The Demon Was an Idea (Part Two and a half)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:20 pm

greencrow0 wrote:can you forgive me for taking their part?

You've not wronged me personally, so there's nothing to forgive. I also agree that we're all in an extremely tight spot with no guarantee that we'll emerge from it intact. I'd like to see that happen, of course, but I'm not exactly drowning in optimism at this point. So please, take what you will, add it to your own gestalt, and hopefully, more power to you. Jeff recently gave me one very small bit of advice during a point of confusion for me that struck home and has stayed there every since:

Don't trust me, trust yourself.

I'm sure you don't recieve every proposed belief or bit of information you read as genuine; something on occassion has to give you the same sensation as a cat's hair in your mouth, but yes, open minds are generally better ones, and that comes from the resident xenophobe. Just keep in mind that there's more than one bottom line, and another would definately be this:

Not everything you read is true. Not even here..

Good Luck,
D
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:34 pm

How about just getting rid of the fucking cell phones, we got along without that crap for a long, long time, put them down already. Ill never own one and that is an act more powerful than any mud ball could ever be, thats for sure.

Fuck yeah

i'm with you all the way on that one MP.

Never had one, not planning on starting any time soon.

Not only do they cause your natural telepathic skills to atrophy.

They cook your brain.

BTW That thing about the telepathy skills ... I think there is actually something in that. those things are a subtle skill most people ignore anyway. But thats my POV I don't need to convert anyone to it.

I do wonmder if the seeming decline in critical thinking is due in some part to mobile phone use and its physical effect on the brain of the user.

Without the need for DOR.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:39 pm

of course it is, thats a no brainer. excuse the pun. :lol: there is a definite connection between the two.
MASONIC PLOT

Cell phone

Postby professorpan » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:43 pm

I heart my cell phone.

Tell me how deadly and dangerous they are when you find yourself in a jam and need to make an emergency call. "Boy, I'm glad I never carried one of those DOR emitting death-machines..."

Technology is good and bad. Tools can be used wisely or in a way that causes harm. Keep the friggin' thing away from your head unless you really need to communicate with someone, keep your eyes and attention on the road, and for God's sake, take that freaky wireless earpiece out of your ear -- who do you think you are, anyway -- Lieutenant Uhura?!
professorpan

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:54 pm

People got out of jams just fine 15 years ago without cell phones. Whats changed, has the nature of the jam changed or has your brain been reprogamed?
MASONIC PLOT

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:00 am

Tell me how deadly and dangerous they are when you find yourself in a jam and need to make an emergency call.

Been there.

Would have possibly been in the shit too, if someone else hadn't had one.

But we all take our chances, and pick our risks. One day I might be a snivelling mass or regret. if you must know thats the only reason I have considered getting one. but then all the places they are useful in the context you mention (around here anyway) the are fucking useless and get Nooo signal. At all.

And in fact in the been there scenario that was also the case. the phone would have been useless from where I was cos there was no signal.

So the someone else that came to the rescue had to walk/climb 1 km up a v steep gully to get a signal and call help. I would have been unable to leave the scene and call for help had there been no one else around to help us anyway.

Its a fair enough point tho.

Personally I reckon keep them away from your body.

Its not DOR they emit every 30 seconds but its probably not peace love and mung beans either.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby marykmusic » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:14 am

Joe H said:
I do wonder if the seeming decline in critical thinking is due in some part to mobile phone use and its physical effect on the brain of the user.

No, the decline in critical thinking goes back farther than that, Joe et al.

When my parents went to school, Logic was a high-school class.

I was all worried about the slide rule but didn't have to learn it after all. The "New Math" took care of that.

My kids depend on calculators. Even for the multiplication tables.

It's the "dumbing down" of the educational system that has removed the critical thinking. More here: http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/

That, plus the television and video screen for entertainment.

Back in the day, the Storyteller was of huge importance in the community. The listeners were responsible for "seeing" the story as they heard it. They therefore learned how to use their visualization process, also called "imagination." They also were allowed to draw their own conclusions from the story.

Television came in when I was a kid in the '50's, and imagination started to go out the window so much that the phrase, "Oh, that's just your imagination" became a bad thing. Therefore kids trusted their visualization process less. That's what drove down the self confidence in our own intuition, too.

Of course, the cellphone is just a recent invention in a long line of technological breakthroughs; but just what is being broken through?

I believe it's our basic humanity. Look at how many people go around now with plugs in their ears, not participating in the world. They're not Here And Now (thanks for that reminder, M Plot.) They're somewhere else. --MaryK
http://www.zforcegroup.com

"You cannot wifstand my supewiew intewect." --Tweety Bird
marykmusic

Postby MASONIC PLOT » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:35 am

That much is true, Mary. I agree.
MASONIC PLOT

Joe

Postby professorpan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:52 am

Its not DOR they emit every 30 seconds but its probably not peace love and mung beans either.

I'm with you. I think it's prudent to be cautious about holding an electronic instrument against your head all day long.

And I also hate the annoying, loud, public cell phone talkers. And the hidden earpiece soliloquoys. And seeing a couple in a restaurant spend the entire meal silently texting others.

But I do think they make distance communication easier. That can be a blessing or a curse, depending upon the people and how the devices are used.
professorpan

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:09 am

Mary k I agree with your general point.

But i think mobiles have added a specific element to it. They take it a step further if you like (tho that may not necessarily be intentional, conveinient tho).

I know people who have got them in the last few years who have made that exact comment.

I think they especially fuck with your head when you use them. If I have to use one I feel a slight light headedness sometimes. (ut that could just be the giddy thrill of technology.) So the more time you spend on them the worse they are.

One other winge about mobiles.

I hate the idea of always being connected.

I am already connected to the world, I don't need to always be available to other humans.

People with mobiles hear them ring and have to answer. It would shit me to tears to always have a phone on me, and have that noise potentially disturb me all the time.

I believe it's our basic humanity. Look at how many people go around now with plugs in their ears, not participating in the world. They're not Here And Now (thanks for that reminder, M Plot.) They're somewhere else. --MaryK

Thats a v good point too. It amazes me that people think its rude to interupt a face to face conversation to answer the phone. maybe at home on a landline, but on a mobile phone, anywhere anytime?

There seems to be this rudeness trend with mobiles that goes beyond what prof pan said:

the annoying, loud, public cell phone talkers. And the hidden earpiece soliloquoys. And seeing a couple in a restaurant spend the entire meal silently texting others.

People basically expect humans in front of them to shut up and turn off when the ringtone sounds. there's a pavlovian rudeness that comes in the way a person will shut off the world they are in to talk on the goddamn phone.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:30 am

You guys would laugh your asses off if you saw my anti-cell phone sign I made for my work room at the Tattoo Shop I work in..

:D
"but I do know that you should remove my full name from your sig. Dig?" - Unnamed, Super Scary Persun, bbrrrrr....
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:19 am

Can we?

Pretty please.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Sounder » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:44 am

At the office meeting I told my boss that my phone did not ring or buzz sometimes. So as I continued talking, someone called my phone. I did not hear it even though it was working fine. I hate those fuckers (Cell phones) for so many reasons. Fortunately my boss deals well with my little expressions of irrationality.
Sounder

My patience is not wearing thin.

Postby bubblefunk » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:14 am

Hi everyone - I was previously TroubleFunk, it's nice to be back.

eAe said: "I doubt I'm the only one here who's patience is wearing thin with the orgonite/electrodeathray crowd we're currently accomodating."

eAe, you may be right - but as for me, my patience is just fine. It's no problem whatsoever to either read on or move to another thread. I find the whole Dragon/MaryK discourse fascinating and as credible as anything else. I'm enjoying it, a LOT.

So, when this cell-phone stuff settles down, do feel free to get back to it.
bubblefunk

Re: My patience is not wearing thin.

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:19 am

bubblefunk wrote:I find the whole Dragon/MaryK discourse fascinating and as credible as anything else. I'm enjoying it, a LOT.

So, when this cell-phone stuff settles down, do feel free to get back to it.

No problem.

Et in Arcadia ego

PreviousNext

Return to Activism