An RI Book Club

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: An RI Book Club

Postby elfismiles » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 am

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday. Likely starting to read it today...

:partyhat
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby marycarnival » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Just tried to check the status of my library hold...not sure if it's in yet. The website is not so clear. Usually, I get a phone call when my stuff comes in, so still waiting....

I just had a cool dream last night that took place in a dream version of Seattle that I have dreamed of 3 or 4 times before. Nice to be back for a visit...
marycarnival

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby marycarnival » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Ok, my hold came in, and I will be picking it up today after work.
marycarnival

Postby elfismiles » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Got thru the prologue and introduction yesterday.

Already enjoying it. :thumbsup
elfismiles

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:29 pm

I know I haven't posted much in a long while (it's a long story, but it has been a trying period for me), but I am interested in the book club. I requested the book from my library, and should have it next week. If I don't have it in time for the discussion of the first few chapters, I'll catch up. The book looks really interesting and I too have been moving towards doing more work with dreams.

Book club is an idea that has been lingering in my mind from long ago... I think a good future book to consider would be something that is freely available on the darknets, so that more people will be able to participate, maybe something classic in the 'conspiracy canon."

I think some structure is good - I have been long away from college when I had to read so much, and I think the little push helps me from just being lazy.
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Occult Means Hidden » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Good news Secrets!

Bad news is that it will be a week before I receive mine... I agree, something readily available and free is a plus. My Library system is small to say the least. But something ripped to a PDF is seen to purists as being unfair to the author.
Rage against the ever vicious downward spiral.
Time to get back to basics. [url=http://zmag.org/zmi/readlabor.htm]Worker Control of Industry![/url]
Occult Means Hidden

Postby elfismiles » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:04 am

Well, I've not had a chance to read any further so perhaps delays are a good thing for keeping our momentum clumped together.

Occult Means Hidden wrote:Good news Secrets!

Bad news is that it will be a week before I receive mine... I agree, something readily available and free is a plus. My Library system is small to say the least. But something ripped to a PDF is seen to purists as being unfair to the author.
elfismiles

Postby Occult Means Hidden » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:10 pm

I apologize everyone. Still haven't received mine. I moved to the UK recently so I'm blaming it on the British mail. Feel free to start if you don't want to wait. I'd guess I won't get mine for another week maybe.
Rage against the ever vicious downward spiral.
Time to get back to basics. [url=http://zmag.org/zmi/readlabor.htm]Worker Control of Industry![/url]
Occult Means Hidden

Postby Perelandra » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Put on hold at the library, but it expired before I got there and is now checked out. Leaving tomorrow for a trip, but perhaps I will attempt again once I return.
:sun:
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby marycarnival » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:13 pm

I, being a bit of an impatient sort, have already dived in....taking my time reading it tho--got a novel going as well.
marycarnival

Postby bks » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:56 pm

Should have copy by Friday.
bks

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:42 pm

Well I got it from the library and read most of it. I was reading it concurrently with The Holographic Universe, which helped tame my 'psychic censor' and tendency to dismiss some of the more wild ideas as unlikely and crazy.

It's very helpful for getting started working with dreams. I'm keeping a dream journal now and just had a very detailed dream last night. That's where I am at: just trying to remember them and bring them into my conscious life. Once I do that I'll work more on 'active' or 'lucid' dreaming.

Unfortunately the book has to go back to the library in a few days, and I'm not sure where this thread is going. I'm not sure if the exercises in the book are really appropriate for RI. If 'shared' and 'community' dreaming is indeed possible, then I'm not sure an open invitation to my most inner thoughts and dreams is what I'd want to do with this community. It's too intimate. In fact, I think that's why the dream threads here haven't really taken off...

Anyhow a great book!
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:47 am

OF course there's a lot more to it than the chapter on community dreaming... What I meant above is just that I don't think the exercises in the book are really appropriate for the forum. There are a lot of interesting ideas to discuss in the book.

Upon reflection, I think I'll buy it. Although it may take a bit of time to get it,I just wanted to say I'm still interested in the first installment of the RI Book Club. :)
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Freitag » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Count me in :thumbsup

(For those who really want to participate but can't afford/obtain the book, PM me for a link to a digital copy (epub format).)

People do not despise a thief if he steals
to satisfy his appetite when he is hungry
Freitag

Postby elfismiles » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Reading it in fits and starts ... the one thing it has spurred me to do so far is resurrect my journaling habit - one I've never been able to keep going for more than a couple weeks at a time, with long pauses of years between.

But, yes, am very much enjoying the book.

- SMiles
elfismiles

PreviousNext

Return to Book Forum