Devils Tower National Monument - Road Trip Vlog 3

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Devils Tower National Monument - Road Trip Vlog 3

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Seeing Devils Tower on the horizon is amazing. Neek, Sar and I pulled over once we saw a turn-out and got out to get a better view. There is something other-worldly about seeing, in the midst of the rolling forest and hills, this humungous geological formation raised so tall above everything around it. We got back in the car; excited about how close we were getting to this wonder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYH8sFLfwUk
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Devils Tower National Monument - Road Trip Vlog 3

Postby Elvis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 am

Cool!!
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:46 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks, Elvis, glad you liked it!
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks, Robert! Before watching I believed the tower was basalt. The legend I had been familiar with though, and went to wiki for more about the scratches and learned they were another igneous rock that formed vertical columns of crystals similar to those of basalt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_Tower#Theories_of_formation
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:22 pm

I've never been there, I've been curious about the lay of the land around the monument. I guess the idea of Richard Dreyfuss climbing to the top without gear was cinematic license...looks like no way you could just 'walk' up there.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm

Iamwhomiam » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:12 pm wrote:Thanks, Robert! Before watching I believed the tower was basalt. The legend I had been familiar with though, and went to wiki for more about the scratches and learned they were another igneous rock that formed vertical columns of crystals similar to those of basalt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_Tower#Theories_of_formation

It really is an amazing geological phenomenon that there are still competing theories of just how this came into being millions of years ago. I really can't think of any geological structure on the planet quite like Devils Tower.
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Return to The Lounge & Member News