Recent American indie films

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Recent American indie films

Postby Nordic » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:50 pm

I'm trying to get back in touch with my old love for cinema, as in non-Hollywood indie fare with good stories and lacking in the Hollywood paradigms (which I am sick of).

Since basically retiring from watching movies except for the occasional one I would see with one of my kids, I also fell completely out of touch with independent cinema.

So I'm looking for recommendations. From movies made in the last 2 - 3 years.

I watched a movie last night called "Hide a Your Smiling Faces" which is an example of what I'm looking for -- very low budget, to the point where the creators apparently had total creative control, a certain minimalism, good story with ambiguities and loose ends.

Anyway would love to start a discussion here about these types of things if anyone is interested.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Recent American indie films

Postby justdrew » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:36 pm

here's a couple:
I Origins (2014)
Frank (2014)

I've been the same way last few years Nordic, I'm not sure exactly why, but here's a couple factors I've identified:

1. No matter how good the movie, if it doesn't have a multi-million marketing budget, I never find anyone else who's even seen it or heard of it. "If you can't talk about a movie, did you really see it"

2. There's so many. Most don't seem to get any 'theatrical' distribution, so are straight to streaming/dvd/redbox/etc. Any info on #releases per year? I'm guessing it's a very high number compared to say, 30 years ago.

3. There's a feeling, probably tied into #1, that 'watching' may not really be the most productive use of time.

4. "you watching a movie? 'fraid it's going to run off? or try to pull something?"
They're not going anywhere, so there's no hurry.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:36 pm

I have been trying to find a copy of American no-budget horror film "The Demon's Rook" for over a year now, so I'm just going to leave that here.

Nearly all of my favorite indie films of recent years are not American.

Fortunately, my most favorite film of the past 5 years is a product of God's Favorite Country.

It's called "Blue Ruin" and it is among the most flawless marriages of writing, acting, and cinematography I've seen. There is no dead weight, not a single wasted second, and any given still is a frame-worthy photograph.

Although it is the sort of film that would surely benefit from "going in with no preconceptions," the story is so subversive, creative and unpredictable I kind of doubt reading an IMDB synopsis would be sufficient to spoil anything. Still, I won't include it here, only my absolute highest possible recommendation.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:04 am

justdrew » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:36 pm wrote:here's a couple:
I Origins (2014)
Frank (2014)

I've been the same way last few years Nordic, I'm not sure exactly why, but here's a couple factors I've identified:

1. No matter how good the movie, if it doesn't have a multi-million marketing budget, I never find anyone else who's even seen it or heard of it. "If you can't talk about a movie, did you really see it"

2. There's so many. Most don't seem to get any 'theatrical' distribution, so are straight to streaming/dvd/redbox/etc. Any info on #releases per year? I'm guessing it's a very high number compared to say, 30 years ago.

3. There's a feeling, probably tied into #1, that 'watching' may not really be the most productive use of time.

4. "you watching a movie? 'fraid it's going to run off? or try to pull something?"
They're not going anywhere, so there's no hurry.

Yeah, good points. There was a point a few years back, maybe in the late 90s, where movies seemed to take a serious nosedive into wretchedness. I would walk out actually angry that I wouldn't get those 2 hours of my life back, and I would feel conned.

This seemed to coincide with my own experiences as a screenwriter, where it became almost impossible to get anyone to read a script. People whose job sit is to read scripts suddenly seemed to not want to do their jobs. Then there were the people themselves who are largely grotesque and horrible and amoral people you wouldn't otherwise want to spend any time with. They're just awful.

I was getting into a period where I had started a family and didn't want to do anything that I just didn't want to do, and I didn't want to help anyone or work with anyone that I didn't like. Life's too short.

I was on a job this summer where a group of the younger production assistants would sit around and talk enthusiastically about movies. We had hours and hours where we actually had nothing to do and these conversations somehow reinvigorated my old love of cinema.

I also decided I want to make at least one more movie before I die. And I have a script I've been wanting to write since college.

Anyway I have to run (family beckons, I can't even fart around at RI much these days) but that's why I'm looking into these things and why I want them to be decidedly non-Hollywood but American.

Thanks for that recco, WR. Will look for that.

Watched "Under the Skin". That was truly a weird one. Still thinking about it.
Nordic

Postby Nordic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:31 am

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 pm wrote:I have been trying to find a copy of American no-budget horror film "The Demon's Rook" for over a year now, so I'm just going to leave that here.

Nearly all of my favorite indie films of recent years are not American.

Fortunately, my most favorite film of the past 5 years is a product of God's Fa
vorite Country.

It's called "Blue Ruin" and it is among the most flawless marriages of writing, acting, and cinematography I've seen. There is no dead weight, not a single wasted second, and any given still is a frame-worthy photograph.

Although it is the sort of film that would surely benefit from "going in with no preconceptions," the story is so subversive, creative and unpredictable I kind of doubt reading an IMDB synopsis would be sufficient to spoil anything. Still, I won't include it here, only my absolute highest possible recommendation.

As luck would have it, I just watched "Blue Ruin" on Netflix. Pretty amazing, especially insofar as I was marveling at how well shot it was, wondering all the way through who the DP was, then seeing it was directed and shot by the same guy. Written as well I think. How unusual is that, and having done that myself in a few short films, it's fucking difficult. This guy pulled it off brilliantly. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just found a great interview with the filmmaker here:

https://thedissolve.com/features/emergi ... ng-to-ext/
Nordic

Postby Joao » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:46 am

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:36 pm wrote:I have been trying to find a copy of American no-budget horror film "The Demon's Rook" for over a year now, so I'm just going to leave that here..

It's can be streamed from Amazon for a couple bucks.
Joao

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:20 am

Have you guys heard of this "Blair Witch Trial"? I hear it was totally indie and shot with no budget because it was just some young sleuthers documenting their findings and what happens is really scary.

JUST KIDDING!!!

This totally reminded me of my early twenties friends who were freaking out about BWT and told me I totally had to go see it. "Dude, it's all true!" type shit. Since I trusted their judgement I went to see it for myself and we were all into indie films. This is back when Tarantino was still considered indie for instance. All I can say is what I told them after the viewing:

"You guys fucking believed that shit was real?" Arguments of why they thought so ensued.

Carry on. Just making a joke.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Nordic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:16 am

82_28 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:20 am wrote:Have you guys heard of this "Blair Witch Trial"? I hear it was totally indie and shot with no budget because it was just some young sleuthers documenting their findings and what happens is really scary.

JUST KIDDING!!!

This totally reminded me of my early twenties friends who were freaking out about BWT and told me I totally had to go see it. "Dude, it's all true!" type shit. Since I trusted their judgement I went to see it for myself and we were all into indie films. This is back when Tarantino was still considered indie for instance. All I can say is what I told them after the viewing:

"You guys fucking believed that shit was real?" Arguments of why they thought so ensued.

Carry on. Just making a joke.

Yeah, the people that made Blair Witch still owe me money for the night I went to a goddamn theater to see it. My date and I (yeah it was before I was married) just couldn't believe that THIS was what the hype was about. Just the stupidest fucking non-movie ever.

Anyway.

Anybody seen "Ida" yet? Not that it's American, it isn't, but it's getting a lot of raves, it seems.

Having trouble finding anything to watch next. This is annoying considering I have Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu plus.
Nordic

Postby Plutonia » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:51 am

Three Canadian films that I highly recommend - though I think Pontypool must be familiar to most Riggers... ?

Leolo is one of the most hauntingly moving and disturbing films I've ever seen, if not the most.

And don't be fooled by the Stories We Tell trailer, the film kicks you in the ass at the end.

[the British] government always kept a kind of standing army of news writers who without any regard to truth, or to what should be like truth, invented & put into the papers whatever might serve the minister

T Jefferson,
Plutonia

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Oh, for continuity make that one "Blair Witch PROJECT" not "trial". Again, carry on.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Nordic » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:20 am

I realized that what I'm looking for are road trip movies.

I've seen "Little Miss Sunshine" of course. Trying to think of others.

Something darker. But naturalistic. Hm, Thelma and Louise suddenly comes to mind. I've seen that of course. Very glitzy, really, that one, whole thing looks like a commercial.
Nordic

Postby jingofever » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:22 am

Nordic » 29 Jan 2015 05:20 wrote:I realized that what I'm looking for are road trip movies.

I've seen "Little Miss Sunshine" of course. Trying to think of others.

Something darker. But naturalistic. Hm, Thelma and Louise suddenly comes to mind. I've seen that of course. Very glitzy, really, that one, whole thing looks like a commercial.

You can't go wrong with Convoy, Peckinpah's best.
jingofever

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:51 am

Nordic: disdain or love for "mumblecore"?

I have to admit that a lot of it speaks to me. I loved Obvious Child, and am still thinking about the recurring RI themes in some Mark Duplass films like the almost science fictiony The One I Love and Safety Not Guaranteed.

I also enjoyed Frances Ha but I also understand the criticisms.

For other recent indie films I liked (that I can even remember right now):
Dear White People (fucking awesome)
Stoker (fucking awesome)
This is Where I Leave You
Electrick Children
Filth
Locke
Chef
The Guest

I know I'm missing a few that I really liked. Unfortunately none of these are really road movies. I'm wracking my brain for recent indie road movies.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Nordic » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:11 am

Luther Blissett » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:51 am wrote:Nordic: disdain or love for "mumblecore"?

I have to admit that a lot of it speaks to me. I loved Obvious Child, and am still thinking about the recurring RI themes in some Mark Duplass films like the almost science fictiony The One I Love and Safety Not Guaranteed.

I also enjoyed Frances Ha but I also understand the criticisms.

For other recent indie films I liked (that I can even remember right now):
Dear White People (fucking awesome)
Stoker (fucking awesome)
This is Where I Leave You
Electrick Children
Filth
Locke
Chef
The Guest

I know I'm missing a few that I really liked. Unfortunately none of these are really road movies. I'm wracking my brain for recent indie road movies.

Thanks for chiming in. My experience with mumblecore is that I hate it. Noah Baumbach, ugh. I tried watching "Greenburg" and I wanted to throw my computer across the room. And pass a law somewhere proclaiming that he never make another film ever again.

As far as Mark Duplass, I have a lot of pet peeves about that guy. I think he's a shitty actor and a marginal writer, yet somehow has his fingers in almost every indie movie that gets made these days. It's just fucking weird. I have other reasons, too, which I can't go into.

But I did like "Safety Not Guaranteed" although I thought he was miscast. The director has gone on to make some blockbuster movie like the new "Jurassic Park" or some such thing.

I'll check out the ones you recommend! Unless they're directed by Baumbach. :)
Nordic

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News