Abandoned ruins from the 1971 Sylmar CA earthquake

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Abandoned ruins from the 1971 Sylmar CA earthquake

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Going on a solo adventure, I recently explored the abandoned ruins of Olive View Hospital in Sylmar, California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgeoDqF3Ok
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Abandoned ruins from the 1971 Sylmar CA earthquake

Postby Elvis » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Fun exploration, I could spend a day there. Did you find any artifacts? That's what I'd be looking for.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 pm

^^^^^^^^^
No, I thought that maybe there might be copper wiring, which would be valuable. But my wife, upon reviewing the footage, said it was only rebar.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:30 pm

The red tiles are probably paving for floors and hallways. Take a look to see what the medical center and sanitarium looked like at the time it partially collapsed:

http://tinyurl.com/mp4o49n
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Iamwhomiam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:30 am wrote:The red tiles are probably paving for floors and hallways. Take a look to see what the medical center and sanitarium looked like at the time it partially collapsed:

http://tinyurl.com/mp4o49n

Thanks for that link, Iamwhomiam. Yeah, I think that's a strong possibility. I did see a photo at that link that there was a portion of the roof that was reddish, but the ones I saw did have a smoother quality than what I would expect from a roof.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Return to The Lounge & Member News