Plant/seed resources

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby chiggerbit » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:55 pm

My mom had a sunroom attached to the south side of the house. She grew what she called a "sour orange" tree from the seed of an orange that I think she brought back from Texas one year. It actually produced oranges. This was in Minnesota.
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Asian Vegetable Seeds

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Evergreen Seeds

24 varieties of daikon! 11 types of luffa! 6 kinds of edamame!
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby chiggerbit » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:45 pm

I've finally discovered why I love some oranges and why some are a big disappointment for me. My favorites are the naval oranges from California, and it would be a big problem for me if anything happened that deliveries of them topped to the Midwest. Yummmm.

Here's another good seed resource, for the home gardener and the commercial grower.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

I see they sell seeds for sprouting, for eating the sprouts as food. I may give that a try.
chiggerbit

Postby Perelandra » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:15 pm

These are my favorites, Seedsavers is a great resource too. Was it posted?

http://www.raintreenursery.com
http://www.territorialseed.com

I have a lemon tree and an orange, potted. Not much success yet, they need to be repotted and get a little extra TLC soon. I planted a dwarf sweet cherry a couple weeks ago and am trying to sprout a sour cherry pit from a neighbor's tree.
Perelandra

Whatcom Seed Company

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:28 am

Whatcom Seed Company

Seeds for purple brussels sprouts, black bat plant, multi-colored tomatoes and carrots, redwoods, baobabs, palms and bonsai-suitable trees.
A jaw-dropping assortment.
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby chiggerbit » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 am

With regards to seeds for sprouting I mentioned above:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2 ... prouts.php

US agency warns of salmonella in sprouts

REUTERS
Reuters North American News Service

Apr 26, 2009 16:32 EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told people Sunday not to eat raw alfalfa sprouts, saying they may be contaminated with salmonella.

The contamination appears to be in seeds so washing the sprouts may not help, the FDA said in a statement.

"Other types of sprouts have not been implicated at this time," the agency said.

"FDA will work with the alfalfa sprout industry to help identify which seeds and alfalfa sprouts are not connected with this contamination, so that this advisory can be changed as quickly as possible."

The FDA said 31 Salmonella Saintpaul infections have been seen in Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, and West Virginia.

"Some reported eating raw sprouts at restaurants; others reported purchasing the raw sprouts at the retail level," the FDA said.

"This outbreak appears to be an extension of an earlier outbreak in 2009. In February and March, an outbreak of Salmonella Saintpaul infections occurred in Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, and Minnesota," the FDA added.

The FDA has been struggling with several high-profile outbreaks of food poisoning, including salmonella linked to peanut products. Congress is discussing the possibility of setting up a new food safety agency with more resources than the FDA has. (Reporting by Maggie Fox)

Source: Reuters North American News Service
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Sun May 03, 2009 3:34 pm

chiggerbit

Postby myriadsmallcreature » Sun May 03, 2009 3:57 pm

I also recommend www.richters.com highly. Good stuff.

The quality and customer service and the shipping are all excellent.

Others I have patronized this year...

www.horizonherbs.com
www.tradewindsfruit.com
www.kennedyseed.net
www.bountifulgardens.org
Bountiful Gardens was established by John Jeavons, whoever he was, with the biodynamic philosophy drawn from the writings of Rudolf Steiner, and the french/intensive gardening practices of Alan Chadwick. The aim here is to produce a complete diet in the smallest possible space. You might give a look here even if you aren't in the market for seed.

Most of what's available from the above sites is open-pollinated to organic.

www.starkbros.com is good for trees and bushes, etc., and is better especially since they changed hands a few years back.

More commercially...

www.homeharvestseeds.com is an outlet for ferry morse seeds

I haven't had any problems with any of them, yet.

Tradewinds is more oriented toward tropical and subtropical plants--though not completely--but is worth a look.

A friend of mine swears by www.johnnyseeds.com for variety and quality and service, but I can't vouch for them myself.

Good luck!
myriadsmallcreature

Postby myriadsmallcreature » Mon May 04, 2009 12:04 pm

By the way, Richters has not sent their plants and seedlings yet (at least not to me), because of the relatively late frost date around Toronto. I just received my French shallots a couple days ago.

So don't think it's too late to order.

The day to begin gardening is always today.

If you are a novice, don't try to do too much. Begin with just one plant. Grow the most pernicious weed if you want, just so you can savor the success. The most pernicious weeds often have great food value.

A pot full of lettuce, radish and spinach is nearly foolproof. You can have a complete salad in about 24-30 days. Best food in the world.

Bon appetit.
myriadsmallcreature

Postby chiggerbit » Mon May 04, 2009 1:22 pm

My daughter, who thinks of herself as a metropolitan city gal, can't help herself, still feels instinctively compelled to plant some pot tomatoes that she grows from seed she saves from the horrible California tomatoes, even though her apartment patio has too much shade. Bless her heart, she does still get tomatoes.
chiggerbit

Postby myriadsmallcreature » Mon May 04, 2009 1:33 pm

I have found that the newest 6500k (daylite) cfm's--the curly fluorescents--do a great job of encouraging plant growth until the flowering stage, though I am not encouraging the use of cfms over natural daylight. Probably find out there's something wrong with them on the quantum level. Ha!
myriadsmallcreature

Postby chiggerbit » Tue May 26, 2009 9:52 pm

I'd like to see more about your "operation", myriadsmallcreature. Forgive me, but I'm snoopy. Ninacat posted some pics of his for us, which I really enjoyed. What hardiness zone are you?
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:15 pm

Cool, I just found this plae that sells the Arkansas Black apple tree, as well as other nut and fuit trees, vines, plants:

http://www.willisorchards.com/
chiggerbit

Previous

Return to Self Sufficiency