CPU quota errors

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

CPU quota errors

Postby orz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:16 pm

I very often get the error saying the messageboard has exceeded its CPU quota... I think something must be pretty badly wrong, no way that should ever happen from just a messageboard. Maybe some process is running repeatedly which shouldn't be? Maybe a virus or something? I don't know much about these things but I think something definitely wants fixing/reinstalling.
orz

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby philipacentaur » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Yes, I agree that this shouldn't be happening, especially considering the stats:
Most users ever online was 58 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:22 am

Given that information, it would seem that the "CPU" quota is just a general resource metric they're using, so I think that bandwidth is probably figured in there as well -- though I have no way of knowing. This host doesn't seem to be very good.

The background should definitely be tiled using a smaller image -- like the top two rows. That thing is 153.41 KB! I know it's cached, but that doesn't matter at a place like this that probably get a ton of unique hits from visitors. Just one factor.
philipacentaur

Postby orz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Well, CPU would be the amount of computing power being used, not bandwidth... implying that some part of the messageboard software is doing a lot more thinking work than it's supposed to.
orz

Postby orz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:27 pm

Maybe it's becoming self-aware! :D
orz

Postby philipacentaur » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:39 pm

orz wrote:Well, CPU would be the amount of computing power being used, not bandwidth... implying that some part of the messageboard software is doing a lot more thinking work than it's supposed to.

Yes, I'm well-versed in what the term "CPU" means in this context -- I was suggesting that this is a "generic" error message, since I have not seen one explicitly stating an overusage of "bandwidth". This software isn't exactly known to be efficient as far as of CPU usage, so I don't have a hard time believing that it could be hitting the upper limit of a (seemingly tiny) quota. If that's the case, it would be easy for someone who knows what they're doing to benchmark exactly where the CPU time is being spent (with a little PHP) and addressed accordingly.

My simple analysis of the problem: An inadequate web host/hosting "package". I've seen less problems on extremely low-cost hosts (ie. phpwebhosting ~ten bucks (US) per month) running PHPbb under a MUCH higher load. In my opionion, if Jeff is paying per month for this, he should transfer the site elsewhere as soon as possible.

(edit: correction - phpwebhosting is ten dollars a month, not twenty)
Last edited by philipacentaur on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philipacentaur

Postby orz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Yeah, most likely so...
orz

Postby philipacentaur » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:39 pm

If you are the webmaster, your account may have exceeded for one or more of the following reasons:

* Your site has used more than 20% of the cpu.
* Your account has too many processes running at the same time.
* Your site was consuming too many resources. This happens on occassion to very busy sites that have inefficient scripts running.

There's the actual message (I just got it again). The last line is the catch-all. This is hosted at "bluehost"? Seven bucks a month is cheap, but if this is the type of performance that's typical, it would seem to be "worth every penny".
philipacentaur

Postby gwynlaredogranger » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:17 pm

Indeed.
gwynlaredogranger

Postby yesferatu » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:38 pm

I don't know if it is happening more often...but it seems to be.

Twice today.
yesferatu

Postby HMKGrey » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:58 pm

Happens to me all the bloody time.
HMKGrey

oops

Postby AnnaLivia » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:22 pm

oops, pardon
Last edited by AnnaLivia on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnaLivia

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:08 am

It's a function of the forum software on the host server. While it may not be a bandwidth issue, it's analgous to it in the sense that when RI's alloted CPU to the web server hits an upper limit it's the same as if bandwith limits are hit.

Those that feel Jeff has an insufficient host are encouraged to assist in the funds neccessary to establish an upgrade to a heavier package. That I was unable to solicit members last year to match my offer of meeting half the price for professional forum software tells me it's far more conveniant to complain about such things than do something worthwhile to affect a solution.
Last edited by Et in Arcadia ego on Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby chiggerbit » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Is there a PO box yet? I don't do PayPal.
chiggerbit

Postby orz » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:50 pm

I still think the host's fine and there's a bit of bad script or something overtaxing the server... I've never seen this error on any other board regardless of how cheap the service provider..
orz

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:04 pm

orz wrote:I've never seen this error on any other board regardless of how cheap the service provider..

Same here. This should be something that might be fixed with a note to the web server compny. I'd still enjoy seeing an ultra sexy pro forum here.

:D
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Next

Return to Ask Admin [old version/not in use]