Worst moments in rock 'n' roll

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Worst moments in rock 'n' roll

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:46 pm

Bono being Bono in 1984, with a running commentary.

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Worst moments in rock 'n' roll

Postby stefano » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am

Ha, thanks. What an utter chop he is. Just the egos involved in Band Aid reinforce my cynicism about the whole thing.

And U2 really aren't good at music. They just somehow happened on a sound that sells (although I loved Achtung Baby when it came out).

stefano

Postby 82_28 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:47 pm

That is fucking hilarious.

What I find most perplexing is that I have never met anyone who identifies as some sort of U2 fan. They fill fucking stadiums. Yet no one says, anywhere, "fuck do I love this song!" CLASSIC!

It's totally a mystery to me. I know of no one who likes U2. They may put up with the famous songs as background music, but man does U2 suck in every which way.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Nordic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:32 am

They've turned into the group version of Rob Stewart.

Back in the day were pretty cool, and now they're just a massive cheese-fest.

Back when "Achtung Baby" came out, I thought it was one of the best rock albums ever.

I listened to it again recently and it doesn't really hold up very well at all.

Which is sad. I had some key moments of my life with that as the soundtrack back in 1992.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby stefano » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:45 am

Nordic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:32 am wrote:Back when "Achtung Baby" came out, I thought it was one of the best rock albums ever.

Which is sad. I had some key moments of my life with that as the soundtrack back in 1992.

Yeah, me too hey. I think it resonated with teenage me mostly because it has a certain sort of sound that sounds like it is moving - and that Bono's ability to appear deep and sincere has the same sort of appeal, which is why he's a rockstar. That album did bring some new things to rock though.

Part of the disenchantment's also just from growing older, I think. When I was a kid Jimi Hendrix literally gave me gooseflesh, but listening to it now it's pretty basic blues with lots of reverb.
stefano

Postby Nordic » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:19 pm

stefano » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:45 am wrote:
Nordic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:32 am wrote:Back when "Achtung Baby" came out, I thought it was one of the best rock albums ever.

Yeah, me too hey. I think it resonated with teenage me mostly because it has a certain sort of sound that sounds like it is moving - and that Bono's ability to appear deep and sincere has the same sort of appeal, which is why he's a rockstar. That album did bring some new things to rock though.

Part of the disenchantment's also just from growing older, I think. When I was a kid Jimi Hendrix literally gave me gooseflesh, but listening to it now it's pretty basic blues with lots of reverb.

I think a lot of Achtung Baby was Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Those guys were brilliant. Still are I guess although I have to say I don't know what they're doing these days. I don't keep up. I don't get out much. I'm old.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby stefano » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:23 am

Read this, ease into your weekend with a smile.

At the intersection of all the annoying things a rock star can be—messianic, pretentious, vapid, dumb, old, creatively bankrupt, grandiose, utterly bereft of self-awareness, calcified into a grotesque oily wire-rack-in-the-grocery-store knockoff of himself, part of U2, et cetera—there sits Bono in his stupid housefly glasses, playing with his dick. He is, in the words of Deadspin’s own Tim Marchman, “the worst music man of all time.” He is puke, and I want to punch him in the ear.

I also enjoyed:

No one thing encapsulates The Bono Experience better than the fact that U2’s last album, Songs of Innocence (barf), was released in the form of malware forcibly uploaded to every goddamn iTunes account in the world. The megalomania and cluelessness and howling bottomless smarm: Here, jaded inhabitants of the post-industrial world, I, the Bono, bestow upon you the gift of free U2 music you didn’t even know you wanted. The blinkered certainty that the world wants what he wants to give it.
stefano

Return to The Lounge & Member News