Post Comments 'Timed Out' & LOST?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Post Comments 'Timed Out' & LOST?

Postby StarmanSkye » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Over the last several days, I've found an extremely annoying problem with having my posts 'disappeared' when I send them, getting a 'Request timed out' error-message instead. It doesn't matter if I write a short-quick message in 2 minutes or something I labour-over for 20 minutes or more. The only way I can post is if I immediately copy my reply before I try to send it, and then return to 'post' page with my pasted-reply to post. As I'm still not in the habit of remembering to back-up copy my replies before I hit 'Post', I've LOST several fairly-detailed comments that I simply didn't have the energy or enthusiasm to rewrite.

As you can imagine, its VERY frustrating!

Any idea what's up with that? Has anyone else had similiar problem?

I've never had this happen before, just started within the last 5 days or so.

It'll prob be a while before I consistently remember to back-up my replies to avoid the aggravation.

HelP!?
StarmanSkye

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Post Comments 'Timed Out' & LOST?

Postby Jeff » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the report, I'm sorry to hear you're having a problem. I haven't encountered it myself (though it was an occasional issue in years past), but I'd like to hear if others have.

I don't know offhand what the cause might be. I'll look into it.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I've gotten some "Request timed out" messages recently for the first time, but the message is still there if I back up, and then I can submit again with normal results. However, I've learned to always do Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C just before Submit.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:03 am

As a temporary alternative you could write your posts in notepad and then copy-paste.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby barracuda » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:49 am

All kinds of problems with the forum for the last two days: SQL errors, slow load times, unexpected sign outs, and weirdest of all, it no longer shows threads as having been read - the link stays colored no matter how many times I visit it.
barracuda

Postby Allegro » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:18 am

Early this morning, after clicking on several unread messages on the front page, there was no action although my browser showed it was working to get in. Exasperated, I logged out to read posts. Logged back in, and still couldn't get off the front page.

It's still slow, right now, this morning. It took 32 seconds for this text window to show. Yep, it's just like me to finally pull out the stop watch.
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby Jeff » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:54 am

Sorry for the frustrations. Last night was a rough one.

[on edit:] And this morning doesn't look much better.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby justdrew » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm

so this should be over now. We're running better and the web server slowness shouldn't cause those timeouts anymore.

Nothing we can reasonably do can 100% prevent that, if a thousand people all decided to refresh us at the same time, there's going to be some timeouts. but NORMALLY that's doesn't happen and is highly unlikely. The old web host was slower and much busier. Now we're on our own host, not shared. Should be much better.

Note: if that posting issue happens, you SHOULD always be able to hit your browsers back button and return to the posting form, which should have all your text in it. I'm not 100% this happens in IE, but firefox or chrome should be good.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Return to Ask Admin [old version/not in use]