Did We Finish Our Hwy 50 Challenge? - Road Trip Vlog 20

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Did We Finish Our Hwy 50 Challenge? - Road Trip Vlog 20

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:30 pm

After leaving Austin, Neek, Sar and I drove back on to Highway 50 and motored through the expansive beauty of Nevada. It was around 2pm and while we had driven through half of “The Loneliest Road in America,” we still had four more stamps to get to complete our booklet and receive our certificate of completion. We were a bit concerned that since some of the places that do stamping might close at 5pm, we would have to hurry to reach our goal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOWysmn7YAI
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Did We Finish Our Hwy 50 Challenge? - Road Trip Vlog 20

Postby PufPuf93 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:52 pm

Congratulations on end of HW50 Challenge.

Where next?
PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:54 pm

PufPuf93 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 pm wrote:Congratulations on end of HW50 Challenge.

Where next?

Thanks PufPuf93.

Next up: Virginia City!
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby PufPuf93 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:33 pm

I thought you had mentioned going to Virginia City. I was there only one, in December 1977 as a day trip during a honeymoon (we had the use of a house at North Lake Tahoe).

Virginia City has a notable place as the "seed" for the 1960's San Francisco rock music scene. I wonder what is in Virginia City now to record that time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charl ... rican_band)

The Charlatans were an influential folk rock and psychedelic rock band that played a role in the development of the San Francisco music scene during the 1960s and are often cited by critics as being the first group to play in the style that became known as the San Francisco Sound.[4][5][6] Exhibiting more pronounced jug band, country and blues influences than many bands from the same scene, the Charlatans' rebellious attitude and distinctive late 19th-century fashions exerted a major influence on the Summer of Love in San Francisco.[7] Their recorded output was small, with their first album, The Charlatans, not being released until 1969, some years after the band's heyday. The band is notable for featuring the first commercial appearance of Dan Hicks, later of Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks.

Formed in the middle of 1964 by amateur avant-garde musician George Hunter and music major Richard Olsen, the earliest lineup of The Charlatans featured George Hunter (autoharp, vocals), Olsen (bass, vocals), Mike Wilhelm (lead guitar, vocals), Mike Ferguson (piano/keyboards, vocals), and Sam Linde (drums). Linde's drumming was felt to be substandard by the rest of the band and he was soon replaced by Dan Hicks (drums, vocals).[7] The group was known for their style of dress, clothing themselves in late 19th-century attire, as if they were Victorian dandies or Wild West gunslingers. This eye-catching choice of clothing was influential on the emerging hippie counter-culture, with young San Franciscans dressing in similarly late Victorian and early Edwardian era clothing.[4][7]

In June 1965, the Charlatans began an extended residency at the Red Dog Saloon in Virginia City, Nevada, just across the border from Northern California. This six-week stint at the Red Dog was important because band members Mike Ferguson and George Hunter produced a rock concert poster in advance of the residency to promote the performances. This poster—known as "The Seed"—is almost certainly the first psychedelic concert poster.[8] By the end of the decade, psychedelic concert-poster artwork by artists such as Wes Wilson, Rick Griffin, Stanley Mouse, Alton Kelley, and Victor Moscoso had become a mainstay of San Francisco's music scene. There were, in fact, two "Seed" posters, which look almost identical. They are differentiated by their dates. The first lists the band as playing between June 1 and 15, while the second states "Opening June 21".

Another reason that the Charlatans' extended stay at the Red Dog Saloon was important was that, immediately before their first performance at the club, the band members took LSD. As a result, the Charlatans are sometimes called the first acid rock band, although their sound is not representative of the feedback-drenched, improvisational music that would later come to define acid rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS2gm0dIhq4

PufPuf93

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:12 pm

PufPuf93 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:33 pm wrote:I thought you had mentioned going to Virginia City. I was there only one, in December 1977 as a day trip during a honeymoon (we had the use of a house at North Lake Tahoe).

Virginia City has a notable place as the "seed" for the 1960's San Francisco rock music scene. I wonder what is in Virginia City now to record that time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charl ... rican_band)

The Charlatans were an influential folk rock and psychedelic rock band that played a role in the development of the San Francisco music scene during the 1960s and are often cited by critics as being the first group to play in the style that became known as the San Francisco Sound.[4][5][6] Exhibiting more pronounced jug band, country and blues influences than many bands from the same scene, the Charlatans' rebellious attitude and distinctive late 19th-century fashions exerted a major influence on the Summer of Love in San Francisco.[7] Their recorded output was small, with their first album, The Charlatans, not being released until 1969, some years after the band's heyday. The band is notable for featuring the first commercial appearance of Dan Hicks, later of Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks.

Formed in the middle of 1964 by amateur avant-garde musician George Hunter and music major Richard Olsen, the earliest lineup of The Charlatans featured George Hunter (autoharp, vocals), Olsen (bass, vocals), Mike Wilhelm (lead guitar, vocals), Mike Ferguson (piano/keyboards, vocals), and Sam Linde (drums). Linde's drumming was felt to be substandard by the rest of the band and he was soon replaced by Dan Hicks (drums, vocals).[7] The group was known for their style of dress, clothing themselves in late 19th-century attire, as if they were Victorian dandies or Wild West gunslingers. This eye-catching choice of clothing was influential on the emerging hippie counter-culture, with young San Franciscans dressing in similarly late Victorian and early Edwardian era clothing.[4][7]

In June 1965, the Charlatans began an extended residency at the Red Dog Saloon in Virginia City, Nevada, just across the border from Northern California. This six-week stint at the Red Dog was important because band members Mike Ferguson and George Hunter produced a rock concert poster in advance of the residency to promote the performances. This poster—known as "The Seed"—is almost certainly the first psychedelic concert poster.[8] By the end of the decade, psychedelic concert-poster artwork by artists such as Wes Wilson, Rick Griffin, Stanley Mouse, Alton Kelley, and Victor Moscoso had become a mainstay of San Francisco's music scene. There were, in fact, two "Seed" posters, which look almost identical. They are differentiated by their dates. The first lists the band as playing between June 1 and 15, while the second states "Opening June 21".

Another reason that the Charlatans' extended stay at the Red Dog Saloon was important was that, immediately before their first performance at the club, the band members took LSD. As a result, the Charlatans are sometimes called the first acid rock band, although their sound is not representative of the feedback-drenched, improvisational music that would later come to define acid rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS2gm0dIhq4

I have a feeling you're going to love our next set of vlogs! We enjoyed Virginia City so much, I think we've got enough material for three videos. Coming up next will be the Piper Opera House, but after that is our exploration of the C Street saloons, and one of the ones I highlighted is the Red Dog. Back around 2002-2003 (not coincidentally, when the propaganda machine was in full swing for war in Iraq), I really got into psychedelic 60s rock, particularly the San Francisco Sound. It was around that time I found out about The Charlatans. I love the CD that is a compilation of their early recorded output done in 1996, The Amazing Charlatans. Also, I love that DVD that your youtube link refers to - Rockin' at the Red Dog. I highly recommend that if you haven't seen it - really tells the whole story of how everything in that scene began!

Oh, how was that Lake Tahoe honeymoon? I'll bet it was snowy - did you do any skiing?
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Return to The Lounge & Member News