reading and writing passe

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

reading and writing passe

Postby Inkwhyring » Tue May 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Reading,writing-spelling,punctuation,and the lost art of cursive are no longer a requirement of our school system anymore,apparently.Reading has been replaced by the ever more fantastic yet realistic DVD games,and movies-Blu-Ray,Ultra-Violet,and of course,3-D.Who needs a good book,or an imagination?And with everything on computer,who needs to write anything by hand-at most,typing might come in handy,but is certainly not necessary.There are spell-check and other programs that preclude you from needing to know how to spell,and punctuate-I don't think grammar means anything anymore,let alone syntax.I guess I'm just old-fashioned,but it makes me sick to see teenagers,and adults,that have been through school,and don't know how to spell,or use a comma,or When To CapitaliZe! :shrug:
Inkwhyring

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: reading and writing passe

Postby DrEvil » Tue May 28, 2013 4:46 pm

tl;dr

Formatting is also important. :)
But I agree with your general sentiment. I have met plenty of people who are functionally illiterate.
Give it another 15 years and written english will consist of :grumpy & %""#_oo_
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby harry ashburn » Tue May 28, 2013 6:18 pm

I studied passé in college... I can speak it ok.... cant read or write it well yet.
A skeleton walks into a bar. Orders a beer, and a mop. -anon
harry ashburn

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 29, 2013 12:03 am

Inkwhyring » Tue May 28, 2013 2:39 pm wrote:Reading,writing-spelling,punctuation,and the lost art of cursive are no longer a requirement of our school system anymore,apparently.Reading has been replaced by the ever more fantastic yet realistic DVD games,and movies-Blu-Ray,Ultra-Violet,and of course,3-D.Who needs a good book,or an imagination?And with everything on computer,who needs to write anything by hand-at most,typing might come in handy,but is certainly not necessary.There are spell-check and other programs that preclude you from needing to know how to spell,and punctuate-I don't think grammar means anything anymore,let alone syntax.I guess I'm just old-fashioned,but it makes me sick to see teenagers,and adults,that have been through school,and don't know how to spell,or use a comma,or When To CapitaliZe! :shrug:

Do you think there's an irony in your post? Especially at "spell,or use a comma,or..."? I presume it's your machine doing that, but why?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 29, 2013 12:05 am

Hey oh shit! Quote function now links to quoted post in the byline. Wild. Thanks... Drew?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 0_0 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 pm

A lot of socalled civilized people don't even understand latin anymore!
playmobil of the gods
0_0

Postby Lord Balto » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:59 pm

I once showed a young man where I used to work a copy of a census sheet, and he was amazed that I could even read script. Forget knowing how to write it.
Lord Balto

Postby Lord Balto » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:25 am

0_0 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:09 pm wrote:A lot of socalled civilized people don't even understand latin anymore!

I realize you're trying to make a point, but much of English nonfiction in the 18th Century and earlier was written in Latin, so if you are trying to research anything that happened then, or was studied then, you really do need to understand Latin. It was virtually the 2nd official language of England from the time of King Arthur (AD 431-468/475).
Lord Balto

Return to Book Forum