Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Moderators: DrVolin, 82_28, Elvis, Jeff

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby compared2what? » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:46 am

lupercal wrote:Incidentally, why isn't c2w hounding barracuda about his libelous assertions? C2w, perhaps can you explain this? :shrug:


As per your request, via PM, yes. I can. But I don't want to bicker with you, you know that.

First of all, I'm not hounding you. So please unrevise your revisionist history and replace it with what happened, which is this:

I devoted one whole sentence to saying that the Rodia piece was libel on the Sandy Hook thread here.

And if that plus the three or four sentence fragments of reiteration I added in the brief exchange with you that followed had been the entirety of what I had to say about the subject in connection with you for all eternity, I would have been content.

Because I have no interest in hounding you.

The only reason the subject came up again was because you popped up on the Anderson Cooper thread here, accusing me of making threats and attempting to stifle serious discussion and/or hard questions.

That appeared to me to be a reference to the exchange we'd already had, inasmuch as you also seemed then to have failed to grasp that I wasn't threatening you, but rather telling you something I thought it would benefit you to know.

So I took another shot at it.

_____________________

SHORTER VERSION: You're hounding yourself, dude.

____________________

I'll answer your question in a separate post.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
User avatar
compared2what?
 
Posts: 8383
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby lupercal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:48 am

Let's get this straight barracuda. On page 16 of the Sandy Hook thread, link here:

Subject: Connecticut Elementary School Massacre

you, barracuda, wrote the following, bolding mine:

barracuda wrote: I'm guessing this is the culprit, also published on the 14th:

Chris Manfredonia, whose 6-year-old daughter attends the school, was heading there Friday morning to help make gingerbread houses with first-graders when he heard popping sounds and smelled sulfur.

He ran around the school trying to reach his daughter and was briefly handcuffed by police. He later found his child, who had been locked in a small room with a teacher.


You called Sandy Hook parent Chris Manfredonia "the culprit." I made no such claims about Manfredonia or local Rodia, whose mugshot and rapsheet incidently were published last July in a Hearst paper, along with an announcement of his arrest for petty theft.

barracuda wrote:Context is everything, my friend.


Yes it is, and in this context, the only libelous cliam here is your assertion that Sandy Hook parent Chris Manfredonia "is the culprit."
User avatar
lupercal
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby barracuda » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 am

He was indeed the culprit of the Business Insider snippet - he was the man police handcuffed and lead out of the woods. There was no second shooter or accomplice, something I made clear time and again. Your problem is this statement:

lupercal wrote:"the car driven by Connecticut school shooter Adam Lanza" -- is registered to local criminal Christopher Rodia


Which is unequivocal. And you still haven't foresworn it.
User avatar
barracuda
 
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 pm
Location: Niles, California
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby lupercal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:05 am

"Culprit" means person who commits a crime. And by claiming Sandy Hook parent Manfredonia "is the culprit," you accused him of the Sandy Hook crime. I'm sorry barracuda, but I see no other way to read your words.

And may I say, for shame, to treat a poor innocent man that way, and a father too. Heartless beast. How can you live with yourself? I"m only saying this for your own good, but you should consider sepaku immediately and cleanse this board from the shame of your sick mind.

But I digress. There's nothing libelous about "local criminal" because I was re-posting a police mugshot and crime report directly from a Hearst paper. If there's libel, it's Hearst's, not mine. And when you actually look up that license plate number get back to me with the record. Meanwhile, according to the police broadcast I listened to, the car in question is registered to Rodia.
User avatar
lupercal
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby barracuda » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 am

Listen, man, do what you need to to make yourself feel better. Or tell me how I can help make that happen. But I don't think the "local criminal" part of your statement is the issue. It's the fact that you insisted and continued to insist that Rodia was the registered owner of the car.

lupercal wrote:"Culprit" means person who commits a crime.


Not necessarily.
User avatar
barracuda
 
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 pm
Location: Niles, California
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby lupercal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 am

Repeating, because you don't seem to want to hear it:

lupercal wrote: And when you actually look up that license plate number get back to me with the record. Meanwhile, according to the police broadcast I listened to, the car in question is registered to Rodia.


p.s. c2w, I was replying to the rather lengthy and completely unsolicited email you sent this morning, and only as a courtesy. I should have known you'd twist it into something it wasn't.
Last edited by lupercal on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
lupercal
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby barracuda » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 am

Why would I want to do that? I already posted the article exonerating Rodia, including the statement by Greenwich Detective Vincent O'Banner that he was nowhere near the scene of the crime.

You're bickering, btw.
User avatar
barracuda
 
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 pm
Location: Niles, California
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby lupercal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:17 am

What I asked for was the record for that license plate.
User avatar
lupercal
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby barracuda » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 am

Why would I need that? You accused Rodia, not me. If you want to be sure you're right about things you say in public about people, do the research. That's how you avoid this crap in the first place. It's common sense.

Bickerer.
User avatar
barracuda
 
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 pm
Location: Niles, California
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby lupercal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:26 am

You can call it bickering when you've been shown to be a prevaricating hypocrite, but I'd like the record be clear: according to the CT police broadcast I posted, the black Honda Civic is registered to Rodia, and to my knowledge, no contradictory record has been produced. If you want to look it up, fine. I invited you to do just that a month ago but by all means do it now.
User avatar
lupercal
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby compared2what? » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 am

lupercal wrote:
barracuda wrote:
lupercal wrote:And from a 12/14 article:

Following the shooting, Police were "questioning a handcuffed suspect in connection with the Newtown school shooting," the Connecticut Post tweeted. A witness told Jany that a man "was led out of the woods by police in handcuffs."

http://www.businessinsider.com/sandy-ho ... an-2012-12


I'm guessing this is the culprit, also published on the 14th:

Chris Manfredonia, whose 6-year-old daughter attends the school, was heading there Friday morning to help make gingerbread houses with first-graders when he heard popping sounds and smelled sulfur.

He ran around the school trying to reach his daughter and was briefly handcuffed by police. He later found his child, who had been locked in a small room with a teacher.



Incidentally, why isn't c2w hounding barracuda about his libelous assertions? C2w, perhaps can you explain this? :shrug:


Easily:

Because it's not libelous to assert that someone was heading to Sandy Hook Elementary School on the morning of the shooting to help make gingerbread houses with first-graders when he heard popping sounds and smelled sulfur, following which he ran around the school trying to reach his daughter and was briefly handcuffed by police, then later found his child, who had been locked in a small room with a teacher.

The word "culprit", by itself isn't libelous, when -- for example -- no reasonable reader could possibly imagine that it meant anything more than "the guy you're thinking of" or "the guy you're referring to,"

I don't actually think any word is. But I don't know. I've never considered the question.

______________________________

What made the Rodia piece you posted different, you may be wondering?

Well. By asserting that he's tied to both the car and (via the merging of his identity with Manfredonia's) to the scene while linking to your own post stating...

lupercal wrote:Whatever this was, it wasn't an unintended spree, you can rest assured of that


....as well as to the Spitfirelist post, which begins...

In our last post on this tragic topic, we addressed the pos­si­bil­ity that the New­town, CT shooter had help. In par­tic­u­lar, the ques­tion of the iden­tity and poten­tial involve­ment of a man in “camo pants” and a dark jacket that was taken into the cus­tody. Another local report stated that police took a man into cus­tody that was seen leav­ing the school in order to deter­mine of he had any role in the shoot­ing or was just coin­ci­den­tally walk­ing into the school at the same time.


...you're clearly suggesting he was involved in the shooting. And no reasonable reader would think anything else. Because there's no other possible interpretation. That's what you meant.

Therefore, as I wrote to you this morning, wrt the Spitfirelist post::

The article is libel per se, meaning: "No matter what, it's libelous, including if it's true." Because you're implicating him in a felony on less of a basis than you'd need to have to make that non-actionable by a factor of approximately infinity. So even if it were right, you would have been acting with reckless disregard for the truth while saying something highly defamatory.


But just forget that. Never mind whether it was libel. Because as I also wrote to you this morning...

"lupercal wrote: Oh baloney. Per advanced search, your first mention of Ryan Lanza was on page 19 of this thread, in a completely unrelated context, and your first mention in this context was last Tuesday, Jan. 22, in response to concerns raised by Mac, and surprise, you're defending "LE" and NBC, not they guy they slimed:




If you can understand why LE and NBC were sliming Ryan Lanza when they rushed to publicly name him as a suspect for no better reason than that they stumbled across his name in close proximity to the event, you should be able to understand why that's what it is when you and Spitfirelist do it to Rodia. Because it's exactly the same. And it exposed him to exactly the same shit that LE/NBC exposed Ryan Lanza to.


....it was also just a slimy fucking thing to do.

And I know that you're better than that.

I guess I'll reply as required if this keeps going on and on and on. But I really hope it doesn't And personally, I have nothing more to say about it. I just wanted to make the point for the reasons I've already given. That's it.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
User avatar
compared2what?
 
Posts: 8383
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby barracuda » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 am

lupercal wrote:You can call it bickering when you've been shown to be a prevaricating hypocrite, but I'd like the record be clear: according to the CT police broadcast I posted, the black Honda Civic is registered to Rodia, and to my knowledge, no contradictory record has been produced. If you want to look it up, fine. I invited you to do just that a month ago but by all means do it now.


Wow. You did it again. That's not exceedingly smart, if you ask me.
User avatar
barracuda
 
Posts: 12887
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:58 pm
Location: Niles, California
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby lupercal » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 am

C2w, barracuda called parent Manfredonia "the culprit." I called Rodia a "local criminal," which according to Hearst paper Westport News, based on a local police report, he is. And if you have to stoop to lengthily quoting 3rd-party material I never posted to smear me you lost your case some time ago. But the fact is, neither of you ever had a case, just the usual pack of lies.
User avatar
lupercal
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby compared2what? » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 am

barracuda wrote:
lupercal wrote:You can call it bickering when you've been shown to be a prevaricating hypocrite, but I'd like the record be clear: according to the CT police broadcast I posted, the black Honda Civic is registered to Rodia, and to my knowledge, no contradictory record has been produced. If you want to look it up, fine. I invited you to do just that a month ago but by all means do it now.


Wow. You did it again. That's not exceedingly smart, if you ask me.


Makes good drama. Or maybe triggers it. But I hope not. I wouldn't want to be the patsy.

I guess I'd survive, though.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
User avatar
compared2what?
 
Posts: 8383
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another false claim that I would like to set straight:

Postby compared2what? » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:35 am

lupercal wrote:C2w, barracuda called parent Manfredonia "the culprit." I called Rodia a "local criminal," which according to Hearst paper Westport News, based on a local police report, he is. And if you have to stoop to lengthily quoting 3rd-party material I never posted to smear me you lost your case some time ago. But the fact is, neither of you ever had a case, just the usual pack of lies.


Have it your way. I regret the misunderstanding.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
User avatar
compared2what?
 
Posts: 8383
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

PreviousNext

Return to Ask Admin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests