The Astonishing Hypothesis

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Astonishing Hypothesis

Postby barracuda » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Francis Crick spent the last twenty-five years of his life researching the phenomenon of consciousness, and his 1995 book on the subject should be required reading at RI. The Astonishing Hypothesis outlines his essential hypothesis, that consciousness is in essence an outgrowth of short term visual memory with a distinct physiological basis which can and should be approached and studied experimentally. His rejection of computer models not based on the actual structure and function of the brain is a a formidable counter to arguments regarding machine awareness. Above all, the book is a great look into the thought processes of one of the fundamental thinkers of the last hundred years which showcases Cricks irreverent humor, his scientific rigor, his impatience with fuzzy thinking and his focused, crackling intelligence.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby OP ED » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 am

indeed.
OP ED

Postby monster » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:17 am

I need to come down to the book forum more often. This one looks good, I've added to my Amazon wish list. Will comment when read.
"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."
monster

Return to Book Forum