Solar

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Solar

Postby chiggerbit » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:34 am

I've always felt like I must have been a sun worshopper in a previous life, so I suppose it's only natural that I believe that solar is the real alternative energy way to go. It looks like solar is moving forward, as this company, which is marketing to utility plants, would seem to indicate. I hope they come out with products for individual consumers in the future.

http://www.nanosolar.com/blog3/2007/12/ ... st-panels/
chiggerbit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:32 pm

Woodn't it be nice if I could spel beter?
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Hey, anybody have any homemade solar ideas?
chiggerbit

I am still learning...

Postby Seventhsonjr » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:03 pm

chiggerbit wrote:Hey, anybody have any homemade solar ideas?

I designed and built a passive solar home with most of the windows (except a few for light) on the south side which heats my house on sunny days and is built into the side of a hill and with the foundation surrounded by hay bales sealed/wrapped in plastic bags.

As time goes on I am learning how to capture the heat from the sun as much as possible with dark tiles and rugs and I heat with wood, gas and oil (depending on the time of day and cloudiness).

I want to mention that when I was in Israel about a decade ago practically every single Israeli house had a solar water heater/rain collector on the roof.

Simple hay bale and passive solar designs can create small and large structures fairly simply and inexpensively with just a little know how.
Seventhsonjr

Solar Ovens and Solar Cooking Links

Postby slow_dazzle » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:51 am

Ovens are available commercially but I'm going to make my own and practice using it. 8) Better to know how to do it before the grid goes down and not afterwards :lol:

Solar cooking looks like it has a lot of potential.

solar cooking archive

another good site

Solar Oven Society

Yahoo solar cooking links directory
On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather.

John Perry Barlow - A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
slow_dazzle

Postby chiggerbit » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:08 pm

nevermind
chiggerbit

Postby myriadsmallcreature » Sun May 03, 2009 12:57 pm

You might consider the use of patio doors, available for free, if you're lucky and look hard enough, in most metropolitan areas.

Most patio doors are made of dual-pane, insulated glass sheets, usually about 36x80 (a perfect fit for small trucks and vans) and are ideal for applications such as south-facing trombe walls and greenhouses. Their light transmission rates are excellent and they last 'forever'.

There are plans on the 'Net.

http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/35.html

For a little extra inspiration, you might look at this...

I have about eight of them leaning against my studio presently, ready for the cold weather.
myriadsmallcreature

Return to Self Sufficiency