The Fire Pit is Interesting

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Doodad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:59 pm

chlamor wrote:
- Edward Said

Edward Said is the worst fraud in academia in centuries. His tautologies make the red brown alliance droll but fool no one but them and their fellow travelers.
Doodad

Postby H_C_E » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Get thee behind me (to the Fire Pit) with this thread unholy!
Abdul, wax the beach with postal regret portions. Nevermind the o-ring leader he got not the cheese duster from the dachshund dimension or even pillow frighteners.
H_C_E

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby erosoplier » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:06 pm

Jeff wrote:Any serious objection to fire-pitting this one?

Yes - I think Doodad deserves every opportunity to identify for us the canards (what a lovely word - I could keep saying it 'til my tongue goes numb) and yapping propaganda in the postings of those who oppose his view.

BTW:

...since I know full well that the current accepted leaders are former terrorists who have come to the table.

Doodad, are you talking about Israeli leaders, Palestinian leaders, or both, here?
erosoplier

Postby Doodad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:06 pm

H_C_E wrote:Get thee behind me (to the Fire Pit) with this thread unholy!

Guess I'll have to work fast.

:twisted:
Doodad

Postby Doodad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:11 pm

erosoplier wrote:

Yes - I think Doodad deserves every opportunity to identify for us the canards (what a lovely word - I could keep saying it 'til my tongue goes numb) and yapping propaganda in the postings of those who oppose his view.

BTW:

...since I know full well that the current accepted leaders are former terrorists who have come to the table.

Doodad, are you talking about Israeli leaders, Palestinian leaders, or both, here?

In the context of the post, the Pals of course. That isn't to say that I wouldn't consider calling some of Israel's acts terrorism as well when innocent civilians were deliberately targeted. You have to remember though that the Pals don't consider any Israelis innocent because they all grow up to serve in the army. therefore women and children are fair game.
Doodad

Postby erosoplier » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:25 pm

Doodad wrote: You have to remember though that the Pals don't consider any Israelis innocent because they all grow up to serve in the army. therefore women and children are fair game.

Does the Palestinian death toll indicate to you that the Israelis, conversely, don't think that women and children are fair game?
erosoplier

Postby Doodad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:32 pm

erosoplier wrote:
Doodad wrote: You have to remember though that the Pals don't consider any Israelis innocent because they all grow up to serve in the army. therefore women and children are fair game.

Does the Palestinian death toll indicate to you that the Israelis, conversely, don't think that women and children are fair game?

The former I can believe because the Pals have actually said it publicly. The latter is harder because Israel claims to take pains to avoid civilian deaths and offers proof at times. Could they be lying? Of course.
Doodad

Postby chlamor » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:33 pm

If I could, then I would be wont to suggest Palestine should not get a full fledged state because it is run by terrorists. Instead of that canard, I would argue that until its leaders prove they can control terrorism, occupation and negotiation must continue. Some could then disagree with me but at least I wouldn't be engaging in stereotypical accusations since I know full well that the current accepted leaders are former terrorists who have come to the table.

Wow this is just breathtaking. This is blatant racism.

That is very ugly.

"Yes, we are the nation of progress, of individual freedom, of universal enfranchisement. Equality of rights is the cynosure of our union of States, the grand exemplar of the correlative equality of individuals; and while truth sheds its effulgence, we cannot retrograde, without dissolving the one and subverting the other. We must onward to the fulfilment of our mission -- to the entire development of the principle of our organization -- freedom of conscience, freedom of person, freedom of trade and business pursuits, universality of freedom and equality. This is our high destiny, and in nature's eternal, inevitable decree of cause and effect we must accomplish it. All this will be our future history, to establish on earth the moral dignity and salvation of man -- the immutable truth and beneficence of God. For this blessed mission to the nations of the world, which are shut out from the life-giving light of truth, has America been chosen; and her high example shall smite unto death the tyranny of kings, hierarchs, and oligarchs, and carry the glad tidings of peace and good will where myriads now endure an existence scarcely more enviable than that of beasts of the field. Who, then, can doubt that our country is destined to be the great nation of futurity?"

It's all connected.

Liberal thy name is hypocrisy. What's new?
chlamor

Postby Doodad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:35 pm

chlamor wrote:
If I could, then I would be wont to suggest Palestine should not get a full fledged state because it is run by terrorists. Instead of that canard, I would argue that until its leaders prove they can control terrorism, occupation and negotiation must continue. Some could then disagree with me but at least I wouldn't be engaging in stereotypical accusations since I know full well that the current accepted leaders are former terrorists who have come to the table.

Wow this is just breathtaking. This is blatant racism.

That is very ugly.

Why do you hate reading comprehension so much. What did it ever do to you?

:roll:
Doodad

Postby sunny » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:41 pm

canard An unfounded or false, deliberately misleading story.

Israel is the target of at least 65 UN Resolutions and the Palestinians are the target of none.

Aside from the core issues—refugees, Jerusalem, borders—the major themes reflected in the U.N. resolutions against Israel over the years are its unlawful attacks on its neighbors; its violations of the human rights of the Palestinians, including deportations, demolitions of homes and other collective punishments; its confiscation of Palestinian land; its establishment of illegal settlements; and its refusal to abide by the U.N. Charter and the 1949 Fourth Geneva Convention Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War.
- Donald Neff

UN Resolutions Against Israel, 1955-1992
Resolution 106: "...‘condemns’ Israel for Gaza raid"
Resolution 111: "...‘condemns’ Israel for raid on Syria that killed fifty-six people"
Resolution 127: "...‘recommends’ Israel suspend its ‘no-man’s zone’ in Jerusalem"
Resolution 162: "...‘urges’ Israel to comply with UN decisions"
Resolution 171: "...determines flagrant violations’ by Israel in its attack on Syria"
Resolution 228: "...‘censures’ Israel for its attack on Samu in the West Bank, then under Jordanian control"
Resolution 237: "...‘urges’ Israel to allow return of new 1967 Palestinian refugees"
Resolution 248: "...‘condemns’ Israel for its massive attack on Karameh in Jordan"
Resolution 250: "...‘calls’ on Israel to refrain from holding military parade in Jerusalem"
Resolution 251: "...‘deeply deplores’ Israeli military parade in Jerusalem in defiance of Resolution 250"
Resolution 252: "...‘declares invalid’ Israel’s acts to unify Jerusalem as Jewish capital"
Resolution 256: "...‘condemns’ Israeli raids on Jordan as ‘flagrant violation"
Resolution 259: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to accept UN mission to probe occupation"
Resolution 262: "...‘condemns’ Israel for attack on Beirut airport"
Resolution 265: "...‘condemns’ Israel for air attacks for Salt in Jordan"
Resolution 267: "...‘censures’ Israel for administrative acts to change the status of Jerusalem"
Resolution 270: "...‘condemns’ Israel for air attacks on villages in southern Lebanon"
Resolution 271: "...‘condemns’ Israel’s failure to obey UN resolutions on Jerusalem"
Resolution 279: "...‘demands’ withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanon"
Resolution 280: "....‘condemns’ Israeli’s attacks against Lebanon"
Resolution 285: "...‘demands’ immediate Israeli withdrawal form Lebanon"
Resolution 298: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s changing of the status of Jerusalem"
Resolution 313: "...‘demands’ that Israel stop attacks against Lebanon"
Resolution 316: "...‘condemns’ Israel for repeated attacks on Lebanon"
Resolution 317: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to release Arabs abducted in Lebanon"
Resolution 332: "...‘condemns’ Israel’s repeated attacks against Lebanon"
Resolution 337: "...‘condemns’ Israel for violating Lebanon’s sovereignty"
Resolution 347: "...‘condemns’ Israeli attacks on Lebanon"
Resolution 425: "...‘calls’ on Israel to withdraw its forces from Lebanon"
Resolution 427: "...‘calls’ on Israel to complete its withdrawal from Lebanon’
Resolution 444: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s lack of cooperation with UN peacekeeping forces"
Resolution 446: "...‘determines’ that Israeli settlements are a ‘serious obstruction’ to peace and calls on Israel to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention"
Resolution 450: "...‘calls’ on Israel to stop attacking Lebanon"
Resolution 452: "...‘calls’ on Israel to cease building settlements in occupied territories"
Resolution 465: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s settlements and asks all member states not to assist Israel’s settlements program"
Resolution 467: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s military intervention in Lebanon"
Resolution 468: "...‘calls’ on Israel to rescind illegal expulsions of two Palestinian mayors and a judge and to facilitate their return"
Resolution 469: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s failure to observe the council’s order not to deport Palestinians"
Resolution 471: "...‘expresses deep concern’ at Israel’s failure to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention"
Resolution 476: "...‘reiterates’ that Israel’s claims to Jerusalem are ‘null and void’
Resolution 478: "...‘censures (Israel) in the strongest terms’ for its claim to Jerusalem in its ‘Basic Law’
Resolution 484: "...‘declares it imperative’ that Israel re-admit two deported Palestinian mayors"
Resolution 487: "...‘strongly condemns’ Israel for its attack on Iraq’s nuclear facility"
Resolution 497: "...‘decides’ that Israel’s annexation of Syria’s Golan Heights is ‘null and void’ and demands that Israel rescind its decision forthwith"
Resolution 498: "...‘calls’ on Israel to withdraw from Lebanon"
Resolution 501: "...‘calls’ on Israel to stop attacks against Lebanon and withdraw its troops"
Resolution 509: "...‘demands’ that Israel withdraw its forces forthwith and unconditionally from Lebanon"
Resolution 515: "...‘demands’ that Israel lift its siege of Beirut and allow food supplies to be brought in"
Resolution 517: "...‘censures’ Israel for failing to obey UN resolutions and demands that Israel withdraw its forces from Lebanon"
Resolution 518: "...‘demands’ that Israel cooperate fully with UN forces in Lebanon"
Resolution 520: "...‘condemns’ Israel’s attack into West Beirut"
Resolution 573: "...‘condemns’ Israel ‘vigorously’ for bombing Tunisia in attack on PLO headquarters
Resolution 587: "...‘takes note’ of previous calls on Israel to withdraw its forces from Lebanon and urges all parties to withdraw"
Resolution 592: "...‘strongly deplores’ the killing of Palestinian students at Bir Zeit University by Israeli troops"
Resolution 605: "...‘strongly deplores’ Israel’s policies and practices denying the human rights of Palestinians
Resolution 607: "...‘calls’ on Israel not to deport Palestinians and strongly requests it to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention
Resolution 608: "...‘deeply regrets’ that Israel has defied the United Nations and deported Palestinian civilians"
Resolution 636: "...‘deeply regrets’ Israeli deportation of Palestinian civilians
Resolution 641: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s continuing deportation of Palestinians
Resolution 672: "...‘condemns’ Israel for violence against Palestinians at the Haram al-Sharif/Temple Mount
Resolution 673: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s refusal to cooperate with the United Nations
Resolution 681: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s resumption of the deportation of Palestinians
Resolution 694: "...‘deplores’ Israel’s deportation of Palestinians and calls on it to ensure their safe and immediate return
Resolution 726: "...‘strongly condemns’ Israel’s deportation of Palestinians
Resolution 799: "...‘strongly condemns’ Israel’s deportation of 413 Palestinians and calls for their immediate return.

Edward Said is the worst fraud in academia in centuries. His tautologies make the red brown alliance droll but fool no one but them and their fellow travelers.

ad hominem- character assassination
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: attack someone's reputation
Synonyms: ad hominem, blackening, dirty politics, dirty pool, dirty tricks, hatchet job, muckraking, mudslinging, name-calling, personal attack, slanderous attack, smear, smear campaign

BTW, thank you Jeff for your kind words of support.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Doodad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:15 pm

sunny wrote:canard An unfounded or false, deliberately misleading story.

Israel is the target of at least 65 UN Resolutions and the Palestinians are the target of none.

Oh well, that must make it so mustn't it? There couldn't be any other reason like the fact that Palestine can not have resolutions issued against it because they do not have member status.

Come on sunny. You are obviously a nice person. Too nice to be so gullible.

You may also want to investigate the times when ad hominem is not a logical fallacy.
Doodad

Postby theeKultleeder » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:22 pm

Well, it's gonna come up again. I can't understand why people are so immovable on this issue. Jeff, I wish you would come out and spank people more often for an ongoing modus operandi of personal attacks and other fallacies. One small sentence of yours speaks so much sanity, if only people would listen.

There is information, and there is noise. Perhaps that could be your fire pit standard.

As for me, I personally apologize for dredging this up. But I realized just a half hour ago that if this gets fire-pitted, I will have started a thread entitled "The Fire Pit is Interesting." How cool is that!
theeKultleeder

Postby erosoplier » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Oops, I was thinking this was the "27 quotes" thread - and Alice's most recent post was still fresh in my mind - when I objected to it being fire-pitted.

There will be other threads, I'm sure.

Won't mind too much if this one goes.
erosoplier

Postby theeKultleeder » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:45 pm

Doodad wrote:You have to remember though that the Pals don't consider any Israelis innocent because they all grow up to serve in the army. therefore women and children are fair game.

That is a legitimate philosophical point. Don't you think forced military service is sick? Sick meaning unhealthy?

BTW, the orthodox are allowed to avoid military training/conditioning.
theeKultleeder

Postby sunny » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:55 pm

logical fallacy-an inaccurate or intentionally misleading misapplication of logic.

Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to FIRE PIT