Login/Cookie problems

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Login/Cookie problems

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:26 pm

If any of you are experiencing difficulties logging in, staying logged in, or other cookie related problems, please detail for me in this thread exactly what is happening so I have consolidated info to provide in my support request with the phpbb developers.
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Login/Cookie problems

Postby Sweejak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Hey, I just noticed that when I hit submit under Quick Reply it takes me to the more advanced reply and I have to press submit again.

Edit: Nevermind, must have been my mistake.
Sweejak

Postby Sweejak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 pm

Reposting from other thread:

I'm almost tearing up because e-mail notification works, seems to so far anyway! But I notice on a Mac running Safari that the cookie which logs you in doesn't seem very sticky because it doesn't automatically log you in when you come here from an email and you have to log in all over again. If you shut the window and try to come back you have to log in again. Another side effect, or perhaps a hint as to what is going on is that on a Mac when one logs in for the first time the machine pops up a window which asks if you want to save this login info and if you do say yes it does and stores it in your keychain. That isn't happening. It could be my cookie settings which don't allow 3rd parties to install cookies.
Sweejak

Postby DoYouEverWonder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Yep, it won't let me stay logged in, even when I check the box.

:shrug:

It use to happen on the old site, but I think it was a blocked cookie.
DoYouEverWonder

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Sweejak wrote:Hey, I just noticed that when I hit submit under Quick Reply it takes me to the more advanced reply and I have to press submit again.

Edit: Nevermind, must have been my mistake.

Quick Reply has two buttons, 'submit' and 'advanced/full editor'. I do that a lot myself, hitting the wrong one.

While I'm here, I also noticed I have this cookie problem in a vbullitin forum, so this is definitely NOT something exclusive to the new forum version. Seems like the way cookies are handled has changed all over the place the last month or so. Maybe its some kind of new security feature, I dunno..

I'm not able to automatically log in to any forum I'm a member of, or basically use any cookies to auto log on paypal, ebay, or anything else for that matter..

:offair:
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Sweejak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:37 pm

This is the only forum I'm having problems with. Banks and stuff I have to "physically" press the log in button. Sometimes User and Pass is auto filled but not always. I'm running Safari, reputedly one of the most standards compliant browsers but I don't know.

If it is a forum that I have not gone to for a long time I often have to press the log in button. Most forums are PHPBB forums though I have no idea what add ons and mods they've used.
Sweejak

Postby luv2dive » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 pm

I also am unable to remain logged in, even when checking the box.

I access from two computers (home/work) and never had a problem automatically logging in on
the old board.

I am running XP Pro on IBM and an HP.

Hope you can figure it out... it is rather annoying to have to constantly log in.

Thanks for all your work. I like the new board, and find the default look easy on the old eyes! Glad to no longer have to see demon bush anymore too! Life is hard enough without having to look at that ugly mug.
luv2dive

Postby Sweejak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Hey, what did you do Arcadia? I just clicked on the link in my email and it took me to the latest reply.
Sweejak

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Sweejak wrote:Hey, what did you do Arcadia?

I haven't done anything! I haven't even logged into the admin control panel since I've been at work all evening.

I don't follow you here, what email are you talking about?

Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Sweejak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:13 pm

Crap, now it's back to the same old. My imagination?
The email I'm talking about it the email notification I get sent to me from topics that I subscribe to.
Sweejak

Postby Sweejak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Here is a sample of the email:
Hello Sweejak,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Login/Cookie problems" at "rigorousintuition.ca". This topic has received
a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the
replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26554&p=310117&e=310117

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26554

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
viewforum.php?f=37

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the
"Unsubscribe topic" link found at the bottom of the topic above, or by
clicking the following link:

viewtopic.php?uid=63&f=37&t=26554&unwatch=topic

--
Thanks, The Management

And it was either a fluke or something I can't repeat that made me think it was solved.
Sweejak

Postby Maddy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:18 pm

At first it didn't keep me logged in, despite checking the box, when I'd go to post, or when I'd leave and return to forums. Now it keeps me logged in to post, but if I leave forums it logs me out. I deleted cookies, as per suggestion, and it only seemed to fix the keeping me logged in to post part of the issue. I still log out when I leave and return to forums.
Be kind - it costs nothing. ~ Maddy ~
Maddy

Postby Sweejak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 pm

This may be helpful for diagnosis. I have one page of the forum opened and I just got a notification of Maddy's reply in my mailbox. I clicked it and had to log in all over again to see her reply even though I was obviously already logged into the forum because the other page was up.
Sweejak

Postby Sweejak » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:35 am

FWIW, I trashed all my RI cookies, logged out and then logged in again. Then I went to search for new cookies and there were no new RI cookies. Cookies security setting was at "Accept cookies only from sites you visit". I tried again with cookies set to accept cookies "Always" and still no new cookie. This is assuming all RI cookies in my cookie search had the word "rigorous" in them.
Sweejak

Postby Sweejak » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 am

I've done the same with Firefox. So it seems no new cookies are being accepted in either Firefox or Safari.
Sweejak

Next

Return to Ask Admin [old version/not in use]