Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Dissenting Views

Postby MinM » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Earth-704509
MinM

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Currently-Reading Thread

Postby Freitag » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Inside The LC - The Strange but Mostly True Story of Laurel Canyon and the Birth of the Hippie Generation

(Because I hate reading longform on a computer screen, I made a PDF of the articles and put it on my ebook reader. I'm enjoying it much more that way. It's 200 pages, so it's basically book-length anyway.)
Freitag

Postby Stephen Morgan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:58 am

Freitag wrote:Inside The LC - The Strange but Mostly True Story of Laurel Canyon and the Birth of the Hippie Generation

(Because I hate reading longform on a computer screen, I made a PDF of the articles and put it on my ebook reader. I'm enjoying it much more that way. It's 200 pages, so it's basically book-length anyway.)

PDFs often go badly with ebook readers, there's a programme called Calibre which allows you to create proper ebook formats.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Freitag » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:
Freitag wrote:Inside The LC - The Strange but Mostly True Story of Laurel Canyon and the Birth of the Hippie Generation

PDFs often go badly with ebook readers, there's a programme called Calibre which allows you to create proper ebook formats.

Thanks - you're right, Calibre is a wonderful program. I wish there was something like it to organize audio books. Luckily, my Sony reader does a fair job displaying PDFs. But I do prefer ePubs, if only for the smaller file size.

So I've moved on to McGowan's Programmed to Kill: The Politics of Serial Murder. I'm blown away by it, and I've got this sense of "This seems like a big deal, why don't I hear more about the intersection of military intelligence, satanic ritual/serial murder, drug dealing, mind control and human trafficking on the evening news?"

So, next on my reading list is Maury Terry's The Ultimate Evil, which I've read before but am keen to revisit.
Freitag

Previous

Return to Book Forum