Orson Welles drunk

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Orson Welles drunk

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:21 pm

No disrespect to Mr. Welles, but I found this to be too funny.

"MaaaAaH the French champagne has alwaysbeenclebetatedfiritsdexclance . . ."
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Orson Welles drunk

Postby Grizzly » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:41 pm

I don't know why Orson Wells always reminds me of Hitchcock ...

Saboteur (1942)
Quotes:

[to Tobin]

Barry Kane: Why is it that you sneer every time you refer to this country? You've done pretty well here. I don't get it.

Charles Tobin: You're one of the ardent believers - a good American. Oh, there are millions like you. People who play along, without asking questions. I hate to use the word stupid, but it seems to be the only one that applies. The great masses, the moron millions. Well, there are a few of us unwilling to troop along... a few of us who are clever enough to see that there's much more to be done than just live small complacent lives, a few of us in america who desire a more profitable type of government. When you think about it, Mr. Kane, the competence of totalitarian nations is much higher than ours. They get things done.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Cordelia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:50 am

The commercial is a hoot; he reminded me of a cross between Anthony Hopkins and Raul Julia. (Loved the ....Rosebud......... touch at the end.)

He was an actor--maybe he'd gotten bored w/doing commercials and was just acting drunk.

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Elvis » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE

ORSON WELLES [Reading copy]: "We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July, peas grow there." Do you really mean that?

COMMERCIAL PRODUCER: Uh, yeah.

WELLES: Don't you think you really want to say "July" over the pictures of snow? Isn't that the fun of it?

PRODUCER: Try "in July."

WELLES: I don't understand you.

PRODUCER: And can you emphasize a bit the "in"--in July?

WELLES: Why? That doesn't make any sense. Sorry. There's no known way of saying an English sentence in which you begin a sentence with "in" and emphasize it. Get me a jury and show me how you can say "in July" and I'll go down on you. That's just idiotic, if you'll forgive me for saying so. It's just stupid. "In July"! Impossible. Meaningless.

WELLES [Reading copy]: "We know a certain fjord in Norway near where the cod gather in great shoals. There, Yonster, Stenglin ..." Shit.

PRODUCER: A fraction more on that shoals thing, 'cause you rolled it around very nicely.

WELLES: Yeah, roll it around. And I have no more time. You don't know what I'm up against. This is a very wearying one; it's unpleasant to read. Unrewarding. "Because Finders freeze the cod at sea and then add a crumb-crisp co-- crumb-crisp coating." Ah. That's tough. "Crumb-crisp coating"-- No. You need to break it up. It's not written conversationally.

PRODUCER: Take "crumb" out.

WELLES: What?

WELLES: Take "crumb" out. Good ...

WELLES: Here, under protest, is "beef burgers." "We know a little place in the American Far West where Charlie Briggs chops up the finest prairie-fed beef and tastes ..." This is a lot of shit, you know that? You want one more? More beef?

PRODUCER: You missed the first "beef," actually.

WELLES: What do you mean, missed it?

PRODUCER: You were emphasizing "prairie-fed."

WELLES: But you can't emphasize "beef." That's like you wanting me to emphasize "in" before "July." Come on, fellas, you're losing your heads. I wouldn't direct any living actor like this in Shakespeare, the way you do this. It's impossible.

PRODUCER: Orson, you did six of these last year, and they were far and away the best, and I know the reason.

WELLES: The right reading for this is the one I'm giving it. I've spent twenty times longer reading for you people than for any other commercial I've ever made. You are such pests. What is it you want? In the depths of your ignorance, what is it you want?

PRODUCER: That was absolutely fine. It really was.

WELLES: You know, you're, you-- No amount of money is worth this. [Welles leaves.]

COPYRIGHT 2000 Harper's Magazine Foundation
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/ ... pic=2574.0
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:29 pm

Elvis » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:50 pm wrote:

ORSON WELLES [Reading copy]: "We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July, peas grow there." Do you really mean that?

WELLES: Don't you think you really want to say "July" over the pictures of snow? Isn't that the fun of it?

WELLES: Why? That doesn't make any sense. Sorry. There's no known way of saying an English sentence in which you begin a sentence with "in" and emphasize it. Get me a jury and show me how you can say "in July" and I'll go down on you. That's just idiotic, if you'll forgive me for saying so. It's just stupid. "In July"! Impossible. Meaningless.

WELLES [Reading copy]: "We know a certain fjord in Norway near where the cod gather in great shoals. There, Yonster, Stenglin ..." Shit.

PRODUCER: A fraction more on that shoals thing, 'cause you rolled it around very nicely.

WELLES: Yeah, roll it around. And I have no more time. You don't know what I'm up against. This is a very wearying one; it's unpleasant to read. Unrewarding. "Because Finders freeze the cod at sea and then add a crumb-crisp co-- crumb-crisp coating." Ah. That's tough. "Crumb-crisp coating"-- No. You need to break it up. It's not written conversationally.

WELLES: Here, under protest, is "beef burgers." "We know a little place in the American Far West where Charlie Briggs chops up the finest prairie-fed beef and tastes ..." This is a lot of shit, you know that? You want one more? More beef?

WELLES: But you can't emphasize "beef." That's like you wanting me to emphasize "in" before "July." Come on, fellas, you're losing your heads. I wouldn't direct any living actor like this in Shakespeare, the way you do this. It's impossible.

PRODUCER: Orson, you did six of these last year, and they were far and away the best, and I know the reason.

WELLES: The right reading for this is the one I'm giving it. I've spent twenty times longer reading for you people than for any other commercial I've ever made. You are such pests. What is it you want? In the depths of your ignorance, what is it you want?

WELLES: You know, you're, you-- No amount of money is worth this. [Welles leaves.]

Hilariously the inspiration for this John Candy bit.

Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Postby Grizzly » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:45 am

This was very touching ... indeed, classy as Deano, says...

I was a kid then, but I remember Jimmy well...
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Cordelia » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:01 am

Elvis » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:50 pm wrote:

^^^That's terrific (and how I imagine JackR responding should he ever be engaged in a script dispute while shooting a commercial for frozen peas.)

It looks like sampling the G & G whiskey also got out of hand--but was badly dubbed--in compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpHfVjOeCc

Jaysus but he was a handsome man!

(King of Denmark cigar manufacturers or Blackglama furrier's 'What Becomes a Legend Most' ad campaign should have enticed him to be their male celebrity--he could have been a great ham & a lot of fun to watch.)

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Laodicean » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Return to The Lounge & Member News