We saw the deepest lake in the US!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

We saw the deepest lake in the US!

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:58 pm

We were lucky to visit on a clear day, which highlighted the spectacularly deep blue color in Crater Lake. It really is one of the most pristine lakes in the world, formed over 7,700 years ago from a volcano where rain and snow have created the deepest lake in the USA at 1,943 feet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLenYhEVBQ

It was a busy Sunday afternoon and we were lucky to find a parking space. We ate a picnic lunch (leftover Italian food from a restaurant in Medford) and then took a walk around the rim. It is truly breathtaking to take in the immensity of this natural wonder.

The lake is so large it even has its own island in the middle of it, named Wizard Island. Being part of a former volcano, the elevation is over 6,000 feet high, so we could still see some piles of snow on the other side of the lake.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: We saw the deepest lake in the US!

Postby norton ash » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Wow, I had no idea it was that deep. Always wanted to visit there.
Zen horse
norton ash

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:30 pm

^^^^^^^^
It's worth the trip. Even bluer in person!
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:23 pm

This is my lake - Seneca Lake, a glacial lake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Lake_(New_York)

Burnt Hill

Postby Nordic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:18 am

Is that one of the finger lakes? If so, that area is freakin beautiful.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:24 am

Yes Nordic, the Finger Lakes.
Stunning vistas, rich Native American history, Gorges and Wine!
But Damn cold right now...
Burnt Hill

Postby PufPuf93 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:27 pm

Oregon Caves National Monument, also managed by the National Park Service, is also in southern Oregon and worth a visit.

Looking forward to your video!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Ca ... d_Preserve

https://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm

Hint: Not that far to Redwood National Park or southern Oregon beaches.
PufPuf93

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that, Burnt Hill. I've got a friend who lives in upstate New York who has been telling me to take a vacation there, that there's great wine in the Finger Lakes area. That picture just gives me extra incentive!
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:54 pm

PufPuf93 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:27 pm wrote:Oregon Caves National Monument, also managed by the National Park Service, is also in southern Oregon and worth a visit.

Looking forward to your video!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Ca ... d_Preserve

https://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm

Hint: Not that far to Redwood National Park or southern Oregon beaches.

Thanks for the great suggestion, PufPuf93! I haven't been there in about 20 years, but it is a gorgeous and fascinating place. Next time Neek and I head out there, we will definitely try to capture as much of it on video as we can!
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby 82_28 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:25 pm

In the early 1960s, the U.S. Navy did a survey of the lake using a Furuno depth sounder. They were not able to verify the maximum depth on their equipment. During a 1970 depth survey conducted by the students of the fisheries program at Peninsula College in Port Angeles, Washington, students used instruments that could not record measurements beyond a depth of 624 feet, which thus became the "official" depth of the lake as recorded by the National Park Service. However, when power cable was being laid in the lake, instruments showed depths in excess of 1000 feet, the maximum range of the equipment used. The actual maximum depth of Lake Crescent remains unknown.

The Lake Crescent Bathymetric Survey: In 2013 and 2014 geographic data scientists Eian Ray and Jeff Enge performed a lake-wide bathymetric survey, taking over 5,000 depth soundings. GIS statistical analysis showed the lake contains approximately 0.5 cubic miles of fresh water. The deepest spot was shown to be 596 feet deep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Crescent

Lake Crescent is a sight to behold. If you make your way out to Washington, hit me up. I think that it is because of fissures that drop very deep so there is no way of knowing I guess. I read about it like 20 years ago. They found a car that crashed into it in the 20's and it wasn't discovered until like 2005 or something like that. Lot's of old growth too.

Never been to Crater Lake though. I should as my mom lives in Oregon.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:07 pm

82_28 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:25 pm wrote:Lake Crescent is a sight to behold. If you make your way out to Washington, hit me up. I think that it is because of fissures that drop very deep so there is no way of knowing I guess. I read about it like 20 years ago. They found a car that crashed into it in the 20's and it wasn't discovered until like 2005 or something like that. Lot's of old growth too.

Never been to Crater Lake though. I should as my mom lives in Oregon.

The pictures of Lake Crescent look amazing, though I imagine they probably don't do the place justice, just as with Crater Lake. Next time we head out to Washington, I will definitely hit you up. The Pacific Northwest has so many beautiful areas to explore!
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Return to The Lounge & Member News