The First Western Movie Star – William S. Hart

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The First Western Movie Star – William S. Hart

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Southern California has been the home of movie stars for over 100 years now. One of the most famous Western stars from the silent film era was William S. Hart. Originally a New York stage actor famous for leading roles in classic productions, as well as playing Messala in the original production of “Ben-Hur,” Hart made a sudden transition to films in 1913. While traveling with a stage production, he saw a Western film in a nickelodeon and was inspired to make Westerns by how terrible it was! Hart grew up traveling around the Old West and spent time with Sioux children learning the Sioux language and how to hunt and ride horses. Hart felt that with his knowledge, he could make authentic Westerns true to the Old West he remembered from his childhood.

From 1914 to 1925, Hart starred in approximately 70 feature films, many of them produced by his friend and former cast mate, Thomas Ince, who operated his own movie studio in Santa Monica. “Two Gun Bill” created an iconic character, a bad guy (outlaw, gamber, etc.) who has a heart of gold that puts him on a good honest path by the end of the film. The stories were gritty and realistic, forerunners of what would become the Epic Western. In 1917, his movies were some of the highest grossing in the industry. By the early 20’s, the flashy costume/flashy action westerns of Tom Mix became more fashionable. Hart made one last western, the epic “Tumbleweeds,” then retired in 1925. Until he passed away in 1946, he lived on his ranch in Newhall, which he bequeathed to the County of Los Angeles to be converted to a park and museum for the public.

Neek and I loved exploring the grounds of the William S. Hart Ranch, though at 260 acres, I doubt we covered even half that ground!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lDO2kQ2aDo
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: The First Western Movie Star – William S. Hart

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

This is part two of our visit to the William S. Hart Museum. There's a whole lot of beautiful art of Western motifs as well as memorabilia from the silent film era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZV6Ev58s8
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Very nice. Thank you both.

At 4:23 - on top of the oven on the left side is a stove-top popcorn maker with crank to stir kernels on top.

Antique units like Hart's are still available and quite popular. His range has six burners, so it's a bit larger than the more common 4-burner. $150 - $300, but fancier units with more colorful decoration you'll pay ten times that or more. The psychedelia market always commands a premium, especially items from the pre-Harrison Act years during the slide from Nouveau into Deco. Stoners back then paid more for those things too.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:45 pm

Iamwhomiam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:22 pm wrote:Very nice. Thank you both.

At 4:23 - on top of the oven on the left side is a stove-top popcorn maker with crank to stir kernels on top.

Antique units like Hart's are still available and quite popular. His range has six burners, so it's a bit larger than the more common 4-burner. $150 - $300, but fancier units with more colorful decoration you'll pay ten times that or more. The psychedelia market always commands a premium, especially items from the pre-Harrison Act years during the slide from Nouveau into Deco. Stoners back then paid more for those things too.

You're welcome, Iamwhomiam, glad you enjoyed them.

Yes, that popcorn maker is amazing! I imagine there's a lot of items in that house that could fetch a mint. Classy way to cook if you get the munchies! :coolshades
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Return to The Lounge & Member News