Most heard song ever?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Most heard song ever?

Postby 82_28 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:32 pm

I was down getting take-out from this burger joint and while I was waiting they had Stairway to Heaven blasting. I thought, "how many times have I really heard this song in my life"? Maybe because I worked in a bar, I heard it way more than normal. I got to thinking how many more times will I hear this in my life?

I'm one of the weird ones I think, because I always listen to it all the way through. Most people are sick of it of course.

But you guys have any candidates for most played or heard song ever and that which we will always hear for the rest of our lives? Obviously anthems and stuff like that sorta count.

In The Divine Invasion, a late Dick novel that carries on many of VALIS' metaphysical themes, electromagnetic noise play a liberating role. From his private dome on the off-world colony CY30-CY30B, Herb Asher transmits information and music to the other colonist domes. His high-tech entertainment system continually plays videos and tapes of his favorite pop singer Linda Fox, whose holographic posters cover the wall. But he keeps picking up a soupy muzak version of Fiddler on the Roof. Asher later discovers that he is actually in cryonic suspension, where his inert body picks up signals from a nearby radio station broadcasting the Broadway musical. Like the spirits in Swedenborg's afterworld, whose first order of business is to convince incoming souls that they are actually dead, the radio interference acts as an Intercessor, calling Asher to wake up to his actual condition.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Walt hears this for all eternity.

Postby IanEye » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:09 am

also, this.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: Most heard song ever?

Postby Elvis » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 pm

"You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" is a 1964 song by The Righteous Brothers which became a number-one hit single in the United States and the United Kingdom the following year. In 1999, the performing-rights organization Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) ranked the song as having had more radio and television play in the United States than any other song during the 20th century.

Bobby Hatfield reportedly expressed his annoyance to Spector upon learning that he would have to wait until the chorus before joining Medley’s vocals. When Hatfield asked Spector just what he was supposed to do during Medley’s solo, Spector replied: “You can go straight to the fucking bank.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ve_ ... _Feelin%27
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby BrandonD » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:44 pm

At my college job (a waiter at a dine in pizza hut) there was a jukebox. The most played song by far was Hotel California. I can live the rest of my life and never hear that song again.
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby jingofever » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:44 am

If anthems sorta count then the national anthem should be a contender, being played at every sporting event. Of course Rock and Roll Part 2 by the pedophile Gary Glitter is also heavily featured at sporting events. I believe in the long run the theme song to Cheers will be the most widely heard song.

continually plays videos and tapes of his favorite pop singer Linda Fox

aka Linda Ronstadt.
jingofever

Postby coffin_dodger » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:25 am

The Happy Birthday song.

A reminder, every single year, that your time is relentlessly diminishing.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby 82_28 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:03 am

I think I basically meant songs that you passively hear. Like when you're in a mall, restaurant, lobby, grocery store etc. What about Xmas songs as well? If I have to hear "The Little Drummer Boy" one more time I might have to turn myself over to ISIS and get it over with.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:11 am

BrandonD » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:44 pm wrote:At my college job (a waiter at a dine in pizza hut) there was a jukebox. The most played song by far was Hotel California. I can live the rest of my life and never hear that song again.

Good call! It's definitely up there. Good call as well (with included quote) about "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling".

Sitting at the Dock of the Bay?
82_28

Postby stefano » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:51 am

Definitely Hotel California. It's the overplayed song I think I've heard in the most weirdly different places across the world, when that too-long intro starts I look around and go 'what, here?' Also Bye Bye Miss American Pie, which is overplayed, shitty and like seven minutes long.

Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You was so intensely played at one stage that it might actually have been the most overplayed song in my life well into the 2000s.

Lately Adele's Someone Like You seems to be playing everywhere I go, and it really gets on my nerves. I get fidgety and want to leave wherever I am.
stefano

Postby Elvis » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:27 am

"Hotel California" is vile. Bleccch!!
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby BrandonD » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 am

Elvis » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:27 am wrote:"Hotel California" is vile. Bleccch!!

It's funny because that song's also one of my earliest musical memories. I was very young, one night I couldn't sleep and my mom gave me a radio walkman to listen to. This was before tape-player walkmen, they just had radio walkmen. I lied in bed and listened to the music, and Hotel California came on. The lyrics of the song terrified me - "they stabbed it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast" "you can check out any time you like but you can never leave". There was no way I was falling asleep now, I think I stayed up the whole night :lol:
"One measures a circle, beginning anywhere." -Charles Fort
BrandonD

Postby 82_28 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:22 am

Since we're on to the Eagles now, there is one song by them that I actually never tire of and that is "I can't tell you why".

And speaking of "eagles", what about "Fly Like an Eagle" by the Steve Miller Band?
82_28

Postby Laodicean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby norton ash » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:42 pm

"Satisfaction' by the Rolling Stones. Due to decades of existence and cross-format radio appeal. "Walking on Sunshine" I'm rooting for, just because I had a drink with Katrina in 1982 when the song was busting out everywhere. It's fun to see an ordinary, humble artist get super-rich for random reasons.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Laodicean » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:21 pm

^ This is sooo much better.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News