"Horror Fans" for Dummies

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

RE

Postby Quentin Quire » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:15 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>When your neighbors are in a house on fire, you are either pulling them out...or watching them burn.<br><br>This is the black and white dichotomy of surviving or dying.<br>And you are either using your brain to help others or you are amusing yourself while they burn.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Equating watching Horror movies or any form of Entertainment with watching your neighbours die in a house fire is an offensive viewpoint that's beyond what I'd expect from even the most rabid right-wing fundamentalists.<br><br>Yes there's evil, atrocity and hideous things occuring in the world. Everyone on this board can agree with that. But to assert that those who enjoy or create entertainment, art or culture are somehow compliant or complicit in the denial or furtherance of these agendas is just plain offensive, if not to say elitist.<br><br>How are things up on your high horse, Hugh?<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Quentin Quire

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: FourthBase gets to the crux of the media bisquit

Postby Attack Ships on Fire » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:16 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And you are either using your brain to help others or you are amusing yourself while they burn.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>While I read your post twice, I assume that you are trying to make a connection between those of us that choose to watch and enjoy horror films and literature and somehow being numb to the world around us. I think I'm living proof that is not the reality.<br><br>How many people sit everyday absorbed by soap operas and don't care about world politics? Or simiarly, those obsessed with sports? Extremes can be found no matter what genre of entertainment you are referring to.<br><br>By your own example, you could say all of us are wasting our time posting messages on this board when we could be out there using this time volunteering in the real world. I just happen to believe that every individual is allowed to have side diversions in their life, and if all this talk of mind controlled assassins, sex slaves, secret elite world societies and underground child sex rings are the truth, God knows one would go mad if they spent all their focus looking into that abyss.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Attack Ships on Fire

Postby orz » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:08 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Entertainment = mind control.<br>Information = resources for peace and justice.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Simplistic thinking = evil <p></p><i></i>
orz

Postby FourthBase » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:19 pm

I think Hugh made some very good points but as usual overshot his load with simplistic and sanctimonious certainties. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Re: Quentin Quire's comment

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:02 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>But to assert that those who enjoy or create entertainment, art or culture are somehow compliant or complicit in the denial or furtherance of these agendas is just plain offensive, if not to say elitist.<br><br>How are things up on your high horse, Hugh?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Well, that was a predictable response which is why I predicted it hoping to preclude it. Oh well.<br><br>"Just plain offensive" - does that mean it isn't true? Not the same thing. I understand no one likes to be told "if you aren't doing X you should be." <br><br>Perhaps you aren't connecting what else I said, that 'amoral' would be a better description for those who are ignorant or naive as in "forgive them for they know not etc."<br><br>But we are biologically designed by evolution to be social animals for our own survival. And the elite have relied on the CIA's co-opting of the behavioral sciences to squelch our communal nurturing instincts and thus perpetuate a permanent war economy and mentality to prevent peace and social justice.<br><br>That's not "simplistic," that's history and a big problem - how to reactivate our instinct to protect each other in the face of all the offered distractions and false reasons to not 'make a difference,' a mawkish term which has real meaning nonetheless.<br><br>As for the accusation of being an "elitist," I would note that anyone reading this online is by definition an ELITE on this here planet.<br><br>And yes, there are people who know more things and have more resources than others and might be called "elites." Those "elites" have a moral mandate to protect those in need who probably don't have the same resources.<br><br>This is the prime human directive based on family dynamics of children and parents: The Strong Must Protect the Weak.<br><br>So just because so many elites PREY on the weak that doesn't mean they don't exist or are by definition "evil."<br><br>"A great potential is a great burden" and many of us seize on whatever offered justification for leaving it up to others is offered to us. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 8/24/06 6:07 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: orz's comment

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:10 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Simplistic thinking = evil<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Well you certainly made your point...not.<br><br>Not all 'truths' are complicated. Much of the most important information is buried in complicated confabulation and word-mongering.<br><br>I come to this website to both learn and share what I've learned, not for amusement.<br><br>I don't have time for fiction because there is a fascist government with scores of heavily-financed minions working 24/7 to keep the world as it is and even make it worse.<br><br>While you are going to the mall to get a visual roller-coaster ride they are killing some one.<br><br>Some may not like to face that fact but it is a fact just the same. If this disturbs you (as I think it should) it is not my doing. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=hughmanateewins>Hugh Manatee Wins</A> at: 8/24/06 6:17 pm<br></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: FourthBase's comment

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:09 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>simplistic and sanctimonious certainties.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Simply put, I don't have time for fiction and I really don't have time to watch simulated atrocity and suffering. I've studied what it is used for in mass psychology and want to encourage people not to go there.<br><br>Maybe if I'd just posted that in the first place I wouldn't have gotten the predictable reactions suggesting I was some kind of zealot. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby FourthBase » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:42 pm

Fair enough, Hugh. I hear you.<br><br>Got any links for the mass psychology? <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

Postby JerkyLeBoeuf » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:17 pm

Hugh... you "don't have time for fiction"?!<br><br>I won't insult everybody's intelligence by pointing out why I find the above comment so incredibly fucking hilarious, coming from you. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jerkyleboeuf>JerkyLeBoeuf</A> at: 8/24/06 9:18 pm<br></i>
JerkyLeBoeuf

Re: "Horror Fans" for Dummies

Postby JerkyLeBoeuf » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:29 am

...not that I don't read, enjoy, and occasionally agree with your pop-culture deconstructionist posts, btw. <p></p><i></i>
JerkyLeBoeuf

zzz

Postby orz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:21 am

HMW, my reply was kind of intentionally ironic... but also true.<br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Information = resources for peace and justice.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>Gibberish. Revealing tho. I mean, you don't say "Truth ="... <br><br>From the evidence of your posts, you merrily take on 'information' that is total nonsense, while ignorantly dismission great and important truths because they come in a form that you don't understand/enjoy. You seem happy to mix good and bad information and present it as fact which for me is worse than deliberate 'fiction'... when I see some stupid movie at least I don't believe it to be true, and (more importantly) the writer, director etc don't believe it to be true either!<br><br>Your standard of 'Information' seems to mean "anything I agree with" regardless of whether it's true, backed up by evidence, physically possible, etc etc.<br><br>And if 'peace and justice' is the aim then I don't really see how mildly irritating/entertaining some folks on a messageboard with demented stream of conciousness postmodern deconstruction of pop culture is gonna get us there? :-S<br><br>"I don't have time for fiction" is indeed hillarious coming from a notorious spinner of total off the top of your head fantasies without a shred of evidence...<br><br>Also "I don't have time for fiction" = I don't have time to be human. <p></p><i></i>
orz

z

Postby orz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:24 am

Oh, and please allow me to underline out a nice irony, whereby you disprove your notion of 'information' and 'entertainment' being fixed, opposing forces:<br><br>I find your posts <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>highly entertaining</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> but almost completely lacking in any real/useful information. <p></p><i></i>
orz

Re: zzz

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 am

orz, I also don't have time for insulting rants. <p></p><i></i>
Hugh Manatee Wins

Re: zzz

Postby FourthBase » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:20 am

Hugh, if you post the links to whatever you'd read about simulated violence and mass psychology, that might actually get the thread back on topic. <p></p><i></i>
FourthBase

n

Postby orz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:09 pm

neither do I, i got bored before the part where I was going to say "sorry for the insulting rant" and post something constructive. <p></p><i></i>
orz

PreviousNext

Return to Culture Studies