Internet Security Programs

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Internet Security Programs

Postby backtoiam » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:16 am

Norton Internet Security is starting to get on my nerves. I have not attempted to uninstall it yet, but if I remember correctly, the last time I tried to uninstall Norton it fought me like a bear and it was hell to overpower it get it uninstalled. Does anybody have any recommendations on it can be easily done?

Anybody got any recommendations for some open source free security programs or malware programs? Years ago I used Malwarebytes and it seemed to do a good job of finding little rats in the nest and kicking them out. I just used it a few days ago and it didn't find even one single thing it didn't like on my computer. I don't know if that is because it is not a good program anymore, or I don't have any rats, or the nature of operating systems and computers has changed so much that all this shit is just different now. I don't know that much about all the security stuff anymore.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Internet Security Programs

Postby Searcher08 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 pm

I feel your Norton pain!
I would definitely use the Norton Removal Tool
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

I use AVG for anti-virus across desktop, tablet and phone and Comodo as a Firewall and am pretty happy with both.
I used SlimCleaner Free and found the first time it made a huge difference to performance.
CCleaner daily and Auslogics Registry Cleaner every few days and Auslogics Registry Defrag every few months.
Searcher08

Postby Mask » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:35 pm

As far as malware is concerned, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and AdwCleaner are both good free softwares today. Make sure to use the latest, up to date version.
If you suspect you have a rootkit, I'd recommend RogueKiller, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and if nothing else works, ComboFix.
:tiphat:
Mask

Postby backtoiam » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:57 pm

You guys just reminded me of a couple of programs I had forgotten about. I have used a couple of the programs mentioned in the past and got good results.

I have never tried this norton removal tool you mentioned but i'm going to give it a shot because surely it will do a better job than me because I don't have a clue as to how to club norton into submission :\
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Elvis » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Norton is one of the hardest viruses to get rid of. Yechh!

I've been told that Windows Firewall, and Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, are adequate for basic firewall and antivirus purposes, and that it's advisable to add something like Malwarebytes for broader coverage.

Is that good advice?
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby coffin_dodger » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:39 am

eset NOD32 antivirus is paid for (c$30 a year) but is extraordinarily non-intrusive, running very quietly in the background and taking almost no resources. Never had a virus yet. But then, I never click on anything I don't have to.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby backtoiam » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:00 am

This was written at the site of the Norton removal tool.

After running the Norton Removal Tool, you are required to sign in to your Norton account to reinstall the Norton product. Make sure that you can sign in at manage.norton.com.

I'm confused. I don't want to reinstall Norton. I probably don't have a Norton account and if I do I don't know the password. Do I have to have an account to uninstall it?

Maybe this is just marketing mind meld speak to encourage people to reinstall it? Me no likey Norton.
backtoiam

Postby NaturalMystik » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Elvis » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:23 pm wrote:Norton is one of the hardest viruses to get rid of. Yechh!

Word!

These days IMO Norton and McAfee are no-no's. I often get older machines to fix that are being bogged down by, usually both. I've always been a big booster for Avast's free anti-virus. I still use it, but unfortunately the last couple of versions require a little more tweaking to get it running right. I echo previously mentioned statements to use Malware Bytes as well as SuperAntiSpyWare for maintenance clean ups or when you get a bug.
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Return to The Lounge & Member News