Who else went to the county fair this summer?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Who else went to the county fair this summer?

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:16 pm

I did and I loved it! Every year, my wife and I trek out to the Pomona Fairplex to attend the LA County Fair. It's great for the reasons every county fair is great - watching people get sick on crazy spinning rides, seeing lots of animals, eating deep-fried decadent deliciousness - and a whole lot more. There were some really great exhibits this year for us to see, both for art and sports. We also like going there to do wine tasting, even if we don't always like the wine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGKUK0GHk8Q

So how many of you enjoy going to the county fair? What do you enjoy most about it?
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Who else went to the county fair this summer?

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Great part about Vermont is we've got a bunch of 'em. Went to four this summer, I think.

I mostly go to drink in public and stock up on cheap sunglasses and offensive T-Shirts at this point. When I was younger the big attraction was all the fights, of course. These days, though, kids are feral. There was actually a stabbing death this year at the biggest fair in Vermont over near Burlington. Bunch of pillheads with weapons and no hand game.

I don't imagine it's too much different anywhere else but Idaho and Montana.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Stabbing? Yikes! Actually I'm surprised I don't here about more fights breaking out in LA considering the significant quantities of alcohol consumed. Not by me, I'm more of a happy drunk than an angry one. But one thing they are very thorough with here is metal detection. Security is pretty attentive and very systematic. But I haven't seen a single fistfight in the past decade, even when it gets over 100 degrees, which was eight of the last ten years. This year we got lucky, it was only 85.

Maybe there's some truth in the myth of laid-back LA.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby 82_28 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:00 am

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

Dig your vids, Rob.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:17 pm

stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:50 pm wrote:
Maybe there's some truth in the myth of laid-back LA.

I'd say so.

The first few times I was in LA as a youth, I'd grown up with "South Central" as synonymous with f'ing Lebanon or Bogota, and watching the LA riots on TV. Once I was actually there, though, it reminded me of Atlanta more than anything else, how laid back and polite people were. Any time I've been back since I really enjoyed being there. It's a bit like Vegas, only of course, hugely, hugely superior in every aspect except the quality local humans themselves.

Cities can work. I'm a mountain mammal by temperament, but I'm mighty fond of many cities I've seen.

Many, but not most.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:04 am

I found my true life LA story that I wrote in 1995 last night. I'll try and scan it. WAYYYYYYYYYYY too wordy as I was writing to impress. I wrote it for a class. Once I clear all the shit piled off my scanner maybe I'll scan it. The story is pretty good though as far as being interesting. Maybe I'll do it later tonight. We'll see.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:56 pm

82_28 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:00 am wrote:Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

Dig your vids, Rob.

With only a slight twinge of guilt, I must say the Bothans are delicious. :oops:

Thanks, 82_28! Glad you enjoy them.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Return to The Lounge & Member News