re: Jeff and Arcadia

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: internecine feuding on RI? or What?

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:33 am

greencrow0 wrote:I've been posting since 2005 and don't understand any of this...can someone sum it up for me?

I made an erroneous observation that temporarily drove me off the board. Another member here recently pissed me off enough that I began posting again and as a consequence my concerns were brought into the open and addressed.

End of story.
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Mad Onion » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:44 pm

I am not aware if Jeff has a rule against posters maintaining multiple logins. If he does not, perhaps this will encourage one.

The Onion wholeheartedly supports this notion. And he looks forward to seeing the results, hoping that perhaps even a list of such posters will be provided. One wonders if the Onion will be on that list. If he is, one wonders if he will be alone.

Perhaps the Onion is in error about this identity business, however. Perhaps on internet forums everything is exactly as it seems and people are exactly as they portray themselves to be, save, of course, for the wretched Onion.

Perhaps it is not true that people and even groups come to such places as this, carefully choosing their words to stay just within the bounds of whatever has been declared acceptable by the forum moderator.

What say you, Mr. Masonic Plot?
The above post is intended for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflects the opinions of the flesh and blood person writing the text. All writings under the screen name "MASONIC PLOT" are merely a characterization of this created persona.

The Onion's time draws to a close. Whether he appears on the list of dual identity posters or not, he has but a few more days remaining among you. He understands that he will not be missed. This is no tragedy, but merely the fate of Onions throughout the ages.

But the Onion is glad that his unspeakably evil actions have led to fine discussions and a reconciliation of sorts. Onions do appreciate irony.

By the way, speaking of reconciliations, Mr. Ego, your signature seems incomplete. It should, thinks the Onion, read thus:

Abyssus abyssum invocat in voce cataractarum tuarum; omnes gurgites tui et fluctus tui super me transierunt

It's not about hell, Mr. Ego. It is about longing.
*Fear the Onion. *
Mad Onion

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:52 pm

Mad Onion wrote:It's not about hell, Mr. Ego. It is about longing.

What aspect of Hell do you long for most, Mr Onion?

edit: I do admit I enjoyed the read:

http://proverbs.bestlatin.net/audioprov ... vocat.html
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Mad Onion » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:23 pm

What aspect of Hell do you long for most, Mr Onion?

That's it, lad! Put your back into it!

You waste your talents checking up on the Onion's poor Latin skills. Perhaps this will amuse you:
http://www.maranatha-puzzle.com/home.asp
*Fear the Onion. *
Mad Onion

No consistant truths about identities

Postby Avalon » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:53 pm

I know a fair number of people in both their online and "real world" personas, and this goes back to the early nineties.

I have to say to I see no consistant pattern regarding congruence of online and F2F identities and style. Some of them are very articulate and vibrant in person, but have stilted online personas. Others take up a lot of bandwidth online, but are far more reserved in public. I'm probably more the latter.

It's just not something where there is a general rule of thumb that is at all useful.

I thought there might have been a request for single identities when Jeff was moving the board to this incarnation, but we don't seem to have a current policy as far as I can tell.

I find the blog comments pretty unreadable these days, with what seems to be 30 people calling themselves Anonymous. Maybe Jeff should remove the anonymous option, and at least have them chose a handle to use there.
Avalon

Personas....

Postby LilyPatToo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:43 am

I just ran into this assumption (that people will be less than honest when posting online) on another forum and it disturbed me there quite a bit, since it was said by someone who would love to consign me to perdition for my forthright posts about having been exploited in what has all the hallmarks of a government mind control program.

Being long past the age when naivete is in any way attractive, I must say that while I realize that some people are bound to use the anonymity of the net to create false personas, it does NOT follow that I do or that most folks do. For most of us 'different' ones, it's such a HUGE relief to find a flock of birds-of-a-feather that we would sooner die than jeopardize our membership in it by lying.

I'm also a long-time poster on a generally nice, well-behaved board where the owner has the unfortunate habit of inserting into any discussions that make him uncomfortable the comment that the internet is just entertainment and we shouldn't take it so seriously. This makes me cringe each time I read it, since for some of us, the internet is the only place where we've ever felt able to discuss terrible things that have happened to us. We're not dragging out our old pain to entertain bored net denizens at all. We're mainly doing it to raise consciousness about issues that have powerfully affected our own lives.

And sock-puppeting has come close to bringing down boards, so I hope that RI has a way to identify them before they cause harm to the community. I look upon sly trolls the way I do obnoxious toddlers--perhaps they can't help it, but is that any excuse for allowing them to be destructive? We're the grown-ups and it's our responsibility to confront as calmly as we can any frivolous attempts to play havoc with the board. Jeff does a good job, but if we see a malicious game-player toying with one of the community, I think it's incumbent upon us to either politely question the person's intentions or to email Jeff or a mod.

In the Cannonfire thread it was said that 10% of any group are assholes. I replied that here I've found that contingent to be smaller and hopefully we can preserve our favorable ratio AND preserve free speech too.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Re: Personas....

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:09 am

LilyPatToo wrote:I'm also a long-time poster on a generally nice, well-behaved board where the owner has the unfortunate habit of inserting into any discussions that make him uncomfortable the comment that the internet is just entertainment and we shouldn't take it so seriously.

I usually interpret assertions like those as disclaimers of responsibility; read: Apathy, Cowardice. How enticing to brush upon the black of Life and remain relatively unscathed by it with a pixel barrier. I liken it to the filthy rich taking a field trip to the local ghetto knowing at the end of the day their mansion sits warm on top of the hill waiting for them.

A digital voyeurism..
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Mad Onion » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:15 am

We Are Many
by Pablo Neruda

Of the many men whom I am, whom we are,
I cannot settle on a single one.
They are lost to me under the cover of clothing
They have departed for another city.

When everything seems to be set
to show me off as a man of intelligence,
the fool I keep concealed on my person
takes over my talk and occupies my mouth.

On other occasions, I am dozing in the midst
of people of some distinction,
and when I summon my courageous self,
a coward completely unknown to me
swaddles my poor skeleton
in a thousand tiny reservations.

When a stately home bursts into flames,
instead of the fireman I summon,
an arsonist bursts on the scene,
and he is I. There is nothing I can do.
What must I do to distinguish myself?
How can I put myself together?

All the books I read
lionize dazzling hero figures,
brimming with self-assurance.
I die with envy of them;
and, in films where bullets fly on the wind,
I am left in envy of the cowboys,
left admiring even the horses.

But when I call upon my DASHING BEING,
out comes the same OLD LAZY SELF,
and so I never know just WHO I AM,
nor how many I am, nor WHO WE WILL BE BEING.
I would like to be able to touch a bell
and call up my real self, the truly me,
because if I really need my proper self,
I must not allow myself to disappear.

While I am writing, I am far away;
and when I come back, I have already left.
I should like to see if the same thing happens
to other people as it does to me,
to see if as many people are as I am,
and if they seem the same way to themselves.
When this problem has been thoroughly explored,
I am going to school myself so well in things
that, when I try to explain my problems,
I shall speak, not of self, but of geography.
*Fear the Onion. *
Mad Onion

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:50 am

It must suck to be you. How much bitterness and disapointment were you forced to consume before you finally became what you hated?

Thanks for the education in Trust.
Et in Arcadia ego

Re: Personas....

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:02 am

LilyPatToo wrote:... for some of us, the internet is the only place where we've ever felt able to discuss terrible things that have happened to us. We're not dragging out our old pain to entertain bored net denizens at all. We're mainly doing it to raise consciousness about issues that have powerfully affected our own lives.

I look upon sly trolls the way I do obnoxious toddlers--perhaps they can't help it, but is that any excuse for allowing them to be destructive? We're the grown-ups and it's our responsibility to confront as calmly as we can any frivolous attempts...

In the Cannonfire thread it was said that 10% of any group are assholes. I replied that here I've found that contingent to be smaller and hopefully we can preserve our favorable ratio AND preserve free speech too.

LilyPat

Here here, LilyPat. Well said. I think almost all here at RI consider this a valuable conduit for their humanity, even some who don't give that impression to us. The need to be heard is universal but realized in very different ways.

I'm aware that some need a place to express wilder fantasies or barely-founded possibilities than are welcomed in conventional circles even as I harp on the need to first promote a baseline rationality and database of certainty.

I don't mean to be an intolerant asshole about "bullshit" but our country's infowar culture is a runaway train and too many proverbial two year-olds are playing with the intercom system.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby blanc » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:20 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with LilyPat. what's the point of using anonymity to create falsehood or fiction? its just a bore for everyone - except presumably the masterbatory nerd thinking "fooled-ya"

even our greatest writers had not the capacity to create stand alone characters, who function in mundane reality - attempts to post as a fictional persona are lame and shallow.

not giving a real name, while sharing your real views or opinions or experiences, is a safety net - necessary because of the openess of the forum. that's all.
blanc

Postby Mad Onion » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:47 pm

The Onion would strongly urge those of you who think that trusting people in an anonymous forum is wise to reconsider. The Onion has called attention to his own artifice. Others are not so considerate.

For example,

A Suggestion by David Duke

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/show...postcount=3568

Quote :

"On getting the word.

Let's take the best forums for our side first, paleo-conservative, anti-government, anti-control, anti-immigration forums, a natural audience for us.

There are many of my articles you can paste into your posts, their are links to my articles, etc. etc.

Next you have antiwar sites of both right and left and many newspaper forums that have numerous posts about the war. What a great place to put http://www.nowarforisrael.com
links or links to my articles on Israel and the Jewish supremacists role in this insane war.The opportunities abound.

and a note from the person who posted mr. Duke's advice:

You don't want to be looked upon as a spammer or seem obviously bias right away, so when starting out on a new forum or group, perhaps join in on a conversation first, then give reference, in depth opinion, and more information as the conversation progresses. If you become a well known member, you have less chance of being moderated or having your posts deleted.

Stormfront is but one example. And likely one of the least sophisticated. By the way, the Onion is not speaking here of Mr. Yesferatu. The Onion sees no evidence that he is part of some intentional propaganda campaign as much as he finds Mr. Yes's viewpoints to be abhorrent.

In any event, opprobrium on the Onion is not a problem but do please understand that even schoolchildren are taught not to trust the words of an anonymous correspondent on the internet. Perhaps offline relationships might build, but then they are no longer anonymous. Still, please proceed with care in that direction as well. The Onion suggests a look at Mr. Ted Gunderson for a particularly appropriate example.
*Fear the Onion. *
Mad Onion

trust

Postby blanc » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:41 pm

"please understand that even schoolchildren are taught not to trust the words of an anonymous correspondent on the internet"

well thanks onion, but don't need elaborate posturing and identity swapping to make me 'understand' that trust is not given to anonymous posters - have worked that out all by my little itsy bitsy self
blanc

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Gee, Onion, you're all heart! (I know, I know, that's ARTICHOKES...)

Thanks for all the great advice about how to avoid posters who disguise their identity and sneakily insinuate themselves into fora, say, pretending to be something they're not, for example, sympathetic to victims of mind control/ra by telling sob stories about their wife who has DID, possibly (gasp!) herself a victim of ra... Or, you know, pretending to be leftists and humanitarians, so as to introduce their Zionist agitprop about Islamofascists under every bed and Nazis behind every corner, with poor Israel standing alone against this terrible menace...

The Onion has called attention to his own artifice. Others are not so considerate.

Cough! Cough! You can call it considerate. I call it BUSTED. You can save your patronizing prattle for anybody likely to be fooled by the likes of you. That's nobody here, as far as I can tell. It didn't work for "Dream's End", who crawled off, licking his wounds and sniffing about how "depressing" this board has become, only to reappear in a silly and even more transparent "disguise". Pathetic.

I first smelled a rat when you went after Havanagilla, pushing and pushing her to admit that she had threatened suicide, practically daring her to do it. If you do indeed have a wife, and she is indeed emotionally and mentally fragile, I pity her from the bottom of my heart. God help her, and anybody else who (unlike anybody here) doesn't recognize you for the seriously disturbed, predatory, squirrel you are.

You can come back as the Easter Bunny next time, and you'll still be transparent as glass.

Go away. Let the grownups talk about serious things, now. OK?
AlicetheKurious

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:52 pm

Lead us, Oh Great And Venerable Onion!

MASONIC PLOT

PreviousNext

Return to FIRE PIT