I called the cops today on a Grandma

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: I called the cops today on a Grandma

Postby Cordelia » Tue May 03, 2016 4:34 pm

^^^
Ah, semantics........and thank you :praybow for giving me the nudge to look further.........

"Cracker," the old standby of Anglo insults was first noted in the mid 18th century, making it older than the United States itself. It was used to refer to poor whites, particularly those inhabiting the frontier regions of Maryland, Virginia and Georgia. It is suspected that it was a shortened version of "whip-cracker," since the manual labor they did involved driving livestock with a whip (not to mention the other brutal arenas where those skills were employed.) Over the course of time it came to represent a person of lower caste or criminal disposition, (in some instances, was used in reference to bandits and other lawless folk.)

But it turns out cracker's roots go back even further than the 17th century. All the way back to the age of Shakespeare, at least.

"The meaning of the word has changed a lot over the last four centuries," said Dana Ste. Claire, a Florida historian and anthropologist who studies, er, crackers. (He literally wrote the book on them.)

Ste. Claire pointed me to King John, published sometime in the 1590s. One character refers to another as a craker — a common insult for an obnoxious bloviator."

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/ ... n-crackers
Cordelia

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Novem5er » Wed May 04, 2016 12:53 am

Good stuff :) Here's an actual road sign that marks the historical Cracker Trail all the way through Central Florida. I didn't know the Crackers came from farther up north originally. I wonder why they got their own highway here in Florida?

Novem5er

Postby coffin_dodger » Wed May 04, 2016 3:46 am

snitch
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Cordelia » Wed May 04, 2016 8:10 am

(I particularly liked 'bloviator'; a perfect description of Donald Trump.)

Speaking of dangerous grandmothers, here's a recent story that highlights the odds stacked against too many children (along with the current addiction epidemic):

"A 48-year-old Whitinsville grandmother who said she keeps her methadone in baby bottles is facing a child abuse charge after nearly killing her 14-month-old grandson by accidentally feeding him from one of her drug-laced containers, officials say.

Rose Rej was visiting her daughter in Lincoln, Neb., Tuesday when she woke up around 1:30 a.m. to feed her grandson but “grabbed the wrong bottle,”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nation ... ne_to_baby
Cordelia

Postby Novem5er » Wed May 04, 2016 12:06 pm

Cordelia » Wed May 04, 2016 8:10 am wrote:(I particularly liked 'bloviator'; a perfect description of Donald Trump.)

Speaking of dangerous grandmothers, here's a recent story that highlights the odds stacked against too many children (along with the current addiction epidemic):

"A 48-year-old Whitinsville grandmother who said she keeps her methadone in baby bottles is facing a child abuse charge after nearly killing her 14-month-old grandson by accidentally feeding him from one of her drug-laced containers, officials say.

Rose Rej was visiting her daughter in Lincoln, Neb., Tuesday when she woke up around 1:30 a.m. to feed her grandson but “grabbed the wrong bottle,”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nation ... ne_to_baby

Today's grandmothers aren't all butterscotch and sugar cookies. Poor kid :(
Novem5er

Postby brekin » Thu May 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Right call. Kids doing stupidly dangerous stuff in public area that could endanger themselves and cause others to watch a grisly scene unfold needs an objective authority.

Cops get a bad rap these days, but a lot of times they are doing things just like this. Trust your judgement, a kid died doing the exact same thing they were doing two years ago and there is a sign saying not to dive? I don't get people who would let their kids dive, let alone encourage them.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News