Horror Films 2016

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Horror Films 2016

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:16 pm

I was prepping for this year's Samhain Awards and realized I have to stretch to even hit a Top 5, right now.

It's heavy on films starting with "The," as ever. The Witch, The Neon Demon, Baskin, The Hallow and The Invitation.

I take it for granted I'll add "Don't Breathe" to that list once I see it.

There's been a lot of crap. Stuff like "Conjuring 2" was good craftsmanship and all, but I'm not a fan of jump scares. Been a lot of non-essential reboots & remakes, like "Martyrs" or "Cabin Fever" or "10 Cloverfield Lane" or...man. I do have irrational hope for this next "Phantasm," though.

I am lining up "Antibirth" and "I Am Not A Serial Killer" for this evening based on recommendations - please contribute more. What have I missed?

And why are there no good horror comedies this year?
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Horror Films 2016

Postby semper occultus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:42 pm

...isn't Clinton vs Trump enough for you...?
semper occultus

Postby NaturalMystik » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:18 am

Just watched The Conjuring 2 last night, and actually enjoyed it and was adequately creeped out by it. It's funny though I can't connect to the name. When I think of The Conjuring my mind draws a complete blank as to what it's about. It should be called the Warren Case Files or something. There's not a whole lot of demonic possession stuff out there, so I probably give it an easier pass as it's the horror genre I most prefer. Although I could do with a little less of the Ed/Lorraine drama, just seems to be redundant and in the way.

A couple of recent Horror Comedies I really enjoyed were Housebound and Cooties. At this point they might be 2015 but worth checking out if you missed them.
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:20 pm

NaturalMystik » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:18 am wrote:A couple of recent Horror Comedies I really enjoyed were Housebound and Cooties. At this point they might be 2015 but worth checking out if you missed them.

Both excellent. "Housebound" was my overall Best Of for 2014, highly recommended for anyone who likes smart, funny movies.

Indeed, "Cooties" was the last good one I've seen, and I suspect, the prototype for a lot of what followed. Stuff like "Freaks of Nature" and "Scout's Guide to Zombie Apocalypse" or "Night of the Living Deb" all felt like they were birthed by the same committee of MTV fans: great moments but no animating spirit, heavy on references to previous genre work like "Shaun of the Dead." I definitely got the impression "Cooties" was written by someone with experience in public school hell, I was definitely wrong.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby NaturalMystik » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Looking through this years releases it seems kinda slim pickins for what grabs me. The Witch was seriously intense, probably rewatch that one soon. I'll check out the other 4 on your top 5 though, they don't ring a bell. Phantasm could be interesting. I think Don't Breath could come in at scariest, but not sure I'll see that one. If I was able to watch shaky cam stuff I'd probably be interested in Blair Witch and Cloverfield.

Also not a movie per se, but really enjoyed the mini series Stranger Things.
NaturalMystik

Postby DrEvil » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:36 pm

I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane and it's thankfully not a shaky-cam movie, but it has nothing to do with the original Cloverfield except the name. John Goodman is great as the creepy survivalist.

I am not a serial killer looks interesting. The book has been on my to-read list for ages.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:20 am

Wombaticus Rex » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:16 pm wrote:

I think this guy should give it a shot.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby NaturalMystik » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:00 pm

DrEvil » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:36 pm wrote:I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane and it's thankfully not a shaky-cam movie, but it has nothing to do with the original Cloverfield except the name. John Goodman is great as the creepy survivalist.

Wow, Goodman was awesome! He doesn't seem to do a lot, but he's really shining, Lebowski, Treme.. 10 Cloverfield was a good watch, definitely kept ya guessing... I'm guessing the association to the original would be that it's happening in the same world in the same time frame, just different locale and players?
NaturalMystik

Postby DrEvil » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:47 pm

^^Yeah, probably, but (SPOILERS for 10 Cloverfield Land)the aliens are completely different in the movies. Giant godzilla thing with mini spawn in the first one and gas-belching living ufo's and anus faced aliens in the second.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby NaturalMystik » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 pm

lol love the definitions
NaturalMystik

Postby Rory » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:48 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:16 am wrote:I was prepping for this year's Samhain Awards and realized I have to stretch to even hit a Top 5, right now.

It's heavy on films starting with "The," as ever. The Witch, The Neon Demon, Baskin, The Hallow and The Invitation.

I take it for granted I'll add "Don't Breathe" to that list once I see it.

There's been a lot of crap. Stuff like "Conjuring 2" was good craftsmanship and all, but I'm not a fan of jump scares. Been a lot of non-essential reboots & remakes, like "Martyrs" or "Cabin Fever" or "10 Cloverfield Lane" or...man. I do have irrational hope for this next "Phantasm," though.

I am lining up "Antibirth" and "I Am Not A Serial Killer" for this evening based on recommendations - please contribute more. What have I missed?

Great stuff. Always a particular high point in the RI calendar. Last year the missus contemplated a psych eval for me after we watched Turbo Kid, and Yakuza Apocalypse and I laughed (sometimes hysterically) through both. Or, the arse splitting finale to Bone Tomahawk which had provoked some questions as to where I found these "good movie recommendations". I still have a few to watch from last years list too.

Looking forward to checking out the above
Rory

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:28 am

Well, "Baskin" is very insane. I highly recommend it but it's not for everyone -- the violence on display is on par with any of the French Wave stuff of the past ten years, and far weirder besides. It is one of the most foreign horror films I've ever seen, infosar as the culture and infrastructure behind it are so Turkish is feels like Tarkovsky sci-fi to a western hick viewer such as myself.

I was surprised by reviews and word-of-mouth emphasis on the "Surrealism" and "broken narrative" because to me the film made perfect sense in a single viewing. Perhaps the Turks have a more nuanced appreciation of the human psyche than the Freudian, clinical shorthand of American cinema. There's a very heady stew of commentary about masculinity, moral corruption, and the price of patriarchy, too.

It struck me as a very intelligent and heart-felt film, it also struck me as something I'm not going to share with too many of my friends.

(I've also seen a lot of commentary about "The Neon Demon" as loathsome hollow spectacle, but I really thought it was one of the best films yet from one of my favorite auteurs, Mr. Winding Refn. As one of my benign detractors recently told me, "It's possible you've been assimilated the by machine and don't know it.")
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Nordic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:39 am

Neon Demon was interesting and very Refn. I did, however, feel like it was a 30 minute film crammed into an hour and a half. Some quite memorable imagery. Gorgeous even. Elle Fanning is, I believe, as good an actor as anyone out there. She's just super talented, exponentially more than her sister.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to The Lounge & Member News