Crowds and Power

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Crowds and Power

Postby barracuda » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:44 pm

There is nothing that man fears more than the touch of the unknown.

Published in 1960, this is a monumental poem (which ruminates the meaning of humanity) in disguise as a clinical socialogical study of the pathology of crowd behaviour. I never could enter a theater or stand in a line of people in the same way after reading this book. Years after I had first read it, I witnessed the very beginning of a riot in downtown San Jose. I watched the transformation of a group of disparate individuals into the churning mass of vandalising rioters via the mechanism of a kernal of seven or eight people whose unconcious activity galvanized the entire street into madness. I just happened to be there when the thing exploded, and as each little domino fell into place, the dynamic followed Canetti's every cause and prediction like clockwork. But this is merely the most surface of readings of this monumental book. Canetti was romantically linked with Iris Murdoch, and both writers share an incredibly dry sense of humor blandly laced into their deep preoccupations with the human condition. You may feel while you read this book that it was written by a veternarian or a biologist about animals, as I did; I think that is because of the relationship between facism and the seduction of the mass which is nicely and dispassionately dissected by Canetti.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby FourthBase » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:50 pm

Bookmarked!
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby StuntPope » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:51 pm

There is a passage in the Jim Morrison bio (Nobody Here Get's Out Alive) where he explains to a friend about a book he had read and if they placed themselves "strategically" around a crowd they were observing they could "make love to it [the crowd]" they could "make it riot".

Years later I picked up Canetti's book and I just knew that this was the book he had read.
StuntPope

Return to Book Forum