RI as imageboard

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

RI as imageboard

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:19 pm

Just want to take the communal temperature on this one -- personally, I get a painful little tug in my soul when I see the same memes I just saw on FB getting posted here. Esp. when they're the entire content of the post.

Memes are life itself, don't get me wrong. RI is a discussion forum for text-based conversations between carbon-based lifeforms, though.

I don't want to publicly shame people. If only for the sake of avoiding the irony of interrupting the conversation with a low-information post to complain about low-information posts interrupting the conversation. Moderation will always involve recursion, but too much is too much.

But, how little is too little? To you. What's the minimum contribution?
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: RI as imageboard

Postby 82_28 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:46 pm

But, how little is too little? To you. What's the minimum contribution?

We're fucked?
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:01 pm

A point of view
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby IanEye » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:13 pm

I like to make my own montage/portfolio sets.

People that like to scratch on vinyl don't use vinyl of other people scratching to scratch with.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby dada » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:13 am

meme should be no more than ten percent of post content. ('Image only' type threads would be the exception)

Nice if image linking were disabled. Then if poster really really just simply had to share this super important meme they saw on social media, they would have to download it, and re-upload as attachment. Don't know how do-able that is.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:57 am

dada » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:13 am wrote:meme should be no more than ten percent of post content. ('Image only' type threads would be the exception)

Meme-only is no more than 10% of content.

(No more than 10% of posters are responsible for 90% of meme-only, however.)

Nice if image linking were disabled.

No. There is an awesome amount of non-meme, post-relevant image linking on this board. You will pry my goddamn Wall Street thread charts from my cold dead fingers!

would have to download it, and re-upload as attachment. Don't know how do-able that is.

Should have been doing that all along with all images, of course, since hotlinks go dead. It is true. Then everything would be archived in one site. But it's a goddamn pain. It means I'd have spent another year subjective time working for this board. Ha!

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby dada » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:45 am

JackRiddler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:57 am wrote:
would have to download it, and re-upload as attachment. Don't know how do-able that is.

Should have been doing that all along with all images, of course, since hotlinks go dead. It is true. Then everything would be archived in one site. But it's a goddamn pain. It means I'd have spent another year subjective time working for this board. Ha!

We should all suffer more. That's how I know we really care.

Suffer for the board! muahaha!
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby peartreed » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:19 pm

I just wanted to again commend Wombaticus Rex for maintaining a modicum of sanity and civility in the challenging but essential moderation of this board.

Among many others I also wanted to thank SLAD, Iamwhomiam and Jerky for balancing some of the more boisterous bs being broadcast and brought here. And while JackRiddler is challenged himself in keeping his cool, I love the way he identifies and dissects drivel.

All of you are perversely appreciated.
peartreed

Postby Novem5er » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 pm

They say an image is worth a thousand words, and on RI that would probably be true for 10,000 words in our election threads :)

I don't mind memes or images if they are pertinent to the conversation (and they are easy to skip past). However, I see the danger in the FB-ing of RI if memes become common. I would never jump down someone's throat because they posted a meme, but if one poster ONLY EVER posted memes and never had anything else to day, that'd be a little "why are you here?".

I like people adding images to their posts, whether serious, funny, or sarcastic. However, I only ever use a laptop, so I'm not wasting data or time scrolling past images on my phone (which could be more annoying?).
Novem5er

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:25 pm

If meme I must, I'm going with the best.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Nordic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:31 am

^^^^thats a good one and I'm surprised I never saw it.

I'm quite fond of memes. Perhaps because I'm more of a visual person than a writerly one, but also because I see good memes as being populist DIY versions of political cartoons, which I have long admired.

Also posting a meme is easier than typing or cutting and pasting text, and you don't have to attribute the fact that somebody else very likely wrote it ... because it's a meme. Sometimes the succinctness of a meme is wonderful. I mean the one above is merely one word.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:29 am

I don't do FB, so most of these memes are first time through for me.
Of course most of them are silly.
Writing words is definitely harder.
Memes are a short cut, like using a drug for enlightenment.
But then that is drug induced enlightenment.
Ultimately there are no shortcuts to the truth.
:tongout
Burnt Hill

Return to The Lounge & Member News