Hiking around Vasquez Rocks

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Hiking around Vasquez Rocks

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Sometimes I come just to take in the unique natural wonder of the landscape of Vasquez Rocks, but this time I wanted to climb. I thought I could go pretty high as I was wearing some pretty durable mountain climbing shoes. At first, it was fairly easy and I was hopeful Neek would be able to capture my climb to the top on video. But as steep as it seems going up, coming down seems even more treacherous! I had to be careful, but I was able to make it down without a problem. Most important to me, I had a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmFKQG5diuw
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Hiking around Vasquez Rocks

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I was not aware of the place name Vasquez Rocks and also have not watched Star Trek; however, I recognized the area immediately followed by an internet search to confirm.

Vasquez Rocks is used repeatedly as a setting in the TV series Roswell.

Cool (as always).
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks PufPuf93! Yeah, I used to watch Roswell occasionally - Neek was a big fan. There's quite a number of sci-fi shows that have used it over the years. I remember when I was a kid I was a fan of the TV show The Greatest American Hero. I watched the pilot again a couple years ago and was surprised to see Vasquez Rocks the setting for the scene where William Katt first encounters the aliens.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:12 pm

When you pull into the driveway where the sign for the entrance to Vasquez Rocks is off of Escondido Canyon Road, there is a building towards the right that was new to Neek and I. This is the Vasquez Rocks Interpretive Center. It’s been open for a few years now and it is a fascinating and welcome addition to Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANswZqqqAnk
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Return to The Lounge & Member News