Just bought my first Tobacco Pipe!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Just bought my first Tobacco Pipe!

Postby Novem5er » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:39 pm

Where's the puke emoji? LOL

But kids are funny like that, when everything is fresh and new. I look back though time and I'm so embarrassed by that kind of stuff, but then I smile at the memory of great it all was :)
Novem5er

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Novem5er » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:00 pm

So I had my first smoke with my new pipe and it was magical.

First, I have to say that I cheated a little bit and bought a cheap pipe and some Captain Black Gold at the local store last week. The tobacco was good, but the pipe was, well, cheap.

My "real" pipe arrived this last weekend but this was the first night I had a chance to try it out. It's not an expensive pipe, maybe $50 retail (I got it on discount), but I can really tell the difference between it and the cheap one I bought last week. I packed it as I learned on YouTube and had practiced once last week, then I went out to the front patio and lite her up.

Ahhhh.... The air was cold, the moon was rising, and the Captain Black was smooth. It was very meditative to be alone under the stars, unfocused on anything other than sipping on the pipe to keep it alight. I had no phone, no internet, and no conversation. I could have been enjoying the same evening 50 years prior or 100.

I don't think I will make it a nightly habit, and the Florida air will grow too muggy and bug-infested in a few months, but I'm already looking forward to relaxing under the moon again very soon. My wife is interested, so she might join me next time. Cheers, everyone!
Novem5er

Postby Cordelia » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:28 pm

:thumbsup

I really like the thought of a couple enjoying an evening pipe smoke together (won't the bugs be deterred by the pipes?)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane......I know I won't take up smoking a pipe again but I was playing w/a mixed-media gesso panel and couldn't decide what to put in 'my' Renaissance lady's hand; an elegant pipe will be perfect, something like..........

(Bit of dental trivia, someone in the business told me that a dentist can tell if a patient smokes cigarettes, pipes and/or cigars.)

(not my picture! :wink: )
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Novem5er » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:05 pm

I think there's something classic about an image of someone smoking a pipe, but to be honest, cigarette look kind of classy too in the old movies :) I'd love to see your painting when you finish it!

For myself, I think it will be like all my other hobbies and I will lose interest after a bit and then pick it up again months later. I tend to get really into something for a few day or weeks and then drop it entirely with disdain, only to go back to it weeks, months, or years later. I do this with video games, drawing, painting, writing, exercise, alcohol, and even certain types of food.

(I imagine the dentist thing is true! I brushed my teeth after I had that pipe and I could still taste stale smoke until I brushed them again an hour later before bed)

On a weird parenting note, my little 5 year old girl just walked up to me and asked in her squeaky mouse voice, "Papa, when are you going to use your pipe-thing to make smoke?!" and she gestured wildly with her arms in the air. I'm not sure how I feel about endearing a positive attitude towards tobacco in my children (bad, actually), but at least she is filled with wonder and awe at her papa. :lovehearts:
Novem5er

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News