In the Night Garden - Surreal Landscape of Nostalgia

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 am

"This is the way to the garden of night" (video)

In the Night Garden began airing in Canada this week. I'm not sure why, but something about it and its odd and hard to place melancholia resonates with me, and I can't seem to watch it without my face getting wet. (Maybe it's just Derek Jacobi's narration, and the way he sings "Yes my name is Iggle Piggle")

The stars seem to blister like burning film as they open into pink flowers. The night sky segways into the blossom on a cherry tree, and we follow the falling petals and see a group of characters hopping and waving in a bandstand surrounded by woods.

This is the psychedelic opening sequence of In the Night Garden, the recent under fours TV show. The scene apparently represents the shifts into dream state, and it's the most beautiful and surprising cosmic screen scene since Dave Bowmans journey through 2001s slit-scan landscapes. In both we go 'through' the sky into an alternate reality.

This particular alternate reality comes from Anne Wood and Andy Davenport of RagDoll, co- creators of the Teletubbies, and bona fide auters of kids TV in era of poorly animated, pre-teen-plotlined, ham-fisted edutainment.

In the Night Garden is by contrast, quiet, calm, with an atmosphere of sadness that is out of kilter with the upbeat rictus grin of most kid-fodder. And it is intentionally so. Wood explains their motivation: "We became very aware of the anxiety surrounding the care of young children which manifested itself in all kind of directions - but the one big subject that came up again and again was bedtime. It's the classic time for tension between children who want to stay up and parents who want them to go to bed... so this is a programme about calming things down whereas most children's TV is about gee-ing everything up!"

Maybe nostalgia is a significant way of faking a sensation of love - and all media, just like its creators wants to be loved. It tugs at the heart strings and moistens our eyes with a tenderness that certainly feels authentic. It hijacks our fear of the future and provides a haven for the ache for other places and other times.

Though it may feel part of us - even welded to our core - these are often memories of externally provided images rather than internal experiences. They've been formed after the event, by consensus and communicated to us through media. Nostalgia is often as impersonal as the memories of the Nexus-6 replicant Rachel in Blade Runner. There are semi-memories that we've learnt from family Super 8 films, from endlessly repeated clips, and a media in constant state of historical revisionism. Never before has so much information been available with instant recall. The dividing line between our own memory and the capture and cataloguing of time that digital technology has allowed.

Its effect is so powerful - beyond logic or argument - that it is hard to see whether nostalgia is a subject or object, a technique or a mode of operation. Perhaps, like drunks hell bent on another shot, we're addicted to the sensation overpowering us and delivering us into oblivion.

If this means living in a world which will edge ever closer to In the Night Garden, I'm all for it. The idea that amateurish craft and high technology might reside in reverberating synthesised harmony, that genre splicing and scale hopping might become a way of life, and that giant inflatable good-natured things will wander the streets, I'm all for it. Maybe - finally cut loose from an outmoded 19th century idea of progress - we'll find ourselves liberated and excitedly repeating our names over and over again because nothing more need be said.

http://www.strangeharvest.com/mt/archiv ... ght_ga.php
Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:26 am

Fascinating and aptly placed in the Culture Studies forum.

"Maybe nostalgia is a significant way of faking a sensation of love - and all media, just like its creators wants to be loved. It tugs at the heart strings and moistens our eyes with a tenderness that certainly feels authentic. It hijacks our fear of the future and provides a haven for the ache for other places and other times. "

This also rings the nostalgia bell in a not unrelated way:

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins

Dylan - Masters of War

I never had children myself but I found myself drawn to giving my niece books like The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and movies like The Snowman by Raymond Briggs, both of which are drenched with a sweet melancholia and relate the ephemeral impermanence of it all and the folly of holding onto things too tightly.

From Herman Hesse's, Demian:
[page 48] If I wanted to, I could recall many delicate moments from my childhood: the sense of being protected that my parents gave me, my affectionate nature, simply living a playful, satisfied existence in gentle surroundings. But my interest centers on the steps that I took to reach myself. All the moments of calm, the , "islands of peace whose magic I felt, I leave behind in the enchanted distance. Nor do I ask to ever set foot there again.
That is why -- as long as I dwell on my childhood -- l will emphasize the things that entered it from outside, that were new, that impelled me forward or tore me away.
These impulses always came from the "other world" and were accompanied by fear, constraint, and a bad conscience. They were always revolutionary and threatened the calm in which I would gladly have continued to live.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Re: In the Night Garden - Surreal Landscape of Nostalgia

Postby judasdisney » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:55 am

Sidenote/Warning about my following post: The comments could be reasonably accused of sounding sour or negative at first, but it's more an examination of darkness, and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry if they're a bummer, that's not the intent ... Consider the obsession a reflection of my sickness

Jeff wrote:Though it may feel part of us - even welded to our core - these are often memories of externally provided images rather than internal experiences. They've been formed after the event, by consensus and communicated to us through media. Nostalgia is often as impersonal as the memories of the Nexus-6 replicant Rachel in Blade Runner.

I think about this exact topic quite a bit. It's a well-traveled topic in my head, for years.

There is a strange tyranny of nostalgia.

Through my early years of studying music, I identified the strange and manipulative strains of this "tyrannical siren of nostalgia" in my own autodidactic examples (at the time, I was studying the music of The Beatles, which is a cultural example that is rife with the deliberate and manipulative uses of nostalgia ... think especially of Paul's compositions "Your Mother Should Know" and "Honey Pie" and "When I'm Sixty-Four" and the uniforms and mustaches and eyeglasses of the "Sgt. Pepper" era, which were designed to evoke a manufactured, background nostalgia for the U.S. era of 1900-1910, one of the economic "sunshine decades").

I came to feel that I had an unhealthy, corrupt tendency toward nostalgia -- both this external, manufactured type, as well as my own private garden of Eden. I could give a full analysis of this dysfunction, but I saw within myself that this "drive toward nostalgia" was fueled by and/or connected to Thanatos (the death drive) and a warped, inward-directed, almost narcissistic and infantile concept of Eros, or at least one of the primitive stages of conceptualizing Eros that we all must go through.

I also could not avoid an analysis of nostalgia that echoes Thule and the seeds of Aryan concepts and Nazi mythology: the entire foundation of Nazi mythos is rooted in this same nostalgia that I described in the previous paragraph. There is a sick side to nostalgia.

I decided when I was younger to "get off the freeway" regarding nostalgia-ism, at least as far as nostalgia is presented to us in certain corners of our culture. I think it's also part of a certain "drive to unify" that society also has, of which there is a healthy side, and of which there is a very sick side.

There are different types of nostalgia. There is a "Collective Nostalgia" which invites us to seek our identity in "the mob." This echoes a universal drive we all have to "return to childhood" and restore the Edenic feelings of "losing ourself" and losing our identity in the amorphous union of us with our parents (the Edenic union we once had). It's a powerful feeling, and a powerful drive.

There's also a private, personal nostalgia that arises from specific artifacts of our own history. We may have a desire to share these artifacts, again seeking to unify with a whole, which may not necessarily be "dysfunctional." It all depends on whether we're seeking to reincarnate that "golden age" from our past, which is sort of by-definition a retreat from the future, a withdrawal from forward-looking life affirmation.

A lot of ham-fisted pop-psychology here, yes, but these have been some of my conclusions about (or negotiations with) nostalgia.

I sound like I'm demonizing nostalgia here: there is a sweet-natured and healing side to nostalgia as well. I'm ruminating more on the quote above found within Jeff's post: "Though it may feel part of us - even welded to our core - these are often memories of externally provided images rather than internal experiences."

The etymology of the word "remember" is inherently a healing concept -- to literally "re-attach" and "re-member" ourselves, the opposite of the term "dismember" which we associate with serial killers.

But as a participant here in the RI forum, examining the darker and more shadowy side of these topics, I'm writing here about the darker side of nostalgia. And as Brainpanhandler quotes from Herman Hesse above: "But my interest centers on the steps that I took to reach myself."

I, too, have my own signposts of the mystical world of childhood cultural artifacts -- CBC's "The Friendly Giant," the Sid & Marty Krofft psyops of the 1970s, Captain Kangaroo & "Just-So Stories." It's a rich vein that's very much worth examining for parts of ourselves -- and even our potential -- that has been lost.
judasdisney

Postby Jeff » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks for the comments.

I don't think it's just nostalgia here for me, though that can be a strong force. There's also the honouring of dreamtime that, for all the supposed fantasy in children's programming, seems quite rare and special.

Some of the best times I've ever had have been when I'm asleep.
Jeff
Site Admin

Surreal Landscape of Nostalgia, indeed

Postby IanEye » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:15 pm

judasdisney wrote: the Sid & Marty Krofft psyops of the 1970s

indeed, i have a strong nostalgia for "Lidsville" even though as an adult I know that show is totally fucked up...

I think part of the strong pull the show has for me is that it was filmed at Astroworld in Houston Texas, where I had some strange experiences as a child.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Barely ON-Topic

Postby annie aronburg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:39 pm

The Friendly Giant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUQPxiT_zQ

When I was three I wrote a letter to this man asking him if he could get me a cloud.

He wrote back and told me he had my cloud in Rusty's bag and I could come get it whenever I liked.

For some reason I thought Rusty lived in a Crown Royal bag which is obviously not the case.

When my boyfriend want to soothe me he plays the theme on his saxophone.

annie
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Re: Barely ON-Topic

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:40 pm

annie aronburg wrote:The Friendly Giant

Best home movie ever uploaded.

In the Night Garden's theme is the most pacifying since Friendly's. And nothing's as pacifying as Friendly's.
Jeff
Site Admin

Kelowna H.C. OK!

Postby annie aronburg » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:41 am

Jeff wrote:
annie aronburg wrote:The Friendly Giant

Best home movie ever uploaded.

In the Night Garden's theme is the most pacifying since Friendly's. And nothing's as pacifying as Friendly's.

Speaking of the Friendly Giant, here's Donny Wolchuck and Friends

Gentlemen of Horror
Don't Sell Me Nothing
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZkD1nTeX2s&feature=user]Urban Killboy
[/url]
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg