Jacksonville, Oregon - Preserved Gold Rush Town

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Jacksonville, Oregon - Preserved Gold Rush Town

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Jacksonville, Oregon may have a long history dating back to the Old West, but I wouldn’t describe it as a “ghost” town. Though the population of the small town is listed at slightly over 2,800 people, it is a very popular place to visit! We arrived on a beautiful sunny Saturday morning and were surprised that there were already lots of people walking the sidewalks of Main Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLwL5djh7-k

It is truly amazing to see how many buildings that line Main Streets and the side streets connected to it are from the 1850s through the 1880s.

Of course, most of the old buildings now have new businesses currently occupying them. But each building does have a sign that shows what year the building was made and what business occupied it at the time.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Jacksonville, Oregon - Preserved Gold Rush Town

Postby 82_28 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:44 am

Good shit again, Rob! Love it. It might make you want to see this which came to mind.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... d-seattle/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks 82_28! Yeah, I-5, actually the whole Eisenhower interstate freeway project, did create more driving convenience but tore up a whole lotta neighborhoods too. Then again, I was just on I-5 in Seattle several months ago and the traffic jam looked a whole lot worse than it did in that picture. Sometimes the concept of convenience is relative.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:36 pm

A Visit to the Past - Oregon's Historical Jacksonville Cemetery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW8nP7UL3AI

I think what Neek and I really appreciated about the place was how it imparts a sense of history on a quieter more personal level. Reading about these people, when they lived, how they died, you do get a more intimate sense of the struggles they went through in the Old West, but also the feeling that their lives mattered; their struggles built a great town that’s still great today. Visiting a cemetery can be a somber occasion, but for us it was a wonderfully inspiring complement to our journey through Jacksonville.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Return to The Lounge & Member News