to The Lounge & Member News