Newbie Question

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Newbie Question

Postby radagast_the_brown » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Hi Jeff, I've been reading your blog for a while, thought I might jump in here.

Can you tell me what kind of stuff the forums called "data dump" "fire pit" and "lounge" are intended for? Thanks
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.
J.R.R. Tolkien
radagast_the_brown

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jeff » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:56 pm

Sure. (I guess I should define those terms better.)

"Data Dump" is intended for depositing or pooling research, rather than inviting conversation. Though sometimes the distinction is fine or negligible.

"Fire Pit" is where flame wars or threads which violate the posting guidelines end up. It remains locked.

"Lounge" is for off-topic and generally lighter-hearted posts.

Glad you joined. (Radagast was always my favourite wizard.)
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Gouda » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:45 am

Just a note to our 'mazin admins:

Noticed today that spam is starting to get itself posted in archive subject indexes. 2 for example at "Deep Politics" ...
Gouda

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:52 am

Deleted, and IP logged for banning.

abtrunre1 & Gorodoya11 have the same IP address, so buh-bye..
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

SPAM

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:00 pm

Well spotted Gouda. As you've probably noticed et in Arcadia ego (I call him A, he doesn't seem to mind) has taken on some of the burden of minor duties here. As he's probably nursing a stinking hangover just now it may take a while for him to delete spam. We could make his task easier by reporting any new occurences here. I've just had a quick look through the archives and can't find any more, though there's still a few in General discussion.

I'm sure the spam problem will be taken care of soon, but in the meantime could all members have a quick browse through the archives? Look out for threads started by new members or names you don't recognise, check their posts and report spam to Jeff or A here or elsewhere in Admin. Or howsabout a SPAM ALERT thread?

May I also suggest that new members have a good look through the archive before starting new threads. You'll often find it's all been said before, and much more eloquently.

Let's not let RI be drowned in unsolicited soliciting.

Fight the Power
Seamus OBlimey

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:50 pm

I got this, brb..

ok, here ya go:

REPORT SPAM HERE

Cheers,
D
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby suzieseller » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:04 am

Hi I'm looking for an old topic that was actually moved to another location and now that I am finally on board I seem to have lost the thread and have looked for a few hours but can't find it. The subject was regarding Jimmy Hughes and some information was being asked regarding desertfae, whose father was murdered by this Jimmy Hughes along with 2 other people he also murdered that day back in 1981. He was finally arrested Oct 2, 2009 in Florida and is awaiting extradition to California for trial. I have some other updates to add and know I read it on two seperate threads if you can direct me. Also do I have the time zone correct for PST? Never seen those abbreviations either?? Is there a legend somewhere I haven't found yet?
Thanks for your guidance! :D
suzieseller

Postby Jeff » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 am

Jeff
Site Admin

Return to Ask Admin [old version/not in use]