Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: "A Mother is God to a child.."

Postby FourthBase » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:22 pm

Are you constipated or something?<br>Fine, whatever. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JerkyLeBoeuf » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:26 pm

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Are you constipated or something? <br>Fine, whatever. </em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Dude, YOU'RE the one being a dick here. <p></p><i></i>
JerkyLeBoeuf

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:29 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://p216.ezboard.com/frigorousintuitionfrm10.showMessage?topicID=5774.topic">p216.ezboard.com/frigorou...5774.topic</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby FourthBase » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:29 pm

WTF???????<br>This is retarded.<br>My comments were ENTIRELY on topic.<br><br>I'm leaving the thread per Et's request...But for the record I want it duly noted that none of my points or questions were addressed by anyone except streeb. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Postby JerkyLeBoeuf » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:34 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>for the record I want it duly noted that none of my points or questions were addressed by anyone except streeb. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>You mean the part where you asked self-declared horror fans to choose whether we were a) masochistic sickos or b) twisted sadists? <br><br>Gee... I wonder why your query fell on deaf ears? <p></p><i></i>
JerkyLeBoeuf

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:36 pm

Grist for the OT:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://mattzollerseitz.blogspot.com/2006/03/blood-and-guts-christopher-kelly-sees.html">mattzollerseitz.blogspot....-sees.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/entertainment/movies/14185412.htm?source=rss&channel=dfw_movies">www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/enter...dfw_movies</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby FourthBase » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:57 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>You mean the part where you asked self-declared horror fans to choose whether we were a) masochistic sickos or b) twisted sadists? <br><br>Gee... I wonder why your query fell on deaf ears?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>No, it fell on mute mouths.<br><br>I just read that ABSOLUTE HORSESHIT article that Et posted, and it actually supports everything I was saying and even goes further to indict the whole genre than I did, and Et doesn't even realize it because he's a "horror fan" who was so flattered that the horror genre was being taken pseudo-seriously.<br><br>Look, you two: I said my goodbyes, and you kept on talking to me. When I leave this thread -- again -- don't say <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>one fucking word</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> to or about me, got it? Or I will not respect Et's request and I will continue to post my perfectly on-topic posts HERE. Now, maybe I'll see you in the other thread, maybe I won't. Good bye. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Postby DireStrike » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:57 pm

Horror films didn't used to be about slicing people up, and even today they aren't always. Those were slashers. I think real world pain and terror has crept into the very idea of "scary", making it a more concrete thing these days.<br><br>I've long been a horror fan. Perhaps the most read books from my childhood library are the "scary stories" collection gathered by Alvin Schwartz. I don't remember any gore in those, and my favorite stories were one about cats, in which no violence occurs at all, and another about an idea that seems to kill people or cause them to go brain dead. The creepy pictures were cool also.<br><br>My memory seems to tell me that good horror movies had no violence, or only implied it. The Blob - he could "get" you, but... that was it. "It" - there were sharp teeth. "In the Mouth of Madness" - ???? Perhaps I was just sheltered from the gory crap. Wikipedia has an article on horror films, with mentions by decade: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film#1950s">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_film#1950s</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Cheap gore shock and "jump-out" scares always struck me as the hallmark of a crappy movie. And so we come to today, where good movies are incredibly rare.<br><br>Why? Well, I'm a gamer, and it's interesting to hear that the game market is bigger than the movie market. In that light it is easy to see how hollywood, a relatively monolithic industry, can be influenced. But I think a far bigger influence on culture and, thereby, movies, has been the internet. Desensitization has grown as culture became more "mass", if you ask me. Information has been steadily growing more abundant. People had long been overwhelmed by the time the internet came about. And when it did, it just added to the problem. <br><br>Those who want to experience things can no longer waste time with nuance. "Just show me the worst and the best you've got - I'll guess the rest." Have you ever heard of a XX movie? Of course not. There were X movies, and then somebody came up with XXX. Nobody was going to make a movie that wasn't quite as sexy. (Although the internet seems to have finished that, too - you can find absolutely any kind of sex from hard to softcore, and everything in between.)<br><br>And so we just jumped to using the worst possible things in movies. Because you can go to a website and watch a man be beheaded. Hear the - well, I don't want to trigger anybody. But my point is that you can find the absolute bottom rung of humanity online.<br><br>Silent Hill was... not quite a <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>crappy</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> movie... but it wasn't that good either. It was attempted fanservice that failed. Silent Hill the game was FAR better than the movie could have hoped to be. There wasn't that much gore in it really, except at the hospital... where it was sort of appropriate to that sphere of terror. The gore in the movie was, I think, only there because of the idea that "scary movies have gore in them." Perhaps worse was that it was impossible to sympathize with anyone being killed, except<br><br> * spoiler*<br><br><br><br><br>the law enforcement figure.<br><br><br><br><br>*end spoiler*<br><br><br><br><br>I actually laughed once or twice when the others were being killed. The gore is hardly even noticeable anymore. Any type of gore. It was a cheap and dull tool so badly abused by the industry that it doesn't even work anymore. Plus, you can find better stuff on the internet. Stuff that they can't show. Stuff that's Real. If anyone <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>wanted</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> to see every excruciating detail of... anything... they can now. Movies can't compete, try as they might.<br><br><br>Now, Drama... that I can't watch. Who wants to feel that bad? I really dislike movies where bad things happen at just the wrong time to people who really don't deserve it - tragedy, in short, which seems to be the defining characteristic of most dramatic movies. Emotional suffering, even if obstacles are overcome, is just so painful. I can see the value of some of these things as motivational - <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>if they can overcome THAT, surely I can deal with my little problems</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> - but what I don't get is junkies of this genre. Being scared isn't that bad... when you know you're safe. Seeing people dismembered isn't that bad... when you know that those people never existed. But hearing terrible things is always painful. I'd like to get by with a minimum of that. I'd rather go to bed with the light on than cry myself to sleep. <p></p><i></i>
DireStrike

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:00 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Et doesn't even realize it because he's a "horror fan" who was so flattered that the horror genre was being taken pseudo-seriously.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Jesus christ, what a fucking idiot.. <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby JerkyLeBoeuf » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:02 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>When I leave this thread -- again -- don't say one fucking word to or about me, got it?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Go suck an egg, you annoying, vapid little prick. <p></p><i></i>
JerkyLeBoeuf

Postby DireStrike » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:09 am

ah, is this the insult thread? I'll cross post my comments to the other one. <p></p><i></i>
DireStrike

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:11 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Horror films didn't used to be about slicing people up, and even today they aren't always. Those were slashers.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Correct. The one's historically of least interest to me, btw.. <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby FourthBase » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:21 am

Et and Jerky -- You want to continue? I'm game. You two think you've pegged me as some "type" you're familiar with, and you have no fucking clue. You could have reasonably discussed the issue with me, but you chose to be offended by my original posts when I meant nothing personal by them. Stop boxing shadows, I'm not the kids who picked on you for being horror geeks or whoever you still resent for doing whatever.<br><br>Just shut the fucking hell up, ok? <br><br>Again: Goodbye. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Postby Et in Arcadia ego » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>You could have reasonably discussed the issue with me, but you chose to be offended by my original posts when I meant nothing personal by them.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT SATISFYING YOUR OWN CLINICAL CURIOSITIES REGARDING HORROR FANS, WHY DO YOU UTTERLY FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THIS ONE SIMPLE FACT? <p>____________________<br>Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night.</p><i></i>
Et in Arcadia ego

Postby FourthBase » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:30 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT SATISFYING YOUR OWN CLINICAL CURIOSITIES REGARDING HORROR FANS, WHY DO YOU UTTERLY FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THIS ONE SIMPLE FACT?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br><br>If you think that my original replies weren't within the realm of on-topicness created by your original post, then you're fooling yourself.<br><br>Goodbye. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Studies