Inglewood, CA: Home of The Forum and Randy's Donuts

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Inglewood, CA: Home of The Forum and Randy's Donuts

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed May 10, 2017 2:21 pm

If you are a basketball fan, you might recognize The Forum in Inglewood, California. It opened on December 30, 1967 and was an unusual and groundbreaking structure in that it had no major support pillars. It was created by Architect Charles Luckman and engineers Carl Johnson and Svend Nielsen and was famous for being the home of The Los Angeles Lakers before moving to the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. Now the venue is rented out for special events and concerts.

If the Randy’s Donuts looks familiar, it’s probably because you’ve seen it in various TV, movies, talk shows and music videos. My favorite is the big donut in Randy Newman’s 80’s hit “I Love LA”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hear6RB5Y2M
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Inglewood, CA: Home of The Forum and Randy's Donuts

Postby 82_28 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:53 am

Ah. That's where that line in Fletch comes from! He says Pup 'n Taco when asked a question in Spanish or something.

Yes, found it on wikiquotes:

Hispanic Housekeeper: Buenos días.
Fletch: Pup 'n' Taco.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu May 11, 2017 4:26 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
HA! Yep, that's true! I guess it was an in-joke for Southern Californians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqrz4WNPOf0
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby 82_28 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:52 am

What is also cool is that Fletch was a crazy Lakers fan. Which The "fabulous" Forum was where they played. As you well know. Anyway, another cool mini documentary, Robert. I have both Fletch and Fletch Lives laying around on some hard drive. Have to find it. I watched Fletch like every day as a kid.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to The Lounge & Member News