Discuss rationale for self-sufficiency

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Discuss rationale for self-sufficiency

Postby chiggerbit » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:34 pm

On a thread on the general discussion board not long ago, I think maybe the subject was economc melt-down, there was a bit of discussion on whether or not individuals would want to "survive" if others were dying, I think of starvation.

Anyway, I thought this would be an interesting discussion on a broader scale, say to include not only melt-down, but also natural disaster, etc. Why be prepared? Is it only for kooks? Is it selfish?
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chiggerbit » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:52 pm

Of course, since I started the topic, I get to be first. So, here's an interesting site on preparedness, etc., and this fellow makes a very valid point about our current food delivery system which is JIT, or just in time. Grocery stores would run out of food within a couple of days. If a disaster happens, and say transportation is interrupted, how do food, emergency supplies get to those who need it?

The way I look at it, the more people who are prepared and self-sufficient, the less drain they are on the rest of the un-prepared population's diminishing resources, since the government isn't going to do it for us (Katrina).

See link also for the rest of his his discussion also on "how", with his tip for "food torpedos", as well as his other links:

http://theepicenter.com/tow04166.html

A "Positive Post-Disaster Imaging" Program
Food & the "Food Torpedo"

This year, in an effort to "Bring the message to the people" in a more positive manner, a new approach seems to be in order. Rather than concentrate on the word "Survival" (important as that word is), I am instead going to attempt to direct the attention of the reader to a time period after a major event, whatever it may be, wherever one happens to be at the time.

To me, disaster and all that is entailed has been presented in a backwards manner with the stress always being on the before rather than the after. I bring your attention to the fact that all concerned in such matters focus all their attention a la the "Command Post Syndrome." The planning that goes into this effort always has now rather than then as its emphasis.

"Now" planning involves all that direction and organization of essential services, virtually eliminating any involvement by the masses most concerned at disaster time. We, the people, are supposed to stay where we are, be it stuck on the freeway or under the rubble of our houses, and wait for 'THEM" TO DO THEIR THING. Even the most inept math student can figure out that there just isn't enough of "them" to go around!!

Since being involved with the Japanese and their approach post Kobe, I once again present to you the simple logic I have been espousing for 15 years:

"Where will you be?"
"What will you do?"
and, using Positive Post-Disaster Imaging
"What will you need?" .......
chiggerbit

Postby Brighid_Moon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:46 pm

chiggerbit wrote:Anyway, I thought this would be an interesting discussion on a broader scale, say to include not only melt-down, but also natural disaster, etc. Why be prepared? Is it only for kooks? Is it selfish?

I think in the wake of Katrina that it's pretty obvious "why" we need to be prepared for any circumstances. I don't think it's necessary to run our lives around it, or be paranoid, but I do think it's common sense, and not just "something for kooks" (despite what cynics may think!) :wink: And I don't believe it's any more selfish than taking care of one's self in order to possibly be able to help others care for themselves (of course, that's only me thinking that here, of course it could be a purely selfish motive in some!) Kind of like recently I've seen the analogy around to "put on your own oxygen mask before you help another".

If the inevitable happens (despite the cause) the minimum would be a drain on the public (as in your example about grocery stores)... the maximum would be lack of energy, transportation, communication, et al. Without these things, many people will become scared, and unfortunately many of those will become violent (not to mention the ones who actually try and take advantage of such situations by robbing and hurting people). These things need to be taken into consideration as well. And yes, there are not enough of "them" to go around and police and help everyone. So the more an individual is able to tend to themselves without the help of simple things we all take for granted, the better off they're going to be if a situation does ever arise.

And again, the more they'll be able to help others do the same, which will lead to less panic, and hopefully, potentially, save lives.

A "Positive Post-Disaster Imaging" Program wrote:"Where will you be?"
"What will you do?"
and, using Positive Post-Disaster Imaging
"What will you need?" .......

Very important things to consider. Thank you for posting that, Chiggerbit!
Brighid_Moon

Postby chiggerbit » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:53 am

One of the reasons I like to stay prepared for emergencies is that I am within an area that could be affected by a serious New New MAdrid earthquake. In a worst-case scenario, the government might not be able to take care of everyone, so communities outside the regions most seriously affected will need to pitch in to help. A new FEMA report on New MAdrid was released last November:

http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/maps7.htm
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Found this when I was trying to find anything about sewage and earthquakes for timetunneler's threa, thought it was a bit informative. I keep my car prepared for emergency all year round, not just winter months--ready to get out, if necessary, and ready to use as an alternative shelter, if necessary.

http://www.scchealth.org/Docs/ems/docs/ ... after.html

After The Earthquake

REMAIN CALM. TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND EVALUATE WHAT HAS HAPPENED AROUND YOU! Be prepared for aftershocks.

Do NOT use elevators

Tune your radio to the local Emergency Alert Station (KMOX) for the latest information and assistance available.

Check for injuries. Do not attempt to move seriously injured persons unless they are in immediate danger of further injury.

Wear sturdy shoes to protect your feet from fallen glass.

Check gas, water and electrical lines and appliances for damage. If you smell gas or see a broken line, shut off the main valve (outside the house). Do not switch on the gas or electricity again until the power company checks your home (this could take days or weeks, depending on the extent of damages). It would be best to find shelter else where. Also know where the main shut offs are for water and electric.

Use flashlights only for light! Do not light matches or use any open flames, i.e. candles.

If there's a fire and you can fight it without getting hurt, put it out with the proper extinguisher. DO NOT USE WATER ON ELECTRICAL OR GAS FIRES.

Assume downed power lines are carrying live current and avoid all contact.

Do not use the telephone. It must be reserved for life-or-death situations. (Long distance service (pay Phone) may be on sooner than local, if you have family or friends outside the state <as far away as possible> make sure that each family member has that number and use it as the point of contact to check on each other if your family has been separated.

Check to see that sewage lines are intact before you use the toilet. Plug bathtub and sink drains to prevent sewage backup.
(The following information is issued by the Missouri Department of Health and the Missouri Emergency Management Agency)

SEWAGE DISPOSAL following an EARTHQUAKE:

What will happen?
In an emergency such as a large magnitude earthquake, sewer lines will probably be damaged and become inoperable. Sewage may back up and broken water lines may become contaminated by sewage.

What Should I Do?
If stoppage in sewer lines is suspected or obvious, discontinue discharge of wastewater in house or building sinks and drains and stop flushing toilets. Avoid contact with any overflow wastewater or sewage.

If I Can't Flush the Toilet, What Can I Use?

Large extra-strength trash bags (double bags) may be placed in tight plastic or metal containers, with tight fitting lids, or used as liners in toilets. Household disinfectant can be used for odor control. Final disposal can be by burying or by sanitary sewer when notified by public health officials.

A dug latrine or trench 2 to 3 feet deep can be used by bury human waste. Spread a thin layer of powdered lime or dry chlorine bleach and a layer of earth each time it is used. Mark the latrine site with a stick so others know where it is.

Portable camp toilets, RV toilets, porta-potties, etc., can be used.

High occupancy complexes such as apartments, condominiums, and office buildings should consider making arrangements to obtain commercial chemical toilets.
What About Sewage Overflow in My House?
Wash all contaminated areas with detergent and water, then rinse with sanitizing solution of one tablespoon household bleach (5.25% sodium hypochlorite) to each gallon of water. Be sure to clean and sanitize all contaminated areas -- pay special attention to cooking utensils, work surfaces and other surface areas such as floors and walls which your family and pets may come in contact with.

I don't know about you, but I think I'll start keeping more bleach around the house. Lots of other links at this site.
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:13 pm

It's interesting that the New Madrid earthquake zone--which unlike most earthquake zones is in the middle of a continental plate (interplate), while most of the rest are at the edges of continental plates-- is near the confluence of the three largest rivers in the US, the Mississippi, Ohio an Missouri rivers.
chiggerbit

Return to Self Sufficiency