Donnie Darko - Parapolitical message hidden in movie?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: still unclear

Postby thoughtographer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:51 pm

Nothing I could say to you will ever clear up your crippling fear of other people's ideas.<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>The problem lies with which behaviors/entities are promoted and which are discouraged.<br><br>Documentaries which one can get emotional about-<br>'The Corporation.'<br>'The Fog of War.'<br>'The Agronomist.'<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Thanks for the permission, Kommissar.<br> <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thoughtographer>thoughtographer</A> at: 4/4/06 8:59 pm<br></i>
thoughtographer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Significance of emotion.

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:03 pm

We posted at the same time and on the same wavelength. Good.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>My experience in the various arts has taught me that all forms of human artistic expression are inherently manipulative. It's just the way it works; the whole point, as it were.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Sure. Absolutely. <br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Where <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>you seem to often see conspiracies, I see occasional artistic "victories"</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> insofar as the creators have used their knowledge inventively enough to provoke me to look at a segment of the world from a different perspective, or with greater scrutiny.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Well...<br>I'm not saying everything is "a conspiracy" but since I see far more than others do I'm not surprised to experience dismissiveness.<br>"Oh, come on. Surely not Disney and Chicken Little."<br>Hell yes. Especially Disney and Chicken Little.<br><br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Propaganda is for those susceptible to it, the young, illiterate, naive, misinformed, anxious, etc.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Not you and me.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> Well, atleast not me. And probably not you either. lol.<br><br>I note the timeless themes and the event-specific stuff in case it IS intentional since, as I suppose you know, <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>everything in art and politics is intentional.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> THAT also comes with the territory and needs scrutiny. <br><br>Information is a matter of life and death, not merely entertainment. So I examine it to see if it is booby-trapped and it usually is. Much more than I expected. I'm still rather gasping over this myself, not at all comfortable with it. (See 'Zombies' and omnipresent angst. lol)<br><br>For instance, in examining Southlands one finds in the movie credits of the celebrity voices exactly what I'm pointing at as almost omnipresent: themes of male domination, female problems, violence, and war. That's the recipe for the male domination cult called fascism. Who'd-a-thunk-it? There it is.<br><br>Hope this makes more sense to you. I really am trying to make sense, not drama. That's someone else's job. I just see it. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: "crippling fear of other's ideas"??!!

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:10 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Thanks for the permission, Kommissar.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Hey, I was illustrating that emotion is a good thing in culture. <br>You know, agreeing with you about that being the point, really.<br><br>Not sure why you think I'm afraid of ideas.<br><br>Maybe as you read my post to catch up you'll see differently.<br>Posting here is a bad ryhthm for a dialogue. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: Significance of emotion.

Postby thoughtographer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:16 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Well...<br>I'm not saying everything is "a conspiracy" but since I see far more than others do I'm not surprised to experience dismissiveness.<br>"Oh, come on. Surely not Disney and Chicken Little."<br>Hell yes. Especially Disney and Chicken Little.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Yeah, I know. I make a point of watching Disney movies for the same reasons, only I don't bring them up in the discussion of completely unrelated works if I can avoid it.<br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Propaganda is for those susceptible to it, the young, illiterate, naive, misinformed, anxious, etc.<br>Not you and me. Well, atleast not me. And probably not you either. lol.<br><br>I note the timeless themes and the event-specific stuff in case it IS intentional since, as I suppose you know, everything in art and politics is intentional. THAT also comes with the territory and needs scrutiny.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Do you know much about art or music history? They're both full of examples where the artist's work is often a coded, or even obvious attack on either the patrons, the audience or both. Prince and Marcel Duchamp spring immediately to mind, but I could go on and on.<br><br>And yeah, I'm slow. I'm trying to work on a drawing in between posts. <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thoughtographer>thoughtographer</A> at: 4/4/06 9:19 pm<br></i>
thoughtographer

Cherita is an angel and other notes

Postby Mentalgongfu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:59 pm

Hugh, you make some good points, but I do think you tend to see orchestrated conspiracies where it appears to me to simply be artistic expression. A friend of mine is writing a comic book about a group of superheroes and supervillians created by the government in a secret military program - viewed through your lense, when it comes out, you might see some pro-military "agitprop" due to the storyline and the illustrations in the first issue. However, knowing the author as I do, and knowing where the story goes, it becomes quite clear that is not the case. <br><br>But you and thoughtographer have covered that line of discussion enough. <br><br>Someone earlier in this thread questioned the young age of the writer/director of Donnie Darko. Being 24 myself, I don't find this quite so odd. There's obviously quite a bit of talent there - but there are numerous examples of blazing talent in people much younger.<br>If I were to write and direct a movie, it would lean much more toward Darko-style themes than, say, a family comedy. <br><br>The use of repetitive numbers and associations with animals, colors, water, etc. is intriguing, but does not necessarily lead to a deep hidden meaning. Such techniques are very common in film making. 13s are in almost every horror movie. I've dabbled in amateur film making (VERY amateur) and even I knew enough to work in things like that. A film tells the story in images and will make sense even without the sound, which is what it seems the director was trying to do. Plus, a lot of film makers do things like that just for fun, to get people like us looking for them and wondering about them. <br><br>That said, I do find some of the connections noteworthy. What's up with the deer and Frank's link to water?<br>Keep in mind, (except when someone screws up) everything you see in a film is there for some reason, even if the reason is the director is just screwing with you.<br><br>The fact the director was able to get financing for the film and get some big names like Drew Barryomore involved is a little more curious. But if he came from a wealthy, well-connected family, it's less surprising. <br><br>I don't think I'd want to try to count all the 8s and 88s in the film, but I find the connection to time travel a lot more plausible than a neo-nazi them. The "88 reasons . . ." link posted earlier in this thread mentions several time and time travel references involving 88. <br><br>Does 8 have any significance in Christian mythology? (i.e. 5 is the number man, 7 is the number of God)<br><br>Cherita Chen is an angel-type figure. She says almost nothing in the movie, except for reading the card in the JC Lifeline exercise and responding "shut up," even when Donnie trys to comfort her near the end of the movie. She's painted as a goody-goody and is connected with a swan. She's sitting behind Donnie in the classroom scenes. <br><br>When the police make all the English students write "they made me do it" on the chalk board, the scene starts with them calling a "Sam Bylan" or some such. The camera pans to Donnie. They call Donnie's name, and he goes up to write next to line #8. Afterwards, there is a shot of the officer's clipboard. In between Bylan and Darko's names is Cherita Chen. The name is crossed off, but she was never called to the board. <br><br>There's a lot of religous subtext, such as talk of 'traveling in god's path," Donnie calling Cunningham the Antichrist, and the bully Seth Devlin. <br><br>The connections and references in this movie are endless. That's what makes it a great work of film, in my opinion. I doubt there's any single overarching message one can draw from Donnie Darko- I see it more as a spiderweb leading to a lot of intriguing subjects. <br><br>I think it's at least premature at this point to draw conclusions about NASA influence and propaganda. I don't exclude such possibilities, but so far it's just conjecture. Just being related to a NASA employee doesn't do it for me. <br> <p></p><i></i>
Mentalgongfu

Re: Now we're getting somewhere

Postby bvonahsen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:17 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The connections and references in this movie are endless. That's what makes it a great work of film, in my opinion. I doubt there's any single overarching message one can draw from Donnie Darko- I see it more as a spiderweb leading to a lot of intriguing subjects.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>Well sure, and when I am drawing what I do to sort of "free associate" onto the paper. I believe that it is the opinion of some that when you deconstruct a work of art, any connections you discover, even those unintended by the artist, are vaild. That is a view and philosophy that I find intriguing but I'm not sure that I but into it. I am unconvinced that the universe works that way, but heck, I don't know, maybe I'm wrong?<br><br>You could construe the process of making art to be very like channeling. It feels that way to me. When I am drawing or sketching I feel more like I am the medium and guiding the piece onto the paper. I'm not in an altered state, just concentrating hard on the task at hand. But I do see getting my critical self out of the way to be helpfull when I'm creating. <br><br>So, if I create a mixed media piece that has a flaming skeleton in the foreground with all kinds of subliminal figures embeded into the flames and in the background is a city in flames and I put in the margins all around the border "Something wicked this way comes..." and I make this art work in August of 2001... do you suppose that has any significance? <br><br>I do and I did. <p></p><i></i>
bvonahsen

Automatic Art

Postby JD » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:57 am

Yes that is an interesting idea, equating the creation of art to automatic writing.<br><br>I think that some art has esoteric meaning that the artist did not intend to put there. The mechanism of it being placed by an "automatic writing style" occurance hadn't occured to me.<br><br>Does anyone else have experience with this? Does anyone know any serious arts types they could get to comment on it?<br><br>I think there are forces around us than do not generally recognize.<br><br>I think these forces sometimes influence events in strange ways. These forces assist in the creation of improbable events that simply can't be explained rationally.<br><br>Accordingly to explain all this Rational People fall into either the "coincidence theory" or "conspiracy theory" to explain these improbable events.<br><br>In the past "The Gods" may have been the primary explanation, but for the past few centuries in the west other explanations have been more fashionable.<br><br>Long winded way of say that I think a lot of events we frequently interprete as "what's the odds - there's gotta be a conspiracy" or "how could that be....." or "an amazing coincidence, eh?" may be not be either conspiracy nor coincidence but something entirely more interesting.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
JD

re: getting somewhere

Postby Mentalgongfu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:06 am

I don't know if I qualify as "a serious art type," but I would agree there is a kind of chanelling, or perhaps an irrational and interesting influence in most art. Automatic.<br><br>At least, when I write, play music, or draw, I feel much more like I'm tapping into something "out there" than as if I'm "creating." <br><br>Law of conservation of energy, perhaps. <p></p><i></i>
Mentalgongfu

Re: Automatic Art

Postby thoughtographer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:08 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Does anyone else have experience with this? Does anyone know any serious arts types they could get to comment on it?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>I don't fit the bill as a "serious art type", but I do have experience with it.<br><br>Leaning on the wall next to me is a small oak platform and maple <!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planchette">planchette</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> that I made back in college to implement "automatic drawing" while sketching, because like many others before me, I find that exploting the ideomotor effect is a valuable tool for extracting information lodged in my subconscious. I don't use it much, because most of the time it's just a fancy gag to distact myself, so it sits around looking pretty. The planchette with an attached writing tool was the precursor to talking (Ouija) boards, and were widely used by spiritualists in the mid 1800's as a seance tool.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Long winded way of say that I think a lot of events we frequently interprete as "what's the odds - there's gotta be a conspiracy" or "how could that be....." or "an amazing coincidence, eh?" may be not be either conspiracy nor coincidence but something entirely more interesting.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Hell yes.<br> <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=thoughtographer>thoughtographer</A> at: 4/4/06 11:11 pm<br></i>
thoughtographer

Re: re: getting somewhere

Postby bvonahsen » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:13 am

It is the whole basis to remote viewing, at least that's my understanding.<br><br>There are quite a few artists who claim to have a psychic connection in their art. <br><br>It works that other way too you know. I mean... the viewer of a piece in trying to understand it may go into a slightly altered state and come up with their own "stuff". That "stuff" may well be comming from their own paranormal perceptions. <p></p><i></i>
bvonahsen

Re: re: getting somewhere

Postby thoughtographer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:27 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>It works that other way too you know. I mean... the viewer of a piece in trying to understand it may go into a slightly altered state and come up with their own "stuff". That "stuff" may well be comming from their own paranormal perceptions.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>In my experience, this phenomenon can be downright spooky when you get honest, unsolicited feedback from someone who's not trying to pick apart your work for the sake of their ego; or conversely, trying to boost yours with false praise. <p><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>"A crooked stick will cast a crooked shadow."</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></p><i></i>
thoughtographer

questions

Postby Mentalgongfu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:07 am

not to derail the discussion re:art, channeling, etc., but can any of you help illuminate these questions from my earlier post: <br><br>What's up with the deer (connected to Cunningham and Kitty) and Frank's link to water?<br><br>and <br><br>Does 8 have any significance in Christian mythology? (i.e. 5 is the number man, 7 is the number of God) <br><br>Also, if anyone here has seen the move "Mean Guns" with Ice Tea, that movie has a subtext which may deserve its own thread. <p></p><i></i>
Mentalgongfu

time travel, the afterlife, etc.

Postby Tetsuro » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:22 pm

<br><br>The concept the movie relies on to support its premise is quite novel, though I wonder where the real roots of it came from. Time travel as a possibility for dead people and this one particular "Frank" (another word for honest or hot dog) seems to be in a messianic bond with Donnie, as the time discrepancy/tangent was supposed to destroy the universe, according to Roberta Sparrow, and Donnie was to sacrifice himself...<br>Most people I talk to about this movie don't like it or think it was "boring" BORING?! most don't have patience enough or leisure time enough to watch it a second or third time. It is an important work, and the resonance of "the end of the world" date made for me, the deepest impact. And, <br>Would some "higher power" at work arrange for disembodied spirits to travel back in time to "fix" things such as a tangent in time created by...what?<br>Was this akin to the way spirits working through a medium help them to sove crimes, the way frank does through Donnie to resolve the pedo ring...?<br>Pretty Occultic, dontcha think? <br>What about the official story of the ressurection, and there are no ghosts implication that that means? The whole anti-christ thing stated above, and the whole anti-christ thing in revelation...<br>perhaps i'm in the wrong kind of forum to make dangerous statements that point to the validity of the Bible, not merely as a tool to use as a frame of reference but as a living truth that this movie indirectly points at, throughout. Though it points this out by showing the contrast between the kind of person Donnie is and comparing him to a Christ figure.<br>-He points out the utter absurdity of the Smurf scene, the assumptions and his conclusion are not merely humorous but disturbing, and telling of his mental state.<br>-He breaks down the veil of the established religious figure, played by Pat Swayze, by showing the truthless-ness of his whole continuum, being far too simplistic, etc.<br>I should really watch this movie again to make some more annoying comments. <p></p><i></i>
Tetsuro

balancing act?

Postby IanEye » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:50 pm

Has anyone pondered the fact that because Donnie is successful in going back in time and dieing, he is now not in a position to uncover Jim Cunningham’s pedo ring? So, not everything is “solved” by his sacrifice. <p></p><i></i>
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

time travel

Postby Tetsuro » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:37 pm

The concept the movie relies on to support its premise is quite novel, though I wonder where the real roots of it came from. Time travel as a possibility for dead people and this one particular "Frank" (another word for honest or hot dog) seems to be in a messianic bond with Donnie, as the time discrepancy/tangent was supposed to destroy the universe, according to Roberta Sparrow, and Donnie was to sacrifice himself...<br>Most people I talk to about this movie don't like it or think it was "boring" BORING?! most don't have patience enough or leisure time enough to watch it a second or third time. It is an important work, and the resonance of "the end of the world" date made for me, the deepest impact. And, <br>Would some "higher power" at work arrange for disembodied spirits to travel back in time to "fix" things such as a tangent in time created by...what?<br>Was this akin to the way spirits working through a medium help them to sove crimes, the way frank does through Donnie to resolve the pedo ring...?<br>Pretty Occultic, dontcha think? <br>What about the official story of the ressurection, and there are no ghosts implication that that means? The whole anti-christ thing stated above, and the whole anti-christ thing in revelation...<br>perhaps i'm in the wrong kind of forum to make dangerous statements that point to the validity of the Bible, not merely as a tool to use as a frame of reference but as a living truth that this movie indirectly points at, throughout. Though it points this out by showing the contrast between the kind of person Donnie is and comparing him to a Christ figure.<br>-He points out the utter absurdity of the Smurf scene, the assumptions and his conclusion are not merely humorous but disturbing, and telling of his mental state.<br>-He breaks down the veil of the established religious figure, played by Pat Swayze, by showing the truthless-ness of his whole continuum, being far too simplistic, etc.<br>I should really watch this movie again to make some more annoying comments. <p></p><i></i>
Tetsuro

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Studies