What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re:

Postby Stephen Morgan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:26 am

Perelandra wrote:I see a possible avenue toward seasonal production of high-quality local cider.
Enjoy the apple hunt.

I'am afraid that I lack production facilities for even amateurish scrumpy manufacture. Haven't even got a shed.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Perelandra » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:33 pm

The writer says this cost him about $30. Just in case you or someone you know is handy.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1976-09-01/How-To-Build-A-Cider-Press.aspx
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Perelandra » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Well, I doubt that I'll see my grapes and figs ripen properly. They simply didn't get enough sun.

The citrus have gone inside under lights. I picked half a dozen lemons this summer and it's loaded with little green ones now.

It's almost time to plant the garlic. When I figure out why my computer won't recognize my media card, I'll post some more photos.
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Everything was about a month late this year, it's amazing. I still have green tomatoes, so today I cut all the branches left and hung them up to ripen. Pulled the cucumbers which were still going also.

There's an apple tree up the street that's loaded with dark red, white-fleshed, very flavorful apples. Have made some applesauce and will take my ladder soon to get more. I hate to see fruit go to waste. On another neighbor's property is a large tree covered with an immense old grapevine, they look like a concord type. Picked a few to make juice with. Will have to see if I can take a ladder over there too.

Perelandra

Re: What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Postby barracuda » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:26 pm

BANANA UPDATE!!1!

After about ten months on the stalk, the buddhist nun across the street informed me that I should probably consider cutting down the hands of fruit. It was she that originally sold me the modest shoot I planted five years ago which has blossomed into a small grove. She said if the temperature falls to freezing it would ruin the harvest. And after all, it has been getting pretty cold here - I think it was down to 58 degrees the other night. Brrr! So I sawed down the plant.

It turns out that the entire twelve foot banana stalk is simply the stem of the flower, and once the plant flowers and fruits it is no longer viable and must be cut down. But my original plant has given birth to five smaller stalks growing up around it, the largest of which is about six feet tall already. So in another five years or so, I might have more fruit! But at the moment I don't care, because I have more bananas than I know what the hell to do with, and I'm eating them at every meal. They're small, but tasty.

Nature's Perfect Food!

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Elihu » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 pm

bada$$ farmers! one and all.
I'am afraid that I lack production facilities for even amateurish scrumpy manufacture. Haven't even got a shed.
for the rest of us, $ucks to be a sucker. that the way baseball go...
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby NaturalMystik » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:47 pm

"What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?"

With fall well underway and winter on our doorstep, I'll be harvesting nothing but melancholy for a few months...

Although that being said I've started growing 'sprouts' on the counter in mason jars. Turns out this is an awesome way to get some fresh and tasty (not to mention untainted) greens...
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby Perelandra » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:46 pm

^Don't be sad, it's only about three months until seed-starting time commences. I have not tried sprouts before, maybe one of these days. I bet they're easy.

Wowee, b! Lucky, those are so cool. When too many of them turn ripe at once, you can freeze them for smoothies. Just dip them in lemon juice first so they don't turn brown.

I'm a month behind on the garlic, will post a pic later. We've had a good fall, hardly any frost yet and not too much rain.
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 pm

I did finally plant the garlic a few weeks ago, along with some mixed lettuces and herbs for early salad greens in the spring. The green lemons are very slowly growing in the cellar.

Presently making jam for gifts from fruit frozen back in the summer. Tangelo season approaches, perhaps the most delicious citrus. Must look into growing one.

I can't believe I've never foraged for mushrooms. Come spring, I'd like to hunt morels.
Perelandra

Re:

Postby NaturalMystik » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:53 am

Perelandra wrote: I have not tried sprouts before, maybe one of these days. I bet they're easy.

Yes, they are very easy. Although if you live in a hot/humid environment, it could be a little trickier.

Throw some seeds into a mason jar, sunflower sprouts are awesome as are 'mung' bean sprouts (ie typical asian food sprouts), I tried lentils which people also seem to love but the flavour wasn't doing it for me. Just soak the seeds over night for 12 hours(ish). Then I take a piece of cheese cloth and an elastic to cover the opening and drain. Twice a day pour water into the jar, rinse the seeds and drain. You'll have a jar full of spouts ready to eat in 4 or 5 days(ish). Throw the jar in the fridge when they are ready and they'll keep for a week or two.
NaturalMystik

Postby Perelandra » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you for the info, Mystik. Do you just use seeds/beans from the grocery store? I will try it soon.
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:21 pm

This gift I received is growing fairly well on the kitchen counter.

I have a nearly dead potted aloe and have read conflicting advice. I hardly water it because they don't like too much, but maybe it's not enough. Think I will repot it and attempt to start over. Any advice appreciated.
Perelandra

Postby Hammer of Los » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:55 am

I need to get on with my wood carving.

There's only so many hours in the day!

Hammer of Los

Re:

Postby NaturalMystik » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Perelandra wrote:Thank you for the info, Mystik. Do you just use seeds/beans from the grocery store? I will try it soon.

You can get the seeds/beans from local health food or bulk food stores. Or you can also by 'sprouting' seeds online. If you are buying typical garden seeds though it's important to make sure they are for sprouting because a lot of seeds are meant for growing and not eating directly, the food they grow is fine but not the actual seed. That is why most stuff from health/bulk stores should be fine because it's all food grade.

Just finished a batch of sunflower seed spouts, they are amazing! So spicy and fresh tasting. Betcha can't eat just one...
NaturalMystik

Postby Perelandra » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:40 pm

My favorite season is here, except for the part about it not being very warm, like until July.

Have been harvesting many weeds and planting a few things, sweet peas and other flowers and herbs mainly. Some various starts are going in the kitchen. The garlic is up! The potatoes should have been planted on St Paddy's day, but a week or two won't hurt. I will make a new 4' x 8' bed for them in the near future and post some pics soon.
Perelandra

PreviousNext

Return to Self Sufficiency