What are you reading right now?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby dada » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Frank Herbert
By Timothy O'Reilly
Copyright � 1981 by Frederick Ungar Publishing Co., Inc. (Out of print.)

http://oreilly.com/tim/herbert/intro.html

How I Came to Write Frank Herbert

In the fall of 1977, when I was a couple of years out of college, I received an unexpected call from a friend, Dick Riley. He'd just landed a new job at a small publisher called Frederick Ungar, as the editor of a series of short critical monographs on detective and science-fiction writers. He was looking for authors, and as he knew I was fond of science fiction, he thought of me. Would I write a book about Frank Herbert, he wanted to know.

I struggled with his proposal, but eventually decided to give it a try. It was a momentous decision, since it was in undertaking the book that I came to think of myself as a writer. (Ironically, it was the same day that my programmer friend Peter Brajer asked me to help him rewrite his resume so he could land a job writing a manual--a job that I eventually came to help him with, and which led to our partnership not long afterwards.)

I wrote Frank Herbert over a period of about two years, and it was published in 1981. In the course of writing it, I read all of Herbert's novels, stories, and essays, as well as a lot of his newspaper writing (which, by coincidence, included a stint at the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, the local paper for the region in which I now live.) I interviewed him several times, and, in a small way, we became friends. His ideas came to influence me deeply. I had always loved Dune and Dune Messiah, and especially the idea that predicting the future too closely can lead to a kind of paralysis. But the deeper I went, the more substance I found. Ecology, mysticism, and a kind of hard-headed insistence on the relativity of human perception and the limits of knowledge combine into a richer mix than is found in a lot of science-fiction. There's some really cool stuff here!

My goal in writing the book was not to be a "critic", but an enthusiast. I wanted to share the additional information I'd uncovered, to present it in a way that illuminated Herbert's work without diminishing it or "dullifying" it. In many ways, this was the same goal I embraced as a technical writer, to bring transparent assistance to the reader's own experience, not to replace it with my own.

Like many publishing ventures, Ungar's Recognitions series (as it was called) went largely unrecognized. Ungar itself was eventually sold to another publisher, Crossroads/Continuum, and the book went out of print, where it has remained for many years. (The last time I remember getting a royalty statement was in the late 80's.)

From time to time, I get letters from people asking if the book is still available, and I've always had to tell them no. (I have just two copies left myself--one hardcover, the other paperback--having given away my last "extra" just last year, to none other than Jeff Bezos, when I discovered on our trip to Washington that he was a big Frank Herbert fan!)

Last year, I wrote to Crossroads/Continuum and asked for a reversion of rights to the book so I could put it up on the Web. My letter went unanswered. Since they didn't bother to answer, I decided to go ahead and do it anyway, figuring, as they say, that it's sometimes easier to get forgiveness than permission. If anyone from Crossroads/Continuum notices, please give me a call or drop an email. I'd love to see the book back in print, or if not, at least to have your blessing on this Web version.

I hope those of you who are Frank Herbert fans will enjoy the book, and that those of you who are not (yet) will give his books a try. In addition, a few years later, I put together a book with Frank, a collection of his essays called The Maker of Dune, which was published by Berkely/Putnam. That too is out of print, but since most of the writing in it is Frank Herbert's, not mine, I can't in good conscience pull the same trick of putting it up on the Web. You may be able to find a used copy somewhere, or, if enough people care about it, perhaps the publisher could be persuaded to put it back into print. (Actually, I suppose that I could put up the interviews, which I believe I retained copyright on, but that's a project for another day.)
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Postby dada » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 pm

The Esoteric Secrets of Surrealism: origins, magic, and secret societies

Hasn't been released yet.

ebook
http://innertraditions.com/esotericsecrets

http://store.innertraditions.com/isbn/978-1-62055-175-2

Why do I bother bringing manna to the RI boards? I must love you guys and girls.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Elihu » Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 am

Notes & Outlines
MATTHEW
J. Vernon McGee
GOSPELOFMATTHEW
Although it is not alleged that the arrangement of the books of the Bible is
inspired, it is a historical fact that spiritual and scholarly men supervised the
arrangement of the books of the New Testament canon. Therefore, it is no accident
that the Gospel of Matthew is first. Even Renan, the French skeptic, said
of this Gospel, “…the most important book in Christendom — the most important
book that ever has been written.” This Gospel stands like a swinging door
between the two Testaments. It swings back into the Old Testament and gathers
up prophecies fulfilled at the first coming of Christ, and it swings into the
New Testament and speaks of the “new creation” of God, “Upon this rock I will
build my church” (Matthew 16:18).
WRITER:
Matthew was a converted publican (Matthew 9:9) who was chosen to write to
the Jews concerning their Messiah.
KEY:
Matthew presents the program of God. The “kingdom of heaven” is an expression
which is peculiar to this Gospel. It occurs 32 times. The word “kingdom”
occurs 50 times. A proper understanding of the phrase “kingdom of heaven” is
essential to any interpretation of the Bible. The kingdom of heaven and the
church are not the same. John the Baptist was the first to use the expression
“the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 3:2). He began his ministry with the bold
and startling announcement, “Repent; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
When the Lord Jesus Christ began His ministry, He likewise began with this
very announcement (Matthew 4:17). Neither John nor Jesus attempted to
explain the meaning of the term. It is reasonable to assume that the people to
whom the message was given had some conception of its meaning. The Jews
of the first century in Palestine had a clearer understanding of the term than the
average church member in Christendom today. They were not confused by the
theologians of 19 centuries who have attempted to fit the term into some system
of theology. In this they were fortunate. They understood the term to be
the sum total of all the prophecies of the Old Testament concerning the coming
of the King from heaven to set up a kingdom on this earth with heaven’s standard.
The concept is not new (Daniel 2:44; 7:14, 27).
To read into this expression the history since John and Jesus made the first
announcement is a presumption which the Scriptures will not countenance. The
kingdom was near in the person of the King. The kingdom has not been postponed,
as God still intends to carry out His earthly purpose on schedule — “Yet
have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion” (Psalm 2:6). God’s dealing with
men since the rejection and crucifixion of the King has been in the framework
of the kingdom of heaven. He is carrying out a heavenly purpose today “bringing
many sons unto glory” (Hebrews 2:10). The calling out of the church is not
synonymous with the kingdom of heaven, though the church is in the kingdom
of heaven (Matthew 13). Neither is the term “kingdom of God” synonymous
with “kingdom of heaven.” The “kingdom of God”' is a broader term that
encompasses all of God’s creation, including angels. The following chart may
be helpful in thinking of these terms with the proper distinction.
The church is in the kingdom of heaven, but it is not the same; likewise it is
in the kingdom of God. Los Angeles is in the state of California, but it is not the
same. California is in the United States and is part of it, but it is not identical to
the whole country — in spite of what the Chamber of Commerce claims.
It will be seen that the term “kingdom of heaven” is a progressive term in the
Gospel of Matthew. It assumes the mystery form during the days of the rejection
of the King, but the King becomes a sower in the world (Matthew 13). The kingdom
will be established on this earth at the return of the King (Matthew 24, 25).
The four Gospels constitute a modern newspaper: Matthew contains the
announcements and advertising, “The kingdom of heaven is at hand”; Mark
carries the flaming headlines, “Behold my servant” (we need to know the headlines,
at least, of God’s program); Luke has the special features — he alone
records the songs connected with the birth of Christ, the stories of the Good
Samaritan and of the Prodigal Son; John has the editorial section — he has written
on the bread of life, the water of life, the true vine, and the Christian life.
OUTLINE: “Behold Your King” — Matthew presents the Lord Jesus Christ
as the King.
I.
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby Cordelia » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:49 pm

City of Thieves by David Benioff. Dark, comedic novel about two young men trying to survive during The Siege of Leningrad. Reminder too of how Russians suffered during WWII.
Cordelia

Postby semper occultus » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:41 pm

.....still on the introduction atm...not even reached a proper page number yet...but already looking in despair at how few pages there are left of this...I'll need to eke out my visit into this world...think Point Break meets Inherent Vice meets Robert Stone's Dog Soldiers...for real...

semper occultus

Postby KUAN » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Thanks semper, I've ordered that from the library

I know you'd like this, it ventures into the paranormal and is another short read

Jesus Weed
by Gerald Taylor

KUAN

Postby semper occultus » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:30 pm

...yeah, that looks great ..never come across it before, thanks Kuan
semper occultus

Postby DrEvil » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:03 pm

Just started reading John Langan's "The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies".

It's a collection of long "short" stories playing off various horror tropes and twisting them into some very scary stories. Standout so far is Technicolor, a riff on Poe's 'The Masque of the Red Death' (why did Poe really write it..).
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Finished Hancock's Magician of the Gods over the past weekend.

Finished Tuner's Jack Kerouac Angel Headed Hipster yesterday (great collection of beat photos and nice book production; Charter's Kerouac bio and Caroline Cassidy's Off The Road better histories of the times).

Talbot's The Devil's Chessboard about the Dulles brothers is in progress.

Churton's Aleister Crowley The Beast in Berlin is in progress.

These four books were my Christmas presents to myself and started all four simultaneously and have ended up re-reading portions and ultimately starting each book from scratch.

I recommend any of these books for content and a pleasurable read.
PufPuf93

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:22 am

KUAN » 28 Feb 2016 13:20 wrote:Thanks semper, I've ordered that from the library

I know you'd like this, it ventures into the paranormal and is another short read

Jesus Weed
by Gerald Taylor

i know that bloke.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby KUAN » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:01 am

From around Nimby I hear. Have you read it? As I remember he encountered an entity from the faerie world when in (Ireland?), other weird happenings as well I think - it's been a while since I read it. Had the ring of truth to me
KUAN

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:47 am

KUAN » 04 Mar 2016 00:01 wrote:.
From around Nimby I hear. Have you read it? As I remember he encountered an entity from the faerie world when in (Ireland?), other weird happenings as well I think - it's been a while since I read it. Had the ring of truth to me

Its called Nimbin.

Bit of a hippy town.

I haven't read his book. But he's a neighbour (of sorts, in the next little next valley over). I've saved his house during a bushfire tho. Its a weird part of the world here. I'm pretty sure Gerald would be one to embelish tales, but I think some of the weird stuff would have some basis in truth. He might have met an entity in Ireland, or somewhere else. Like right here. This is a weird part of the world. Whatever embelidhments the book would probably have essential truths. Some of the details sound a bit outlandish. Like being a sex slave in mexico, but then who knows. He is an interesting guy.

If you drop mushrooms from the paddocks round here don't be surprised at what shows up. Its usually there anyway but hard to notice. So even if you don't drop any don't be surprised. Gerald may have met and entity in Ireland or maybe in his back yard. Or both.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby KUAN » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Well..., it had a certain, 'you couldn't make it up' quality, but I've been conned before.
As me old mum used to say 'I'll believe you, thousands wouldn't'
KUAN

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:06 am

I haven't read it and I haven't asked him if he's making anything up.

I certainly don't think taking mushrooms and seeing weird shit invalidates the weird shit. Taking them does mean you need to question your experience in terms of what you want and expect to see. gerald is the sort of person who is more likely to do that than to unquestioningly believe those Golden children really are emissaries of the one true God and chemtrails are meant to stop them (which is something a mutual neighbour has said to me in the last 12 months, and repeatedly over the decades.)
Joe Hillshoist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion