Top Ten Albums

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:31 pm

These are my top ten albums of all time:

1. Iron Maiden - Poweslave
2. Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
3. Queensryche - The Warning
4. Accept - Balls to the Wall
5. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part ll
6. Megadeth - Peace Sells . . . But Who's Buying?
7. Metallica - Master of Puppets
8. Overkill - From the Underground and Below
9. Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
10. Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife

My absolute favourite non-metal album is Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend. If I had to choose one album to have with me on a deserted island it would be that one. Just seems out of place for the above list. Call it my all time metal list.

I know it's probably a cliche to post this kind of list but I still wanted to share it and also learn what else others might put up. I always find these lists interesting. :basicsmile
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Top Ten Albums

Postby DrEvil » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Nice list, although I would probably have replaced Powerslave with Killers or Iron Maiden and Master of Puppets with Kill 'Em All. Not sure I can come up with a ranked top ten, but some favorites in random order:

Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Leftfield - Leftism
Prodigy - Experience
Plaid - Rest Proof Clockwork
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
Twilight Circus Dub Sound System - Binshaker Dub
Operation Ivy - Operation Ivy
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:46 pm

I misspelled Powerslave. Or it's a typo.

I can't tell you how many evenings I spent listening to Powerslave. While my friends were out getting drunk, smoking weed or trying to find the weekly weekend party, I was at home listening to Iron Maiden. I grew up in a small town, my access to a wide range of music was limited. My love of metal came mostly from my older brother, who had a stereo he played loudly. He listened to Maiden, Priest, Accept, Queensryche, these were how I was exposed to these bands.

Only heard of Beastie Boys, Prodigy and Primal Scream on DrEvil's list. Shall I check out the others?
Handsome B. Wonderful

Postby DrEvil » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:46 pm

^^Depends on your tastes really, but it's never a bad thing to check out new music. Only metal album is Arcturus, Squarepusher, Plaid and Leftfield are electronica, Turbonegro and Operation Ivy are punk and Twilight Circus is dub.
DrEvil

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:52 pm

I was listening to some of those bands on YT. I recently downloaded a band called Ulver. They're from Norway. Started out as black metal but transitioned to a form of pop music and electronica. Have you heard them DrEvil?
Handsome B. Wonderful

Postby DrEvil » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:57 pm

Yeah, it's one of those bands I don't listen to very often, but I always come back to them at some point and end up spending a few hours on Youtube or Spotify. I usually stick to electronica and black metal, so Ulver is the perfect crossover.
DrEvil

Postby dada » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:57 am

I hardly ever listen to music anymore. Used to listen to everything, every style. Now I try, but nothing grabs me. Not the fusion, not the Indian music, nothing at all. Yesterday something stirred some metal memories, so I put on some old albums. Bands I once loved, Kreator, Voivod, just aren't doing it for me. Feels so strange, like things that used to move me have all turned to ashes. I kind of like it, though. Like something in the core of me has evolved into something else that I don't recognize.

The only album I could listen to all the way through is Somewhere in Time.That's Maiden, for those who don't know. The maiden pinball machine is great, by the way. Everyone seems to like the metallica pinball machine, but it doesn't do it for me. Why, I have no idea.

Other than that, I can still listen to King Diamond. The atmosphere is just so fun, never gets old.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 pm

I kind of know what you mean. I used to listen to Pantera non stop back in the 90's. I thought they were the world's greatest rock band at the time. Now I barely listen to them. I still bought the anniversary editions of their albums (except Reinventing the Steel). I dunno, I still find myself listening to a lot of metal. Mainly power metal. I go to angrymetalguy.com and read a lot of their reviews, they are self confessed metal snobs. I picked up bands like Khemmis, Spirit Adrift, Enshine, Cromonic, Excalion, Dialith, Visigoth, on their recommendations and I am happier for it. One stand out album for me is Nightmare's "Aeternam". I absolutely love it and highly recommend it.

BTW, I just DL'ed some Kreator from iTunes. Mainly for the songs Toxic Trace and Betrayer. THRASH THE WALL! lol
Handsome B. Wonderful

Postby freemason9 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31 pm

Handsome B. Wonderful » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:31 pm wrote:These are my top ten albums of all time:

1. Iron Maiden - Poweslave
2. Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
3. Queensryche - The Warning
4. Accept - Balls to the Wall
5. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part ll
6. Megadeth - Peace Sells . . . But Who's Buying?
7. Metallica - Master of Puppets
8. Overkill - From the Underground and Below
9. Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
10. Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife

My absolute favourite non-metal album is Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend. If I had to choose one album to have with me on a deserted island it would be that one. Just seems out of place for the above list. Call it my all time metal list.

I know it's probably a cliche to post this kind of list but I still wanted to share it and also learn what else others might put up. I always find these lists interesting. :basicsmile

Those are your top ten albums? wow.
The real issue is that there is extremely low likelihood that the speculations of the untrained, on a topic almost pathologically riddled by dynamic considerations and feedback effects, will offer anything new.
freemason9

Postby DrEvil » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:16 pm

Don't be shy. We showed you ours, now show us yours.
DrEvil

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:34 pm

freemason9: I bet my list is as big as yours.
Handsome B. Wonderful

Return to The Lounge & Member News