What is this?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What is this?

Postby Nordic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:00 am

The long portion with the rounded edges looks to me like it originally fit over something. Like on top of a bench or cabinet.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby dada » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:01 am

Here's a thing. I think it is probably just something decorative that you put on a desk, and you put pens in the little concave part in the front.

My question though, is who is it for? Like, what organization or group? It's a piece of black marble, and the parts are all die-cast metal. Solid and heavy. The guy is wearing a turban, robe and scarf, holding a short curved sword. At his feet is a rifle. There is an urn, some books and a hookah on the floor. On the table, which opens on a hinge, is a box of cigars, a teapot, and a decanter. The painted patterned rug is also made of metal.

My brother found it in the trash in Washington Heights, the northern tip of Manhattan, and gave it to me as a birthday present.

PIC_0684.JPG

PIC_0681.JPG

PIC_0677.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby dada » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:04 am

PIC_0687.JPG

PIC_0691.JPG

PIC_0692.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby stefano » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:29 am

Very cool! I think it's a North African curio from the 1920s or so, for purchase by the colonial administrator who wanted to give his dad something from Algeria as a present.
stefano

Postby Burnt Hill » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:06 pm

That is very cool.
My first impression was that it represented a Rudyard Kipling story,
but I don't know...
Burnt Hill

Postby Elvis » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:49 am

Cup & saucer display.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News