Casa Sirena and The Lobster Trap - Abandoned in Oxnard, CA

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Casa Sirena and The Lobster Trap - Abandoned in Oxnard, CA

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Exploring an abandoned place often has a level of excitement mixed with the obvious curiosity of discovery. But I had an entirely different feeling when Neek and I explored the Lobster Trap restaurant in Oxnard, California. That’s because of my personal history: when this restaurant is in operation, I ate here many times with my late father, with my siblings, and with Neek. It was a really wonderful old-school sit-down seafood restaurant with attentive waiters, an impressive menu (the lobster thermidor was simply the best!) and an absolutely stunning view of the harbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKu0ka1mBZA

But now the place has been abandoned for over six years. Yet there are still so many things left behind that triggered happy memories for me.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Casa Sirena and The Lobster Trap - Abandoned in Oxnard,

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:37 pm

I can see it now:

Casa Rigorous

The Intuitive Lobster

The Rigorous Intuition Conference Center

What the place needs is good landscaping.

Bet you could easily find out its status.

Maybe for sale cheap but very likely being held pending demolition for a higher end development.
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Even in Oxnard, I doubt it's cheap.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Nordic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:27 pm wrote:Even in Oxnard, I doubt it's cheap.

I meant relatively cheap for coastal southern California (which means very expensive).

That is why I mentioned pending demolition for higher end development.

We could eat fish and chat and brainwash the masses in our RI conference and seminar center.

I like halibut, salmon, and Dungeness crab more than lobster.
PufPuf93

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 am

I love the way you're thinking, PufPuf93! I prefer crab more than lobster too (particularly Alaskan King Crab!) but I would want the word Lobster in the name of the place. Both to honor the origins of the restaurant and as a tip of the hat to that great parapolitical publication from the 90s. I'll see if I can find out what the price might be!
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Casa Sirena and Lobster Trap
(Last Updated 10/3/2016)

The Public Works Amendment (PWPA6) adopted by the Board of Supervisors on March 22, 2016, has been approved by California Coastal Commission on July 14, 2016. The Notice of Impending Development (NOID) will be filed at a future date.

Brighton Management, operating as Bright Peninsula Road, is in a Lease Option Agreement with the County of Ventura to pursue replacement of the hotel and restaurant. During the Lease Option Agreement, Bright will be working to obtain approvals from the California Coastal Commission and other public agencies, complete building design, and obtain building permits. The Lease Option Agreement calls for a 205-room hotel and a 5,000 + square foot restaurant. Meeting space will be contained within the hotel.

Please check back regularly for continued updates.

The Board of Supervisors and the Harbor Department would like to know what are your thoughts on the Fisherman's Wharf project? Please take the opportunity to comment.

http://www.channelislandsharbor.org/Casa%20Sirena.html
Iamwhomiam

Return to The Lounge & Member News