How do you deal with depression?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

How do you deal with depression?

Postby Nordic » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 am

I'm assuming it's not an uncommon ailment amongst our ilk.

Going through a bad and somewhat chronic spate of it lately.

Curious how others deal.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: How do you deal with depression?

Postby backtoiam » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:33 am

Join the club. I got into a pretty bad argument yesterday with somebody that has been one of my best friends my whole life. He was trying to convince me that Iran needed to nuked immediately and told me I should help him spread the word. What do you even say to shit like that?

I told him that he didn't know what he was talking about and that I was digusted with him for wanting to incinerate a whole nation full of innocent people. The conversation ended very badly.

Staring into the abyss becomes permanent when you learn how to see it and it becomes impossible not see it. I don't know what the answer is bro. I am abyss weary right now too. Nobody around me but me lives in it, so, it is a lonely place to be.

I try not to drink myself to death and I refuse to eat any of their damn pills.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Dioneo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:45 am

Big pharma. And not drinking. Works for me.

Big pharma gets a really bad rap around here. But when I try every possible alternative (meditation, exercise, getting outside, St. John's wort, fish oil), and I still deal with suicidal ideation on a daily basis, but then give in to big pharma and have a couple of tolerable side effects but no longer ever even think about killing myself, plus start getting my shit done more effectively, then I'll take big pharma every day.

I'm not necessarily happy about "needing" this, and I'm not trying to say this is an answer for everyone. But, me, I'll take no longer being chronically depressed.
Dioneo

Postby Grizzly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:56 am

http://biologyofkundalini.com/article.p ... Depression

Depression

As kundalini moves through the miasmas (repressed, damaged, latent) areas in the brain, we might feel the emotions connected with each developmental arrest. The miasmas were created in stress and in stress they are transmuted. For every up there is a down, so it is understandable that depression might result after the over-stimulation of the brain's pleasure centers and increase in endorphins, during the bliss of kundalini. For the endorphin system is the emotional anesthetization process which tries to soften the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. The bliss and grace of metamorphic chemistry allow us to “touch” what we have repressed.

Depression could also result as we lose our left-brain adaptive functioning during the first few years of the major cycle. If we are not conscious of the process this loss of left-brain prefrontal lobe function could lead to paranoia, frustration, self-pity and other negative emotions. There tends to be a psychological let down when the tide turns down into the valley as the influx of spirit abates, and consciousness plunges deeply into matter. This feels like a loss of Grace after the heady heights of the influx, but the valleys are just as important as the mountain tops in the transformational process. The die-off's in particular should be regarded with awe and gratitude as very good news. They don't last long and we do not transform without them. The old must die for the new to be reborn. So the highs and lows of the kundalini cycle should be celebrated equally and given equal importance in attempting mastery and adaptation.

Once the kundalini storm progresses eventually the body's receptors get resistant and production of neurotransmitters and their precursors drops off and so the bodymind falls into depression. A normal diet would not supply adequate nutrients to overcome the deficiency, let alone a SAD diet. We can speed our recovery from kundalini depression through adopting a raw superfood diet, well supplied with nerve nutrients, and by taking supplements. (See Five Formulas For Kundalini). To regenerate we have to use all the integrity and energies and vitality that nature has to give such that we become beacons of lifeforce.

With the increase in immune activity, higher metabolism and nerve function during metamorphosis, one can assume that there is a greater free radical production. This is probably half the reason why we feel "fried" after the influx. The other major contributor to the down cycle is that the body's resources for making neurotransmitters and hormones becomes exhausted during the peak activity of the influx stage. Plus all the metabolites and oxidized molecules that were created in the firestorm need time to be converted and disposed of. In our cooked, demineralized bodies this radical swinging of metamorphic cycles is inevitable. With knowledge of the requirements of the process however, we can build the kind of integrity and reserves into our bodyminds that will help to facilitate evolution. By avoiding wasting so much time and energy in the down cycles, our spiritual birth will incur less abortion and labor.

"There are many undergoing this process who at times feel quite insane. When they behave well and keep silent they may avoid being called schizophrenic, or being hospitalized, or sedated. Nevertheless their isolation and sense of separation from others may cause them such suffering. We must reach such people, their families, and society, with information to help them recognize their condition as a blessing, not a curse. Certainly we must no longer subject people, who might be in the midst of this rebirth process, to drugs or shock therapies, approaches which are at opposite poles to creative self-development." P.60, Lee Sannella, M.D. Kundalini, Psychosis or Transcendence?

I think it imperative to not treat kundalini-depression with antidepressants, but to set about detoxing, regenerating and remineralizing the body. I suspect that tranquilizers and antidepressants will increase repression and prevent necessary build up of tension and the powerful flow of consciousness-energy that breaks through and transforms blockages (miasmas). The Guru Rawa sensed that the nerves of a woman who had taken 6 types of tranquilizers and antidepressants to be "burned." If we detoxify, adopt a raw diet and do those things that open us up to the flow of kundalini, then we establish a solid self of deep peace, joy and equanimity usually within several years. This sense of coming home to ourSelf is something that drugs, cooked food, and "therapies" can never give us. Kundalini restructures us to a higher order, enabling us to live a spiritual life in the material world.

"Prescription psychoactive drugs (antidepressants and antipsychotics) can arrest or completely abort a transformational process. This may sound desirable to those who are having a hard time of it, but these drugs do not return one to normal; instead, they tend to freeze the process in its present state. Worse, antidepressants can trigger psychosis for those in a delicate psychospiritual state, and the neuroleptics (antipsychotics) can cause tardive dyskinesia, a persistent and in many cases irreversible pathological syndrome which resembles kriyas! Even so, some people are so prone to severe depression or debilitating psychosis in the heightened states that they cannot function without the temporary aid of these drugs." El Collie, www.elcollie.com

Instead of suppression and medication I suggest that the initiate get a daily dose of nature, exercise, water therapy (eg:baths), bodywork, stretching, breathing, toning and music etc... A long list of coping techniques are listed further on in Kundalini Skills List. It is imperative that one adopts a diet that does not clog the liver, or weigh down the digestive system or challenge the immune system. The body already has more than enough to metabolize from the alchemy of transmutation itself, so we should be very careful not to overburden it with even more work. Nutritional supplementation should be given to the nervous system to feed neurotransmitters, hormones and to balance and soothe the nerves. Ginseng, ashitaba, neem, gotu kola, olive leaf and ginkgo are probably the most important herbs to take for achieving a higher homeostasis of the nervous system and recovering from depression and anhedonia (numbness). For both women and men nightly massaging of the breasts before sleep will help maintain hormone levels and prevent a slide into depression and numbness.

Rehabilitation of the brain after an awakening takes physical activity and novel environmental stimulation to encourage dendritic arborization, neurotrophic growth factors and increase plasticity i.e. where remaining cells take over from dead cells to improve functional recovery. Exercise and movement therapy increases brain vascularization, birth of new cells and synaptogenesis to establish new connections. Note that anti-convulsant drugs can increase functional depression, and that if antidepressants are used, instead of proactive healthy interventions such as new activities and exercise, post-awakening depression will be radically deepened and extended. For establishing new growth in the substantiation phase we need an appropriately enriched environment. That means people who care, and activities one enjoys. Remember--spiritual acceleration necessitates conscious incarnation, for if the awakening process does not become increasingly conscious negative outcomes will occur.

It doesn't matter what age you live in, there is always going to be some contemporary lion at your door. These days it just wears a different face than it did 20 or 2000 years ago. The trick is to allow the lion to wake us up, rather than make us numb or asleep. As soon as we define one lion and deal with that, there will be another lion around. If we stay focused on our giving our greatest gift this helps us remain open and not dissociated, To continually define and refine what it is we are here for, might be the primary panacea of all ages.

Self destruction to avoid the pain of the power-over paradigm is not a viable option and will do nothing to change the Spirit of the Age towards more beneficent and “happy” conditions. (See Working Toward a Transcendent Future for more on this.)

"The researches reported in the April 1998 American Journal of Psychiatry that "intrinsic religiosity" was the best predictor of recovery from depression in both the treated and untreated groups. There is no evidence of significant benefits from psychotherapy, drugs, or a combination of therapy." 121 The Undiscovered Mind, John Horgan

Check out David Wolfe, Gabriel Cousens and Brian Clement on youtube. These are the leading raw nutritionists in the world who offer inspiration and information on raw regeneration—thereby eliminating depression once and for all.

See Michael Brown's audio and video on his website www.thepresenceportal.com the Presence Process is a fantastic emotional processing tool.

Robert Augustus Masters has the last word on all the sticky psychological issues, check out his books, website and sign up for his newsletter. http://robertmasters.com/

http://my.harvard.edu/ —Positive Psychology lectures by Tal-Ben Shacher.
www.tributariesradio.org/ —Interviews with inspirational people
http://worldonenetwork.info/oasis/ —John-Michael Dumais
www.thinkingallowed.com —Jeffery Mishlove’s inspiring series
www.zentertainment.org/podcasts.html —Progressive podcast programs
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Sorry to hear you're feeling down, Nordic. Grizzly's advice is wise.

Biorythms and nutrition. Both seem to cycle periodically.

Remember that.

Most Americans have varied their diets and as they have, they've varied the balance of their nutrient intake from sometimes adequate to oftentimes inadequate enough to maintain ones health.

Perhaps it would be possible for you to meditate? Look for what it is that's caused your depression and it will be revealed to you and then you may dismiss it - that was yesterday - no sense carrying an umbrella today to keep you dry from yesterday's rain.

Feel better soon. If you find you must drag that umbrella along day after day, get back to us. Other folk here have treatment histories I've not experienced, and may have advice for you, should you find the need.

Blessings, Peace and Love.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:30 pm

:bong:

Not for everyone, I realize, but a lifesaver for some.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Nordic » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate that. I woke up this morning and felt self conscious and weird about having posted that and was going to delete, but then I saw all these responses and a very nice pm.

Yes, I can't drink any more largely because of how depressive it is afterward. Also I can't smoke weed for the same reason. The mood I'm in the next day is pretty unbearable and not just for me but those around me. I do take an SSRI and have since the turn of the century. It helps in general but when things really seem insurmountable and hopeless they seem to have little affect.

I should probably find some talk therapy but whenever I've looked the good ones don't take insurance and are unaffordable and the ones who take my insurance are literally like half my age. Kids. How can they possibly relate to any of my stuff?

Heavy sigh .....

Being over 50 now is honestly a big part of it because it makes you realize you simply don't have much time left to turn things around.
Nordic

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:36 pm

I feel you need a Tibetan singing bowl. Or the benefits of one signing. A group meditation session in a Buddhist couldn't hurt.

And Humor! Laugh watching a comedy.

But if you need real paternalistic advice, there's always the Old Philosopher.

Iamwhomiam

Postby Nordic » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks. I hate to say this but what I really need is a certain amount of money, or a new career. I think my problems stem almost 100% from what seems to be an intractable financial situation I cannot seem to escape as well as the temperature of the water in which I'm trapped being gradually but steadily increased to boiling as my already stupidly high rent is being increased steadily. I can't even move. Rents have gone up do astronomically there's no way out right now. I can't even move across the street. And at the same time it gets more and more impossible to pay for, my immediate neighborhood is rapidly declining. I mean rapidly. It's getting ugly and more unlivable. The 3rd-world-ization of our country seems to be accelerating at an alarming level.

I've never been stuck like this in my life. There was always the option of at least moving!!!

Don't really want to share the specifics of my personal problems but feeling completely helpless is, I think, the cause of this.

Once in the mountains of Colorado, as night was falling, I tried to climb a very steep and crumbly slope from a rushing creek up to a road. I was very inexperienced with the mountains and didn't really think about the fact that where a road is cut into a mountainside the slope is no longer natural and somewhat stable, but artificial and composed of all the loose crap they cut away to make the road. Anyway, almost to the road I took some chances and ended up ever-so-slowly sliding down on loose gravel toward a drop off that would have plunged me straight down over a cliff to the rocks of the river, now several hundred feet below. The fall would have been either fatal or put me in a wheelchair forever. I couldn't stop myself, and realized it was the extra weight of my heavy camera bag that was pulling me the fastest, in fact my neck, where the strap was looped around, was being pulled toward the edge faster than the rest of my body and I would probably go over the edge head-first because of it. So I pulled off my beloved camera gear and let it go. I watched as it tumbled over the cliff and I could see it hit, and bounce, in ever increasingly large arcs, and spiraling faster and faster, until it disappeared into the canyon. It was just enough less mass that I actually quit sliding. Finally I could stop and look around and figure out a way to climb the rest of the way up to the road, and I did, but barely.

That's kind of what this feels like. Inexorable.

I'd like to apologize for the level of self pity on display here.

Not having a clue makes it hard to simply get out of bed.
Nordic

Postby KUAN » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:22 am

Re St. John's wort, I've had some pretty hands on experience.
Wanting to try it out but being sceptical of how a significant quantity of a plant could be put into any pill, I opened an account as a therapist with a herbal concentrate manufacturer. I was then able to order by the litre. I then went off prozac - which was working brilliantly for me. What I found was that it worked, felt much more natural, but as I suppose could be expected, it wears off quickly and so I had to move around with an eye-dropper bottle full of a disgusting tasting brown staining liquid to take several times a day! I went back on to my daily small dose of prozac....
KUAN

Postby Nordic » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:32 am

Interesting. I tried St Johns Wort about 20 years ago and it made me kind of angry and irritable. Kind of manic. Just didn't work at all. But everybody's different. I'm thinking about trying some essential Oils. I was turned onto one called Copaiba Oil for arthritis (which I'm starting to get) and it's almost miraculous for temporary relief of that. For me at least. The person who told me about it has a friend with really terrible arthritis whose doctor was considering taking her off these nasty shots she had to get into her stomach, which was the only thing that helped her, the oil worked so well. I figure hell, if that worked that well, there must be other oils that work for other things.

It's a whole mother world, although I have zero info on how any of the others actually work. There are a lot of claims.

Here's where I get that stuff from. Each oil supposedly has a variety of therapeutic benefits.

http://www.edensgarden.com/collections/single-oils

I have no connection to this company whatsoever just in case anybody was wondering. I just know their Copaiba oil is quite good. Haven't tried any others yet.
Nordic

Postby backtoiam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:40 am

I was turned onto one called Copaiba Oil for arthritis (which I'm starting to get) and it's almost miraculous for temporary relief of that.

How do you take it? How much? Couple of drops under the tongue or mixed with a liquid or something?
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby backtoiam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:43 am

KUAN » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:22 am wrote:Re St. John's wort, I've had some pretty hands on experience.
Wanting to try it out but being sceptical of how a significant quantity of a plant could be put into any pill, I opened an account as a therapist with a herbal concentrate manufacturer. I was then able to order by the litre. I then went off prozac - which was working brilliantly for me. What I found was that it worked, felt much more natural, but as I suppose could be expected, it wears off quickly and so I had to move around with an eye-dropper bottle full of a disgusting tasting brown staining liquid to take several times a day! I went back on to my daily small dose of prozac....

I order bulk herb by the pound from frontierherb online. Boil it into incredibly strong concentrated teas. Cheap too.
Where are you ordering the concentrate?
backtoiam

Postby KUAN » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:12 am

They were situated at the top of the South Island, N.Z. At least 20 years ago, so don't know who they were now.

Here's one I found in another part of the country...
http://www.nzbotanicals.com/nz-botanicals
KUAN

Postby Nordic » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:27 am

backtoiam » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:40 am wrote:
I was turned onto one called Copaiba Oil for arthritis (which I'm starting to get) and it's almost miraculous for temporary relief of that.

How do you take it? How much? Couple of drops under the tongue or mixed with a liquid or something?

You rub it into your skin over the affected area. Rub it a good long time and it gets absorbed. It smells like freshly cut wood. If you order it from Amazon it shows up really fast. Like the next day sometimes.
Nordic

Next

Return to The Lounge & Member News