An RI Book Club

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: An RI Book Club

Postby elfismiles » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:19 pm

I've been wanting (needing) to plug back into my dreams.

I could get a copy of that book probly.

Count me in. :thumbsup

- SMiles
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby bks » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:

I suppose some people just can't do without structure.

For future reference, Stephen, when you want to join other people in a group activity like this, the proper thing to do is to just express your interest.

But on the chance I'm mistaken, and you really don't wish to be included, then let me thank you for eliminating the one possible concern I had about joining.
bks

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby marycarnival » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:I suppose some people just can't do without structure.

Well, SM, dear, we can't have a 'book club' with people all over the world without a little, doncha think? The structure can be loose, we just have to agree on it...I don't want to discuss a part of the book that others haven't even read yet, y'know? In general, I can do just fine without structure, in fact I quite enjoy spontaneity.

You joining our merry crew, SM? C'mon Mr. Snarky, you know you want to.... :wink

And don't let him run you off, bks...C'mon! Book club! Book club! Book club!
marycarnival

Postby bks » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:25 pm

I'm in, either way. Looking forward to it!

:thumbsup
bks

Postby Occult Means Hidden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:29 pm

This can actually be very constructive beyond just the discussion of this book. I've wanted to explore and record my dreams. Even struggling to remember them is a
challenge. Maybe this will be illuminating in that regard. Then we can have an RI dream experiment and each meet on the mountain of the Sun as our power animals! 8)

By structure I mostly mean going chapter by week and not skipping ahead. I guess Thursday night we'll have a roll call and and estimated time each can get the book. Of course it's open to anyone (even Morgan) at any time.
Rage against the ever vicious downward spiral.
Time to get back to basics. [url=http://zmag.org/zmi/readlabor.htm]Worker Control of Industry![/url]
Occult Means Hidden

Postby marycarnival » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:01 am

Sounds good, OMH.

I think I kinda jumped on the dream thing because I am feeling the same way as you--I have read some great books on dreaming, and have had some very interesting dreaming experiences. I used to do a dream journal, which is a big help when it comes to dream recall. I have gotten out of the habit in recent years, and would like to get back into it.

Then we can have an RI dream experiment and each meet on the mountain of the Sun as our power animals!

:lol2: Yes!

Edit: I found this thread...kinda figured that we already had a dream thread going. Good to know.

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=21084&hilit=dreaming
marycarnival

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 am

Occult Means Hidden wrote:This can actually be very constructive beyond just the discussion of this book. I've wanted to explore and record my dreams. Even struggling to remember them is a
challenge. Maybe this will be illuminating in that regard. Then we can have an RI dream experiment and each meet on the mountain of the Sun as our power animals! 8)

I've found that extensive writing with my left hand stimulate vivid and easily remembered dreams of a bizarre and terrifying nature. But all dreams are like that. I'm glad I don't remember more of my dreams, although one of my first memories, might even be the very earliest, is of a dream I had. An elephant in striped pyjamas bungeeing from the ceiling, and a small chap in a cowl. Most alarming. I used to be in an internet group about lucid dreaming, they were always talking about ways to stop themselves waking up while in the dream, but every time I went lucid I immediately started desperately trying to wake up. Don't like dreams. Then again, waking reality is no better. If my earliest memory of a dream is terrifying, my earliest memories not of a dream are crying because it was my first day at school, wiping blood of my hand on the wall, being chased by a giant predatory feline (well, giant to little me), so memories and dreams are things I think you're better off without and you're foolish to want more of them, especially both together. Bit of a tip for you, though: left hand path, as I said above.

By structure I mostly mean going chapter by week and not skipping ahead. I guess Thursday night we'll have a roll call and and estimated time each can get the book. Of course it's open to anyone (even Morgan) at any time.

That's exactly what I object to. Reading books is fun, it should not be tamed. Read this book because we said so, read this chapter tomorrow, don't fall ahead, don't get behind.

marycarnival wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:I suppose some people just can't do without structure.

Well, SM, dear, we can't have a 'book club' with people all over the world without a little, doncha think? The structure can be loose, we just have to agree on it...I don't want to discuss a part of the book that others haven't even read yet, y'know? In general, I can do just fine without structure, in fact I quite enjoy spontaneity.

You joining our merry crew, SM? C'mon Mr. Snarky, you know you want to.... :wink

And don't let him run you off, bks...C'mon! Book club! Book club! Book club!

First it's the chanting, then it's the flags, then it's the death camps. I'll stay in the corner with my obscure books of eighteenth century verse and imperial explorers, thankyou.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby marycarnival » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote: First it's the chanting, then it's the flags, then it's the death camps. I'll stay in the corner with my obscure books of eighteenth century verse and imperial explorers, thankyou.

Ok, do that. Whatever floats your funny boat, SM. :thumbsup

And I'll thank you to not compare my enthusiasm about getting involved in a book club to Nazism. That's just jerky.
marycarnival

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Well, that's where enthusiasm leads to. Doing things. And doing things never did anyone any good.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby elfismiles » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Well, my local libraries have a couple Robert Moss books and audio recordings but none are the one in question so, gonna go ahead and buy a used copy via Amazon.

Two other dreaming books I highly recommend:

HEALING DREAMS by Marc Ian Barasch
http://www.healingdreams.com

and

MUTUAL DREAMING by Linda Lane Magallon
http://dreamflyer.net/research/mutualdreaming.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby marycarnival » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:Well, that's where enthusiasm leads to. Doing things. And doing things never did anyone any good.

You goofball. :clown

Oh, and this probably belongs on the dream thread, but I used to have a creepy recurring dream as a young 'un involving being suspended in a deflated raft from the ceiling of a basement, and watching a black cube with a skull face hop down the stairs and laugh at me....

Your dream you shared reminded me of that. Thanks, Stephen Morgan. :crybaby
marycarnival

Postby Perelandra » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:
Occult Means Hidden wrote:This can actually be very constructive beyond just the discussion of this book. I've wanted to explore and record my dreams. Even struggling to remember them is a

I've found that extensive writing with my left hand stimulate vivid and easily remembered dreams of a bizarre and terrifying nature. But all dreams are like that. I'm glad I don't remember more of my dreams, although one of my first memories, might even be the very earliest, is of a dream I had. An elephant in striped pyjamas bungeeing from the ceiling, and a small chap in a cowl. Most alarming. I used to be in an internet group about lucid dreaming, they were always talking about ways to stop themselves waking up while in the dream, but every time I went lucid I immediately started desperately trying to wake up. Don't like dreams. Then again, waking reality is no better. If my earliest memory of a dream is terrifying, my earliest memories not of a dream are crying because it was my first day at school, wiping blood of my hand on the wall, being chased by a giant predatory feline (well, giant to little me), so memories and dreams are things I think you're better off without and you're foolish to want more of them, especially both together. Bit of a tip for you, though: left hand path, as I said above.
OMH, often RI people appear in my dreams. Mostly they represent archetypes.

I've experienced prediction many times in dreams, sometimes with specific information, so you can dream forwards. I never try to do so, though.

Thanks, Stephen, for the reminder about left hand exercise. I need to try more of those. A mystery to me for years was my hypnopompic heard poetry and song, seeming to pop into consciousness fully formed. Now I think it's just my right brain at work.
No need to be afraid of dreams.
:backtotopic:
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby Occult Means Hidden » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:13 am

Will take a week for the book to arrive. It sure would be nice if we could have six people. Perelanda?
Rage against the ever vicious downward spiral.
Time to get back to basics. [url=http://zmag.org/zmi/readlabor.htm]Worker Control of Industry![/url]
Occult Means Hidden

Postby marycarnival » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:40 pm

My library hold still hasn't come in. Looking like next week sometime.
marycarnival

Postby Perelandra » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:54 pm

Occult Means Hidden wrote:Will take a week for the book to arrive. It sure would be nice if we could have six people. Perelandra?

It is kind of you to invite me. I'm more in Stephen's camp about reading, although that doesn't preclude interest in your experiment.

If it's at my library, I'll look it over.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

PreviousNext

Return to Book Forum