Barracuda's "stealth mod" status

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Barracuda's "stealth mod" status

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am

Last week (May 1st) C_W sent me a PM wondering why she was unable to add barracuda to her "foes" list. I suspected that it may have had something to do with his former status as a mod, so I got Drew involved (and cc'd Jeff).

Drew said the following:

justdrew wrote:no one ever removed his global moderate privs

you want me to?

I replied to Drew and Jeff as follows:

Bruce Dazzling wrote:Jeff,

C_W wanted to add Barracuda to her list of foes, but was unable to do so because, as Drew confirmed below, he still has his mod privs.

justdrew wrote:no one ever removed his global moderate privs

you want me to?

So my question to you is ... do you still want 'cuda to have those privs?

Thanks,

B.D.

Jeff never responded to this message, or any others regarding this topic. Drew, on the other hand, responded as such:

justdrew wrote:ok... I've modified the phpBB code to allow people to put mods(and admins) on their foe lists.

I've not revoked any rights from 'cudda

but I informed CW that the problem is fixed and that she can now add him to her foe list, and explained the problem in a way that doesn't reveal that he still has "stealth" mod rights. CCed Bruce on that message. Not sure if we want to maintain a practice of having stealth mods, but it's your call.

Again, this took place a week ago, and since then, multiple board members have posted publicly about 'cuda's "stealth mod" status,

See below for two such posts. There are more, but I figured that two would be enough to make the point.

I still haven't been able to reach Jeff about this, but I wanted to make sure that you were all aware of what's going on. I, for one, am pretty pissed off about this, and I'd like to know if you were all equally in the dark.

dbcooper41 wrote:the post quoted below raises a couple of questions in my feeble old mind.

1- how was barracuda able to repost what i had deleted in my edit? i suppose he could make a copy of every post when it is made just in case they get edited. but my post was only up for about 30 minutes so he must be effecient.

2- do some people, non-moderators, have special editing rights?

3- if barracuda was reposting for me, on general principle, why not repost everything i wrote.

Canadian_watcher wrote:conniption - barracuda has special privileges - I see you've noticed one of them for yourself. See if you can add him to your blocked list (friends/foes in your settings). I couldn't. I had to ask for help to do it because he was still coming up as a moderator. this was last week.

I was going to keep that to myself but since it's Witch Hunt Week I figured why not share?

Second, they don't hate YOU. they hate anything that doesn't go nicely along with the Big Brother narrative. If you happen to get in the way you'll be treated as if you were public enemy number one. this goes for absolutely ANYONE on this board - step out of line and you'll get yours.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Barracuda's "stealth mod" status

Postby DrVolin » Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Right...

I think as Stewards of Gondor, we should make a decision on this and await the Return of the King, that he may judge us worthy or not. I think you should go ahead and ask Drew to remove Cuda's privs. It has to have been an oversight. We should have a short window on this. Let those who have posted here by Friday evening have voice. Let the others be silent. I'll look at the posts and see if we should make some sort of announcement. Perhaps not.
all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

--Guns and Roses
DrVolin

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Am kinda surprised there's been no further movement on this. This is a fairly gross situation and will require either coming clean & re-building trust, or pulling some political theater. I'd be willing to take the blame for having done this and resign as moderator. I didn't know about this prior and I still don't really care that I didn't know -- it's not that serious out here on the Internets, after all -- and I didn't even realize justdrew had any admin-level access. I don't think it's really incumbent on people to inform me of things when I pay so little attention to objective reality in the first place.

Long story short: let's make rash executive decisions in the power vacuum! WHAT WOULD ALEXANDER HAIG DO, GUYS??
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Sat May 18, 2013 3:33 pm

"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:01 pm

I just gave 'cuda two days on the sidelines for calling conniption a "dickhead" here.

Jebus, I'm beginning to feel like The Hammer of RI.

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Return to Moderators