Speech-to-text software makes posting easy

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Speech-to-text software makes posting easy

Postby Freitag » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:53 am

I just bought Dragon speech-to-text software for the book I'm writing. Holy crap, does it make writing easy! I'm using it right now to type this. For people who post a lot, or tend to write long posts, you should consider giving it a try. It was only $45 on Amazon.

That's my tip of the day :thumbsup
Freitag

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Speech-to-text software makes posting easy

Postby Nordic » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:41 pm

How does it stack up against, say, an iPhone. So far that's my only experience with it. Useful at times, especially when my hands are full.

Although I have to say I'm not sure I'd really write that well if I spoke everything. Too fast and it sucks. Too slow and it sucks. (Typing on my iphonenow with my giant fingers is slow and I suck at the writing that results)
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby backtoiam » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Dragon has been around for a long time. I don't remember how long exactly. I played with it in the past when it was a rudimentary system and even back then it worked fairly well. I don't know what it is now but even in times past it worked fairly well. Windows used to have a rudimentary speech to text system in earlier software versions. Maybe windows xp back when computers were still really computers instead of grandiose apps?
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Grizzly » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:05 pm

I just bought Dragon speech-to-text software for the book I'm writing. Holy crap, does it make writing easy! I'm using it right now to type this. For people who post a lot, or tend to write long posts, you should consider giving it a try. It was only $45 on Amazon.

That's my tip of the day :thumbsup

I always suspected you were a bot. Now we know...lol
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Freitag » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Nordic » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:41 am wrote:How does it stack up against, say, an iPhone. So far that's my only experience with it. Useful at times, especially when my hands are full.

Although I have to say I'm not sure I'd really write that well if I spoke everything. Too fast and it sucks. Too slow and it sucks. (Typing on my iphonenow with my giant fingers is slow and I suck at the writing that results)

I'm behind the times. I've never had an iPhone, and only recently got a smartphone. So I don't know how well they work. For all I know I just got all excited over speech recognition that everyone else takes for granted. That being said, it works really well. Way better than I would have thought from reading the Amazon reviews. I'm usually tired at the end of the day when I go to write, and if I can make it as easy as just talking I think I can be a lot more productive. I'm absurdly excited about it because I've felt in a rut and been looking for a breakthrough.

Congrats if you can post at all on your phone, I've tried it and I just don't have the patience!
Freitag

Postby DrEvil » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:02 pm

backtoiam » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:47 pm wrote:Dragon has been around for a long time. I don't remember how long exactly. I played with it in the past when it was a rudimentary system and even back then it worked fairly well. I don't know what it is now but even in times past it worked fairly well. Windows used to have a rudimentary speech to text system in earlier software versions. Maybe windows xp back when computers were still really computers instead of grandiose apps?

PEDANTIC MODE ENGAGE!

Apps are just software. People call them apps because they run on smartphones and tablets, but they're still just what we in days of yore called programs. It's just marketing gobbledygook. Same reason it's called "the cloud" instead of remote storage/computing. It sounds sexier.

Btw: Windows got speech recognition in Vista.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Return to The Lounge & Member News